Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could something similar work for dogs?

• 20-10-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Horse sharing is very popular in Ireland. There is a sticky in the Equestrian forum for it. If a horse owners circumstances change for financial/family/work reasons they may share their horse with another person. The horse stays in the same location, is cared for in the same manner and is exercised by the sharer a couple of days a week or by arrangement with the owner. Generally certain activities such as jumping/competing are either included/excluded by the owner.

I was just wondering what views people would have on something similar for dogs?

Many people would love to walk or spend time with a dog but due to various reasons they are unable to have their own. Equally many dog owners are having to try to find new homes or surrender their dogs due to changes in personal circumstances or in the amount of time they have available for their dog.

I know many people would be fearful of letting their dog out with another person but I know that if I was facing the awful decision of having to rehome my dogs I would be looking at every option to prevent this happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I guess it could work under the right circumstances but I think those to be exceptional to be honest. Most people who have a dog love the unique bond that they have with them that the dog has with no one else, the dog usually prefers someone in the family, almost always their main caregiver, so I can imagine they would find it a bit difficult if they saw their dog have that bond with someone else.

Also when it came the care of the dog, some people may believe in neutering while others might not,, one owner may let the dogs sleep on the bed where as the other may want them to sleep in the kitchen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

mystika121 wrote: »
    Horse sharing is very popular in Ireland. There is a sticky in the Equestrian forum for it. If a horse owners circumstances change for financial/family/work reasons they may share their horse with another person. The horse stays in the same location, is cared for in the same manner and is exercised by the sharer a couple of days a week or by arrangement with the owner. Generally certain activities such as jumping/competing are either included/excluded by the owner.

I was just wondering what views people would have on something similar for dogs?

Many people would love to walk or spend time with a dog but due to various reasons they are unable to have their own. Equally many dog owners are having to try to find new homes or surrender their dogs due to changes in personal circumstances or in the amount of time they have available for their dog.

I know many people would be fearful of letting their dog out with another person but I know that if I was facing the awful decision of having to rehome my dogs I would be looking at every option to prevent this happening.

You raise a very interesting point, thanks for that. My wife and I have plenty of time and therefore rarely need anyone to look after our beloved dog. We have met several people who love dogs, but for one reason or another can't take one on full time. They occasionally "borrow" ours, who loves the attention and pampering he gets from them. One is an orchestra conductor who spends most of her time in Vienna, but when she comes here she always takes our pet, whom she calls "Maestro", out for long walks. It's a perfect situation for everyone, because no dog (or I suppose horse) could ever get too much love.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I remember reading about something like this based over in japan, a rent a dog type thing where people could borrow a dog for the weekend. Wouldn't really be gone on it, dogs thrive on routine and swapping and changing homes could really upset a lot of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Thanks for the replies.

What I mean is that the dog is taken for a walk/played with for an hour or two and then returned to his owner as in the case of Maestro! The sharer would be a regular fixture in the dogs life as opposed to a rent a dog situation as I think that would be very difficult for the dog.

I can understand what the poster said about it being quite difficult for the owner to see the dog enjoying time with another person but would it be any different to hiring a dog walker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

mystika121 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

What I mean is that the dog is taken for a walk/played with for an hour or two and then returned to his owner as in the case of Maestro! The sharer would be a regular fixture in the dogs life as opposed to a rent a dog situation as I think that would be very difficult for the dog.

I can understand what the poster said about it being quite difficult for the owner to see the dog enjoying time with another person but would it be any different to hiring a dog walker?

That wouldn't be much different to a dog walker or doggy day care. I was thinking more one family has the dog for first half of the week, another family has it the second half, that I think would be quite unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

What prompted my post was that I bumped into a guy at the shop who used to walk his collie around the same time each day as I walked my dogs. I always admired the collie and knew the guy to nod to as I saw him almost every day.

I hadn't seen him in ages and I asked about the dog. He was fairly upset about it and he said he had found a place for the dog with a rescue centre as he had been relocated with work and had a huge daily commute and felt it was unfair to the dog to only get a long walk at the weekends.

I was gutted. It would have been no bother to walk the collie with my dogs.

Advertisement