Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish? Free Range Eggs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

old hippy wrote: »
    I like French eggs but I know when an ouef is an ouef...

-and what this has to do with the subject?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

softmee wrote: »
    -and what this has to do with the subject?

Apologies, I was just yolking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

There is no "gripe", maybe your granny is griping..

Ah now be nice. No need for granny bashing.
    I am only wondering how this could be legal and I dont like labels to be lying and this is a lie.

Northern Ireland is park of United Kingdom and if those eggs come from there they are not Irish!
    I don't care too much were they come from, as I said before my only concern is conditions in which chickens are kept, but I don't like to be cheated and I want honest information on packaging.
    If there was "British Free Range Eggs" on them I would still buy them, what matter's is the honest info.

It's acceptable to open a cardboard carton of eggs (usually to ensure they are not broken) to peek before you buy where in future you can keep your eye out for the UK code that is offensive to to you. It may be the case that you might have to come to terms with the notion that with the peace in NI came some farmers that consider their product as Irish as they come from the land that forms part of the geograhical island of Ireland.

It seems your concern is a little excessive considering both jurisdictions are ruled by the eu with respect to quality etc. Would you bother to email lidl and post here if you found for example a package of eggs claiming to be leinster eggs but were in fact, shock horror, munster eggs?

Considering it doesn't effect the quality and it comes from the same land mass and lidl seem to be of the opinion that's it's time we all just got along and that their chickens are less than political, is it possible there are more important things to be worrying about?:)

If not, you better declare here and now if you are little-endian or big-endian.

Eviledna wrote: »

It's acceptable to open a cardboard carton of eggs (usually to ensure they are not broken) to peek before you buy where in future you can keep your eye out for the UK code that is offensive to to you.

-if you would just read my post you would understand I have NOTHING against British eggs.

is it possible there are more important things to be worrying about?:)

-yeah, why you are waisting your time then?

Eggsactly

• Advertisement

-yeah, why you are waisting your time then?

Apparently the only waste of time is the effort to deflate the "consumer issue" here.

Hope you were able to enjoy your tea anyway. There are plenty of free range eggs for sale from local Galway farmers in the Market tomorrow.

Apparently the only waste of time is the effort to deflate the "consumer issue" here.

Hope you were able to enjoy your tea anyway. There are plenty of free range eggs for sale from local Galway farmers in the Market tomorrow.

Jesus..I can't belive how some people here are just waiting to argue with somebody just for the sake of beeing smart ass for the moment..

Well OK EVILEDNA point taken, THANK YOU!

Happy to help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

As someone who's father is from Northern Ireland and who has many relations in Ballycastle (Big Ian country), I and every other person who has any connection with NI would see that anything produced on the island of Ireland is Irish - even the other side would agree with that.

Many of our sports are all Irish, tourism is all Irish, food promotion is all Irish, crafts promotion is all Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No, they are not. They are British if produced in Northern Ireland.
    You would know you weren't Irish anyway. And before you start thats not a dig at you, just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If they'd been marked "6 Irish Large Free State Eggs" it'd definitely be misleading.

Take your point though, I'd expect them to be from the Republic.

You would know you weren't Irish anyway. And before you start thats not a dig at you, just an observation.

-and very good I have no intention to pretend I am Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dechand

Irish smoked salmon or smoked irish salmon ? which would you prefer?

dechand wrote: »
    Irish smoked salmon or smoked irish salmon ? which would you prefer?

It's that kind of caviar attitude that got us in trouble in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

maxer68 wrote: »
    As someone who's father is from Northern Ireland and who has many relations in Ballycastle (Big Ian country), I and every other person who has any connection with NI would see that anything produced on the island of Ireland is Irish - even the other side would agree with that.

Many of our sports are all Irish, tourism is all Irish, food promotion is all Irish, crafts promotion is all Irish.

Maxer I see where you are coming from and agree with the above, however when a supermarket is promoting that they are supporting Irish jobs , to me we are talking about the Irish (26 counties) economy as opposed to to the island of Ireland.

When I buy Irish i do it because i want to support the economy and jobs in our economy as opposed to the econonmy in another tax juristiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Arguing about this on the internet is not going to go anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, the labelling is technically correct, as the eggs are produced in Ireland, just not the Republic of Ireland. The simple fact is that Northern Ireland is tightly interlinked with the Republic. You can't build a wall and keep the two separate - money flows across the border in both directions.

I would suggest contacting the National Consumer Agency and seeking their guidance on what you perceive to be misleading advertising. After all, goods must be sold as described. However, I would be of the opinion that it's a very gray area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's fine - Ireland is part of the UK. Don't worry about it...

I love this post.

I could be wrong but I think if they pack them in Ireland . They can be classed as Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

No, they are not. They are British if produced in Northern Ireland.

Britain = England, Scotland & Wales

United Kingdom = England Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

To be officially British, it must be produced on mainland britain.:D

and then there's the british isles (geographical term) and includes the island of Britain and the island of Ireland. :D:D

Shelflife wrote: »
    Maxer I see where you are coming from and agree with the above, however when a supermarket is promoting that they are supporting Irish jobs , to me we are talking about the Irish (26 counties) economy as opposed to to the island of Ireland.

When I buy Irish i do it because i want to support the economy and jobs in our economy as opposed to the econonmy in another tax juristiction.

Should us Irish abroad continue to buy Irish goods, in that case or buy exclusively the produce of the country we live in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Thats entirely up to yourself old hippy, and people can do as they please.

I like to support local where possible and if something is marked as being irish and has a tricolour beside it, then i would expect it to benefit the 26 state economy as opposed to another economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

old hippy wrote: »
    Should us Irish abroad continue to buy Irish goods, in that case or buy exclusively the produce of the country we live in?

If your Irish then you shoul of course buy Irish wherever you can. I don't think this should even be questioned if I can buy Irish and I have the money to do so then I always do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There from the island of Ireland and hence are Irish, eggs from Wales can be sold as Welsh. Eggs from England can be sold as English and same for Scotland.

If there is added value they can be claimed to.be from where this is done. E.g loose apples are from where there grown. A bag of apples have had value added and may be called apples from x where x is the country there packaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Shelflife wrote: »
    Thats entirely up to yourself old hippy, and people can do as they please.

I like to support local where possible and if something is marked as being irish and has a tricolour beside it, then i would expect it to benefit the 26 state economy as opposed to another economy.

this could be where theres an issue, if they just called them Irish its dubious but probably legal but to show a tricilour as well is most definetly giving the impreassion thats its the Repblic.

If your Irish then you shoul of course buy Irish wherever you can. I don't think this should even be questioned if I can buy Irish and I have the money to do so then I always do

Don't see why I should. I buy Irish goods in London because I like them; not because I'm Irish. I don't pick up a bottle of Cidona and come over all patriotic in Morrisons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 patdadi

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's fine - Ireland is part of the UK. Don't worry about it...
    FYI Ireland is not a part of the UK. We are a separate country. You may like to check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Seriously ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sheldon never gets sarcasm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@patdadi - Please do not bring back old threads.

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement