Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish? Free Range Eggs

Options
  • 20-10-2011 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I bought "6 Irish Large Free Range Eggs today in Lidl store.
    Was making tea and just opened them and started reading inside of packaging, there is explanation of "shortcuts" which goes :

O=organic
    1= F/Range
    2= Barn
    3=Cage (dont buy them!!!)

Uk = Origin

-and there is also farm ID.

I took one egg out and there was 1 UK 9097
    How are they Irish then? :confused:
    Now I doubt they are even free range..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's fine - Ireland is part of the UK. Don't worry about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,987 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Emigrant chickens. No jobs over here, so they had to head over for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

They're probably Nordie eggs. Don't you know that our constitution reads:

"It is the entitlement and birthright of every egg laid on the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation."

Extermely useless information: if the first digit after UK printed on the egg is 9, then it is a Nordie egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

number10a wrote: »
    They're probably Nordie eggs. Don't you know that our constitution reads:

"It is the entitlement and birthright of every egg laid on the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation."

Extermely useless information: if the first digit after UK printed on the egg is 9, then it is a Nordie egg.

Think UK and Ireland (Republic) may have different criteria for what qualifies as free range etc.
    'Irish' honey ain't easy to find, and ain't cheap if you do. Read the label - often EU or non EU honey may have Irish slapped on the label somewhere if it is just *packaged* in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Ups, I was going to post it somewhere else.. you can move it where it fits.

It just make me angry they are cheating everywhere and you can't trust whats written with big letters on any product.

-and I am surprised you dont care too much...

• Advertisement

number10a wrote: »

"Nordie" or whatever it's not irish and they are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

softmee wrote: »

It just make me angry they are cheating everywhere and you can't trust whats written with big letters on any product.

I have no problem with something from Northern Ireland being labelled as Irish. Why do you think it is 'cheating'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Be they northern Irish or irish, the eu has jurisdiction over free range law for chicken eggs and it's the same for both.

Did you buy the eggs:
    A) as a statement of patriotic buy-irishness
    B) as a statement of your support for free range husbandry of chickens
    Or
    C) a tasty nutritious supper.

I reckon your purchase meets most if not all of the above, but either way, you're expecting alot from an eggy dinner.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nothing wrong with them being called Irish if they are packaged in Ireland, its within the guidelines so its up to the consumer to understand the labelling, you now do and probably wont buy them again which is your choice. I understand the people who say its misleading but it is up to everyone to read the fine print.

I have no problem with something from Northern Ireland being labelled as Irish. Why do you think it is 'cheating'?

Too be honest I never thought of Nordern Ireland as UK so I was sure its from the "other" island..

Nothing wrong with them being called Irish if they are packaged in Ireland, its within the guidelines so its up to the consumer to understand the labelling, you now do and probably wont buy them again which is your choice. I understand the people who say its misleading but it is up to everyone to read the fine print.

-there is nothing at all saying they were only "packaged" in Ireland and I dont care if they were irish or british hens -just how were they treated, but I tought its strange they are stating its irish product when its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Its a EU thing. Same goes for milk, cheese and other dairy products.

The eggs are free-range.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No Galway connection. Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The question is - are you happy for eggs from the North of Ireland to be labelled as Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We've had this one before. I think it is misleading. Chicken has a UK passport then they are not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dudara wrote: »
    The question is - are you happy for eggs from the North of Ireland to be labelled as Irish?

We produce something like half the cheese sold in the UK. It's labeled as made in the UK because it's sent over there to be packaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like it is def a farm in the British Isles as apposed to R. o Ireland.

http://www.lioneggfarms.co.uk/trace/1uk9097/

antoobrien wrote: »
    We produce something like half the cheese sold in the UK. It's labeled as made in the UK because it's sent over there to be packaged.

If thats the law to label products only packed in some country as this country origin, I have to say its really stupid and misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

When I buy an Irish product over another, what I am trying to do is support the Irish economy as opposed to the UK economy.

I dont like the way that the labeling laws allow a product to be labelled Irish when they are in fact from another economy/tax state.

I also dont like the way that the Aldi/Lidl/Tesco exploit this loop hole and futhur compound the duplicity by putting a tricolour and irish sticker on products that are clearly supporting another economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Looks like it is def a farm in the British Isles as apposed to R. o Ireland.

http://www.lioneggfarms.co.uk/trace/1uk9097/

Free range can of worms about to be opened.

email from lidl :

"We would like to confirm that our supplier for this product is based in Northern Ireland and therefore the packaging does state " Irish Large Free Range Eggs" as they are sourced in the land of Ireland. However, as Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom they must be stamped as UK. We would like to assure you that all our meat and poultry products are approved by Board Bia.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and assure you of our best intentions at all times."

hmmm :rolleyes:

-I would say this is cheating and it has nothing to do with my opinion if northern Ireland is Ireland or its not. Officially its part of UK and I don't think this is is fair because by looking at those eggs I was 100% they come from some local irish farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If they are produced on the island of Ireland then they are Irish.

If they are produced on the island of Ireland then they are Irish.

No, they are not. They are British if produced in Northern Ireland.

Softmee, could you explain your gripe a little? Is it that you want to support the Irish economy by buying from local Irish farms? Because in a way the lidl shop you bought them in is employing Irish people, which in a way is in the very least supporting their jobs.

Northern Irish eggs are just as likely to be as nutritious as Irish ones. Is it an environmental concern for the carbon chicken-claw-print? If so, the only way to be absolutely sure is to get yourself to an actual local Irish farm. A supermarket will always want the economy of scale. There is a reason they are that much cheaper in lidl. Alas we can't have it both ways.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Eviledna wrote: »
    Because in a way the lidl shop you bought them in is employing Irish people, which in a way is in the very least supporting their jobs.

Probably not...i've yet to meet an irish person working in Lidl (or aldi for that matter) -normally staff are eastern european

On the plus side...LIDL is employing people who are paying tax in Ireland (well...hopefully :D )

Yes I meant people in Ireland. Paying tax in Ireland. Lidl paying corporation tax in Ireland. All good things.

Btw, In both my local lidl and aldi there are plenty of Irish born folks working there.

Eviledna wrote: »
    Softmee, could you explain your gripe a little? Is it that you want to support the Irish economy by buying from local Irish farms? Because in a way the lidl shop you bought them in is employing Irish people, which in a way is in the very least supporting their jobs.

Northern Irish eggs are just as likely to be as nutritious as Irish ones. Is it an environmental concern for the carbon chicken-claw-print? If so, the only way to be absolutely sure is to get yourself to an actual local Irish farm. A supermarket will always want the economy of scale. There is a reason they are that much cheaper in lidl. Alas we can't have it both ways.:confused:

There is no "gripe", maybe your granny is griping..

I am only wondering how this could be legal and I dont like labels to be lying and this is a lie.

Northern Ireland is park of United Kingdom and if those eggs come from there they are not Irish!
    I don't care too much were they come from, as I said before my only concern is conditions in which chickens are kept, but I don't like to be cheated and I want honest information on packaging.
    If there was "British Free Range Eggs" on them I would still buy them, what matter's is the honest info.

-everyone should have right to decide what is buying and that is simply not fair.

daheff wrote: »
    Probably not...i've yet to meet an irish person working in Lidl (or aldi for that matter) -normally staff are eastern european

In my local shop there are maybe 3 polish and all the rest is irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Oh, the eggs, won't somebody please think of the eggs!

old hippy wrote: »
    Oh, the eggs, won't somebody please think of the eggs!

-oh you are so funny! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

-oh you are so funny! :rolleyes:

I like French eggs but I know when an ouef is an ouef...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement