Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all this pyrite talk!

• 20-10-2011 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

With all the news on those people in the Priory appt block having to move out of they're homes, just how big is this problem and is it nationwide?

My home is timber frame and was built 2008 and was un-occupied for a year before I bought it. I've noticed small little cracks in corners near plug sockets and one above the sitting room door. They're not speading or anything. Could have been there all along but just took notice.
    Are these just settling issues? How do you look out for potential pyrite issues?

I had a full survey and all that done before purchasing. I just find it worrying this could wreck thousands of homes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Priory Hall isn't a pyrite problem (at least that's not the reason for evacuating residents).

With a timberframe home such as yours pyrite can cause a problem, but where you'd see it first would be in the floors, especialy tiled floors in kitchen or downstairs toilet.(cracks and loose tiles)
    The small cracks you're describing sound like drying-out/settling cracks which happens as residual moisture in the timbers and plasterboard and all the other construction materials slowly move and contract after the house has had it's heat on for a few months.
    That's not to say that you haven't got pyrites (under the poured concrete slab your house is bolted to) but the damage it causes is fairly obvious when it starts and quickly progresses.
    Are your walls skimmed, or just taped and floated gyproc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

[Are your walls skimmed, or just taped and floated gyproc?[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware it's the latter,does this make a difference?. I havent any probs with tiles or flooring at all.

It doesn't make a difference as regards pyrite but it makes a difference on your cracking issues, which are basically just down to drying out and associated movement of the internal stud walls... open the cracks and throw some polyfilla into them and paint them up...they shouldn't re-appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

well have a look at some of the photos on facebook
    , my house has pyrite but not as bad as some of the pictures yet. My neighbor was away for a year the house was empty the state of the house was shocking , coving falling off the wall , the back door only opens a foot cracks everywhere .
    http://www.facebook.com/PyriteAction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Timber frame houses move more. loads of pasterboard cracks. Ceiling sockets walls... all over.

But very warm

• Advertisement

...and very flammable if corners have been cut. Hence priory hall evacuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

How long does it take for pyrite to show?. Am based in Chapel Farm, Lusk where there have been a couple of cases of pyrite confirmed.

Neighbour who moved in at start of development (7 years ago) has it confirmed. We are 5 years in but no signs of pyrite - just some settling cracks common to timber frame houses.

Just wondering how long before it starts to show.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The sh!t just hit the fan with regards the upgrade and remedial works to the recently built houses in Belmayne.

Much more serious that 1st thought,shoddy electrical instalations too,one house went up in flames the other day becaue of a dangerous install, and the pyrite prpblem is much worse than 1st thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Susiemcq

Hey there I am over seas at the moment & have a town house in Belmayne. Is there Pyrite in Belmayne???

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ciara07

It's possible, as it's been discovered just up the road in Drumnigh Wood, Old Portmarnock road. As far as I know these 'luxury' homes were built around the same time. It would seem it doesn't matter what was paid for the houses, it seems to be widespread in homes built at that time. You'll probably have to have it tested to find out for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Pyrite helpline is 1890 800 800

Advertisement