Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplex Toilet Convertion

Options
  • 20-10-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone living in a duplex in Charlesland has converted their downstairs toilet to extend their kitchen? I am thinking about it at the moment, as we have limited space. If anyone has, can you let me know:
    a) if you found out if we are actually allowed because of the lease agreement.
    b) rough cost
    c) any names of builders that organised it

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Without putting a damper on your idea, you may wish to have a Chartered Building Surveyor (or similar suitably qualified consultant) inspect the proposal. Your duplex, depending on when built, would have been required to comform to the Building Regulations, namely Part M Access for People with Disabilities. If you remove the toilet you may find that the original Cert of Compliance with Building Regulations will be void and therefore you will have problems selling the property.

See Section 2.9 of Part M:

2.9 A WC should be provided at entry level or, where there is no habitable room at this level, in the storey containing the main living room.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

We did this a few years ago. Our management company said there was no reason why we couldn't do it.

Didn't remove the toilet, just moved it down the hall. Costs are surely different now than they were then -- estimate about a week of building work, then add painting.

Didn't remove the toilet, just moved it down the hall.

Hi MyPerfectCousin, I'd be intersted in seeing what you have done. I would certainly say that alot of people who are not in a position to move house, would be willing to spend a few bob to make more space in the living/kitchen areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

I would love to do the same so I would be interested in how you get on. Sorry I can't be of any help at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

Thanks astrofluff. It's one of the newest ones so that's helpful actually cause I had a feeling there would be an issue when selling on, but wasn't sure where to look. I thought there was something about the wheelchair access but thought that because you had to go up stairs to get to it that it wouldn't be an issue, so thanks for letting me know the line 'in the storey containing the main living room' that puts a different slant.

MyPerfectCousin. I'd be interested in where u put the toilet? U said further down the hall, but where? Do u mean you just pushed it back? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah we pushed it back. So, the kitchen was enlarged by taking over the old toilet space plus some space from the living room, and the new, smaller toilet took space away from the living room. Luckily, the living room is still plenty big (ours is a corner 4BR unit) and the kitchen is now big enough to have more than one person in it at a time!

You can PM me if you need any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

With regard to the building regs you quoted Astrofluff, do these refer to the building of a new dwelling as opposed to changes being made to what is considered an existing dwelling. It would seem from an initial 20 min glance over that they do make a distinction.

Quackhart wrote: »
    With regard to the building regs you quoted Astrofluff, do these refer to the building of a new dwelling as opposed to changes being made to what is considered an existing dwelling. It would seem from an initial 20 min glance over that they do make a distinction.

I am refering to a building which complies with the building regulations (post 2000), that when a change is made, may no longer comply with the original certificate. Retrospective changes for a building built prior to 1990/1997/2000 is a whole other topic of conversation! Again, if you're unsure, hire a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

MY perfect cousin would it be okay of I pm'ed you also?

Yes of course, QH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr. Grey

Yeah we pushed it back. So, the kitchen was enlarged by taking over the old toilet space plus some space from the living room, and the new, smaller toilet took space away from the living room.

All, thank you for raising this topic. I have the same querry re: the toilette removal in the duplex.
    With the narrower toilette is this not the violation of the same regulation? Also, how can a duplex be wheel chair friedly with the stairs leading to the first floor?:rolleyes:

It is a common mistake people make when they think of disabled access, they immediately think of people who are wheelchair bound. I think it's less than 5% of people with a disability need level threshold access to access a building - it doesn't necessarily mean they are wheelchair bound. The new term being used is Universal Access for All.

Yes, in this case we are talking about duplex units. The point of Section 2.9 of Part M is to provide sanitary conveniences on the same floor a Living Room is located. This allows for any visitors who are perhaps ambulant disabled to not have to travel up another flight of stairs to get to the toilet.

For apartments and houses with a stepped approach, of course it does seem to non-sensical to have such a large WC, but how big should it be? That's why the Technical Guidance Documents set out the 'minimum' requirements under the regulations.

If you are thinking of having the toilet conversion done, be wise to the requirements - seek professional advice if you have to.

Advertisement