Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler decided he hates sleep..

• 20-10-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Myself and the missus are slowly going insane! The little fella (26 months) who was always a great sleeper has suddenly decided he doesn't like going to bed! When we put him down he roars, screams the house down.

When he finally nods off he will wake within a few hours and the screaming resumes. He wakes his older sister up (separate room) and basically we're all tired. This has been going on for over 2 weeks now.

We've tried controlled crying and he just ends up being hoarse, and even if he does stop after a while he will wake later. The other night he was up at 12, 2:45 ,4,5 and 6:20, each time screaming until one of us goes in to re-assure him we're still here!

Now we have not changed anything, we have a nice little night time routine, no TV and just a few stories.
    Healthwise he seems fine, no temperature and is in decent form during the day, just whingey sometimes...but hey, he's 2!

We have also tried sitting with him in the room until he nods off and then sneaking off to bed...but he will wake shortly after and the hell resumes!

Folks, can ye offer any advice if he were ever in a similar situation? Should we just ensure he's OK and leave him cry it out and keep this up?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

If he s been sleeping up to now you d imagin ethre has to be a cause!!

But my first boy had shocking brokrn sleep til he nearly 3.
    We now also have 18month old who s a bit hit and miss. THe usual dont communicate at all just sitthere if you have tobe in room. But under no circs no talking at all.

I know this might seem a very insane suggestion but the above mentioned 3yr old is now 4. Out of the blue last july his slepe got very broken, hhe waking roaring very upset and this had not happenend for nearly a yr. Was beginning to break whan lo-and-behold the child minder discovered worms in baby s nappy. 4yo had tem too. A course of vermox sorted it.

This might sound like insane suggestion but there might be some issue. Also the night terrors could be an issue. Also if he s at a minders could anything have changed there??? Another child or maybe he not getting on with another child.? seperation anxiety??

I hope you sort it soon, but I have to say that controlled crying was a disaster on both mine.....

Best of luck

By the way worms cause night time itching which wakes them.

I know ye ve prob tried all the obvious things, but at 2yr 2months there might be a change in how much sleep is required by day. we often found that if they were too tired going to sleep it was worse.

Sorry for repeated posts but I really feel your pain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks Lisha, I agree with you, there has to be a cause.
    Just before this all kicked off (2 weeks ago) he got the flu vaccination (on advice from GP....when he was a young baby he was very sick) so we're wondering has the vaccination thrown him out of sorts...who knows.

The worms thing is a consideration alright but his nappies lately don't look suspect but I will keep it in mind.

Funnily enough, tonight he screamed and roared so I opened his door, I didn't let him see me, I just opened the door and stood outside. He stopped crying immediately. He's been asleep since.

Now I know he will probably wake a few times tonight but I am inclined to agree with you, the controlled crying method will not work, he's obviously scared of being in the room with the door closed...there is a small light on in the room too.

Yes, he is minded by a child minder but nothing has changed there. It's all very puzzling but from googling this I know I am certainly not alone...it seems very common for this age group.

Apparently the flu vaccine is 'a dead' vaccine so really it should not be a problem. But I got swine flu jab (this yrs flu jab also includes swine flu) and my arm hurt like hell for 3-4days after. My friend got flu jab last wk and she said the same.

sounds like it could be night terrors..... I got a toy for boy when he about 2-2.5 basically it was a light that projected pictures/shadows on wall ceiling while playong music. My thinking was that he needed something to distract from crying. Might be worth a shot.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Let me first start off that most of them do this at some stage or another. You're right with leaving the door open just to placate him for a while.

I went through that with more than one let me tell you, so your not alone.

This is what I've done and it worked.

If he gets inconsolable just pick him up and hug him for a while, let him calm down and put him back in to bed before he nods off. You'll have to repeat numerous times as he'll want to sleep on your shoulder. He'll kick off and start crying so stand by his bed and tell him (in a super calm voice) to go back to sleep. Wait till he nods off and scarper.
    (Repeat until success)

Its about this age they suddenly become fully aware of their nightime surroundings and it upsets them to wake up alone.

You just need to let them know that your only an arms length away - as soon as they get over it (max three days doing this) - your home and dry!

