Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs fair in Tower Friday 21st

• 20-10-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Anyone know story about jobs fair in tower? when on, whos at it, etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Think someone mentioned about one of these a while back and it was a bit shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭julyjane

There's some info on it on the sticky "jobs in Waterford" at the top of the forum. I read in a paper that there are going to be 200 jobs on offer there which I would take with a pinch of salt TBH. I'm 20 miles away and between paying for petrol and parking I'm wondering if it would be worth my while, I suppose I won't know unless I go. All the recruitment agencies will be there which is little good to me as I'm registered with them already anyway. The ad said bring plenty of copies of your CV, I'd imagine the companies will be taking them to "keep on file" I can't picture myself walking out of the Tower with a job offer TBH. I'd love to hear from someone who's company will be represented there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

heres the poster for it anyways, heading down there in a bit see what the crack is

JobsExpoA4.jpg

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If anyone popped down this morning you might be kind enough to let us know what you thought. I won't be going down till much later but I'll do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

As someone who works for one of the companies participating, I'd suggest you go along if you have any IT experience, or are a computing or business graduate looking to get a foot in the door. We have a number of open positions and are projecting quite a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

My highlight for me was when bloke at recruitment company the retail one described my cv as " ****e".Will do something about that anyway. Busy enough down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Hey guys.

Just back from the fair, and imo, the layout is very good. I arrived before 10 and even then there were queues for each company.

I mainly went to the companies that suited my qualifications and experience but also went to companies that I had no experience in (what have i got to loose) Went in with 15 CVs and came home with 2... not too shabby.

Really feeling positive after it :D

decies wrote: »
    My highlight for me was when bloke at recruitment company the retail one described my cv as " ****e".Will do something about that anyway. Busy enough down there.

At least he was honest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sounds promising anyway. Is there anything in Retail?

I didnt see any companies, but the recruitment people gave me lists and ive seen a few retail jobs on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

just came home from it, I mainly went to see what was on offer and handed in a few CV's to recruitment agencies and 1 or 2 companies, in fairness there was loads of them there. Advice i got from one recruiter smile on face shoulders back positive attitude, another recruiter said that my CV was very strong and easy to read /flex.

All in all well worth going down in my opinion

Shin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I work for one of the companies who had a stand there today and we have approx. 5-7 job openings. (I manned the stand from 3-5)

There was plenty of people in and out, and "we" got a few CVs that will probably be followed up on.

What struck me was the number of companies who had stands but no jobs on offer. A fella manning one particular stand said they were only there to promote their brand! I can only assume the figure of 200 jobs is the sum of all the jobs which the recruitment companies have.

I'm not a HR person - I was there to speak about the technical side of the openings we have. This was my first foray into HR, but in my naive view, I agree 100% with the advice quoted by shinzon above re "smile on face shoulders back positive attitude".

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

in my experience, recruitment agencies will advertise jobs that are non-existent just to get CV's in the door, promise you the world when they call you in for an "interview" and then you will never hear anything from them again, even after follow up calls.... might as well be ringing bosco to arrange a shipment of bmx parts from uzbekistan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

nice_very wrote: »
    in my experience, recruitment agencies will advertise jobs that are non-existent just to get CV's in the door, promise you the world when they call you in for an "interview" and then you will never hear anything from them again, even after follow up calls.... might as well be ringing bosco to arrange a shipment of bmx parts from uzbekistan

Pretty much. At least until you are at a point where you are a good prospect for headhunting.

Haven't really dealt with them in about 10yrs after bad experiences as a graduate and when I had a couple of years behind me. I think there are perverse incentives with them as well, such as putting you forward for a job you are easily qualified for, whilst saving the plumb job for someone they know can nail it -- but still it could have been a big step up for you in your career, if you'd heard about it and were put forward for it. Also, don't ever tell a recruiter you've applied for a job yourself, because there are strong incentives to a) not to put you forward for the job, because you've already done so yourself and b) to put other candidates on their books up against you. b) is particularly nasty if the first they heard about the job was from you!

At the end of the day, they develop long running relationships with companies, whom they go to great lengths to please and supply with good candidates. They see you once in a blue moon, and are not bothered if you are soured towards them. And anyway, sometimes we are not good candidates for a given job, but we still want to be put forward for the job. Sometimes suboptimal candidates get the job, and you want to have every chance. The recruiter will deny you that chance. Most of us are pretty average (by definition), or even mediocre, and average and mediocre people need jobs too. :)

In a small place like Waterford, surf the recruitment sites. If you see the same sort of job going on a few of them, then chances are the job/company is real. Try to figure out who the company is and go to their website. If the job is there, bingo, apply directly. In not, maybe apply anyway. The newspapers will tell you more or less who's expanding. You could also go through a list of all relevant companies in an area and visit all their sites' careers section to see if there is anything there.

Nobody is going to doing anything for you, so you really have to do it yourself. If a recruiter does help you, he is doing so at the company's, and possibly your, expense. It's at your expense if he has foisted a job on you that is beneath your skill and experience level. At the start of my career I was constantly offered call centre work by recruiters. No disrespect to call centre staff, but I was qualified for more technical and better paid work, which I would have foregone if I'd taken the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dachubba

I see Merlante, so can you indicate whether surfing recruitment sites looking for jobs, and possibly applying for jobs directly is a perverse incentive or not? that's hypocritical.

Recruiters put forward the person that they believe will succeed in the interview and actually take the job.

It is not the recruiters fault whether the job demands a high/low spec of candidate, they dont decide that, they put forward the best person for it, what's wrong with that?

the content of your cv, layout of cv and interview skills are any candidate's weapons for job searching. if they are lacking, then do something about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CareerGuru

Hi Can I just say that the fair was very positive. As somebody who manned a stand there all day people were very upbeat but it would have been good to see a wider spread of jobs... btw last person who says we have to find jobs on our own.. my business This is UP offers a full job support service to skilled unemployed and underemployed and if you're on social welfare it's free of charge-we're based in Waterford but cover South-East
    Check out www.facebook.com/thisisup.

Advertisement