Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build help USB

Options
  • 20-10-2011 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Have just put a new pc together with help from advice I got here. Really happy with it so thanks guys :)
    Only one small problem. The case I have has 4 usb 2.0 ports. My mother board MSI p67a-gd55 Has one usb 2.0 header(supports 2 ports) and one usb 3.0 header. So I have 2 of the ports setup with the 2.0 header is there any way to convert the 3.0 header to 2.0 so all 4 ports on the case work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

no.

You could try change the ports/connecting cables out out for usb3s though.

You could probably do something with a USB2 hub powered by molex, but it's a bit of a hardware hack solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ok. something like this should work
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-USB-3-0-Front-Panel-Drive-Bay-20Pins-2-USB-3-0-/260840193895?pt=AU_Components&hash=item3cbb497f67

But all of them are 3.5" , that's floppy drive size right? My case only has 5.5" external bays :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ok have changed my mind, I have loads of usb ports front and back anyway. Does anyone know where I could get dust caps to cover the unused ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Does it matter? Do you cover all your USB ports when you don't have something in them? They're not going to accumulate enough dust to warrant covers. If you really want, grab some black electrical tape or something.

Advertisement