Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cappagh Road Finglas - Roadworks pending a few years now?

Options
  • 20-10-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the hell the council or developers are playing at?
    This road has been in terrible shape for years mainly due to the roadworks that have been ongoing since I don't know when. The road was widened yet never surfaced so there are concrete dividers from Cappagh Hospital up to the M50 overpass.

Recently there have been signs erected for "loose gravel" and the new wall surrounding Cappagh Hospital seems to be in the final stages of completion for years too.

I drive the road almost every day and I can honestly say they seem to do one part of the wall per week.

Its an absolute joke.

Cant find anything on it online anyone have any knowledge of it?

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.394641,-6.325657&spn=0.006398,0.021136&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Have you seen any work taking place? I drive past it occasionally and there never seems to be any progress. I thought it might have something to do with the new hosuing estate built there. Maybe the builders of this were meant to upgrade the road as a condition for getting planning permission but have gone bankrupt and so work has ground to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Could be that yea.. Although wouldn't the council have to finish the works if that was the case? Since the road capacity prob isn't sufficient after the houses were built?

Haven't seen any work done on the road in a while(nature has taken over at this stage) although there is often lorries driving into what I can best describe as a site reception up at the overpass end of the road.

Its been this way for quite a long time now. I'd say it was 1.5 to 2 years ago that I remember the start stop one way system was in place and they were "working" on the road but nothing since I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Yeah I would say the council are meant to finish the road if that's the case but I imagine it takes a long time for them to actually do it. Budget cuts won't help matters eitther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Strange that they laid chippings down, removed them and then painted lines on the road the other day without any resurfacing been done.

I too drive on that road every day, it must be 3 years being in that state. The traffic lights at the hospital were removed too(well one traffic light!) and it was obvious it was connected with Heathfield, something must have went wrong developer related alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Still no sign of any movement here, anybody have any idea what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

The Road from the entrance to the school to the m50 is all part Of Fingal... they are supposidly in disput with the developers who were supposed to finish the road (I think it was part of the deal regarding heathfield as far as I'm aware)

I've been to DCC saftey meetings in Finglas and even at the one last Monday night Dessie Ellis brought this up... the problem is Fingal don't seem to talk to DCC or care what happens south of the M50....

Extract from County Council meeting 22 September 2011
    Minutes HomeYear HomeCommittee HomeMeeting HomeCOMHAIRLE CONTAE FHINE GALL

FINGAL COUNTY COUNCIL

Minutes of Meeting of County Council held on

PRESENT

The Councillor , presided.

AREA CHAIRPERSONS BUSINESS Cappagh Road

It was proposed by Councillor P. Hamill, seconded by Councillor E. Loftus:

“That the Manager make a full report on the completion of the works being carried out at Cappagh Road as local residents are very concerned about the number of accidents that have already occurred and the safety of young children returning to school in September.”

The following report by the Manager was READ:

“The developers of the Heathfield Estate are responsible for the upgrading of Cappagh Road fronting the estate. Discussions are ongoing with the interested parties in relation to the completion of outstanding works to enable the road upgrade to be completed. In the meantime arrangements are being made by the County Council to surface dress the carriageway presently in use and it is expected that this work will be commencing in the very near future weather permitting.”

Following discussion, the Committee NOTED the foregoing report.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=45998

My advise is anyone in the Fingal area get onto your Councillors and TDs regarding this as the road is a disgrace....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

it is in a desperate state alright, my understanding is that the builder that built the Heathfield estate is now in NAMA so they have or are claiming to have no money.

The obligation is always on the builder that upon completion of the site then the adjoining road was to be completed but as this site wasn't completed and is highly unlikely to be completed in the near future then it's between DCC and FCC over who owns the road and who is going to foot the bill.

unless they change the border to beyond the M50....

DCC land stops at the school gates.

http://maps.fingalcoco.ie/LocationPublisher/Layout1.aspx

So it's all on their doorsetp if you ask me...

Advertisement