Hope this helps.

thanks hootini, your advice sounds like what we're going to do...I only hope it lasts 3 nights :)
    Last night went surprisingly well once I left the door open. A long weekend ahead I fear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My 2 year old can be hit or miss with the sleep too. I find he doesnt like the dark so I put a little night light on for him. Also my little man gets tonsilitis sometimes which disturbs his sleep. He mightn't have any other symptoms so its hard to tell he has it. Maybe bring him for a full check up just to rule out any illnesses first?

ziggy23 wrote: »
    My 2 year old can be hit or miss with the sleep too. I find he doesnt like the dark so I put a little night light on for him. Also my little man gets tonsilitis sometimes which disturbs his sleep. He mightn't have any other symptoms so its hard to tell he has it. Maybe bring him for a full check up just to rule out any illnesses first?

funny you should reply to this, since last Thursday he's been doing well with the sleep, but last night it was another bad one. We've lost count the amount of times he was up between 1 and 6am :mad:

We really don't know what's wrong with him, at 6am I decided to give up trying to get some sleep and once we were all up and about he was happy out (the little sh*t!).
    Maybe if this continues we will take him to the doc, no harm in getting a full checkup done, even though I have a fair idea there's nothing wrong with the lad, just getting cute I think, learning how to play his folks. No better way to waste €60 eh...sorry, I'm just tired!

funny you should reply to this, since last Thursday he's been doing well with the sleep, but last night it was another bad one. We've lost count the amount of times he was up between 1 and 6am :mad:

We really don't know what's wrong with him, at 6am I decided to give up trying to get some sleep and once we were all up and about he was happy out (the little sh*t!).
    Maybe if this continues we will take him to the doc, no harm in getting a full checkup done, even though I have a fair idea there's nothing wrong with the lad, just getting cute I think, learning how to play his folks. No better way to waste €60 eh...sorry, I'm just tired!

Oh god I feel your pain! My fella does that too sometimes he just wants to be running round his room playing! I havent taken him out of his cot yet cos I know he'll be running riot I'm surprised he hasnt learned how to get out of it yet :eek: Does your fella take any naps during the day? I find if my son doesnt have a half an hour during the day he's up during the night probably due to over-tiredness.

• Advertisement

Oh god I feel your pain! My fella does that too sometimes he just wants to be running round his room playing! I havent taken him out of his cot yet cos I know he'll be running riot I'm surprised he hasnt learned how to get out of it yet :eek: Does your fella take any naps during the day? I find if my son doesnt have a half an hour during the day he's up during the night probably due to over-tiredness.

yes, he would have a nap during the day for an hour or two (max). He could also be teething a bit, the last ones (molars) are yet to arrive! Who knows really.

yea Sean is the same has a few more teeth to get but I find he always gets a bad throat when he's teething. I suppose you just have to rule out everything 1 at a time maybe try a bath before bedtime with Lavender? It's a pain I know but I think they all go through it at some stage!

yea Sean is the same has a few more teeth to get but I find he always gets a bad throat when he's teething. I suppose you just have to rule out everything 1 at a time maybe try a bath before bedtime with Lavender? It's a pain I know but I think they all go through it at some stage!

yep, you're right, just part of the deal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'd second the teething.. it hurts before you can see the gums split or swollen.. i'd try the bath.. nice and warm and leave him in it for ages :D whenever my lad has a bath he sleeps really well (he a good sleeper normally but has his nights too) i'd often have to top it up cos it could be 45 mins in there :rolleyes:

The odd time if i'm not sure if he's hurting somewhere i'll give him nurofen/calpol.. this is the very odd time but usually it's something waking him and it's usually a pain..(he has dairy issues that give him tummy pain) or teeth. .
    If it's not a pain the nurofen/calpol won't make a difference and you'll know its habit..one 5mls spoon is not going to harm him either way and you'll be able to rule out a few things like teeth..
    I know how you feel.. let us know how you get on ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'd second the teething.. it hurts before you can see the gums split or swollen.. i'd try the bath.. nice and warm and leave him in it for ages :D whenever my lad has a bath he sleeps really well (he a good sleeper normally but has his nights too) i'd often have to top it up cos it could be 45 mins in there :rolleyes:

The odd time if i'm not sure if he's hurting somewhere i'll give him nurofen/calpol.. this is the very odd time but usually it's something waking him and it's usually a pain..(he has dairy issues that give him tummy pain) or teeth. .
    If it's not a pain the nurofen/calpol won't make a difference and you'll know its habit..one 5mls spoon is not going to harm him either way and you'll be able to rule out a few things like teeth..
    I know how you feel.. let us know how you get on ;)

Excellent advice there yea the baths are great wish I could have a long soak more often myself:D I'd also recommend these for teething they are herbal so no chance of giving too many. My son loves them! http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/921654_New_Era_R_For_Infants__Teething_Pains__450_tablets.html

Advertisement