Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilton Hotel Dublin Airport

Options
  • 20-10-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi --- long post ahead sorry!

I went for a job interview in the Hilton Hotel Dublin Airport, they called me back that i was successful and had to work a paid trial day as the next stage of the interview process.

I was told to come in at 16:00. I arrived at 15:50 and went to reception to ask where to go next. They told me to wait on the nearby seats and they phoned the food and beverage manager. He arrived downstairs almost 45 minutes late.

I was then told my duties for the day by him and was appointed another member of staff to follow and shadow. This member of staff was very nice but told me different ways of how they operate. I also met another manager on the floor who told me a third way of doing things on the floor --- very confusing.

I did not make any major mistakes, i sadly didnt know how to polish cutlery properly and could not hold a tray perfectly. The reasons for this is that they didnt show me what so ever. How can i possibly know i have to use vinegar to polish the cutlery? Using a tray to balance lots of pint classes takes practise - can't be perfect on day one.

One other member of staff got angry because I took orders in "his section" even though a manager told me to take orders everywhere. He also bad mouth me to the general manager - around the corner of where i was polishing cutlery - really unprofessional.

The day was finally over (0100am) and I was told they will let me know monday or tuesday (this was on a friday) - i heard nothing. I phoned on wednesday and they forgot about me. I asked on feedback on how I could improve - they had none.

I asked how I was getting paid for the 9 hours of this "paid trial day". They said i will be paid with a voucher. This voucher never came - its now 2 months after I left the hotel.

Thanks all for reading - I got a job that pays double the salary with more hours as of last week but I just wanted to warn people in case they want to work there. The environment is horrible and they treat staff badly.

Is this even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

wrong section I'm sure somebody will move it to the work forum

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

racso1975 wrote: »
    wrong section I'm sure somebody will move it to the work forum

Ok thanks. Any opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

that is appalling. You should also post your experiences on their Tripadvisor website. Even though it does not relate to a stay there it does indicate a level of prefessionalism (or lack of it) and would put people off staying there.

You should contact the manager directly if possible to get your money or perhaps the small claims coutr.

Dont let them away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

seem to be hearing more and more cases of these "trial days", sounds more like the employers cutting corners to cover holidays, etc. with little or no pay involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yurple wrote: »
    Thanks all for reading - I got a job that pays double the salary with more hours as of last week but I just wanted to warn people in case they want to work there. The environment is horrible and they treat staff badly.

:(

That sounds awful yurple.

I'm glad to hear you've got a new job, best of luck with it dude :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That is really crap, paid in a voucher for a hotel is really crap, is it for €8.65 x 8 hrs= €69.20?

You're right to let your experience be known you may have saved many prospective employees from going through the same crap. It really grates on me when staff dont get the proper training, you havent a hope without it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Unless agreed beforehand do not accept the voucher.
    You are entitled to be paid currency for your work.

it was never mentioned until i had to call them back after they forgot to call me the following week

is there anything i can do at this moment because it has been several months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is it possible to have a word with NERA or Citizen's Information? They might be able to advise.

I do hope you'll be able to get somewhere with this, and don't let the Hilton get away with shoddy treatment. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Definitely not legal. Id say youre going to have fun with them over this one. They have to pay you cash.

• Advertisement

Africa wrote: »
    Definitely not legal. Id say youre going to have fun with them over this one. They have to pay you cash.

Thank you for the reply. How do I get help getting this money back??

I can prove they never paid me because they don't have my bank details and if they say they paid me by cheque - I have bank statements to prove it has never been cashed.

It's not about the money but to warn people not to go there. Although getting the money would be a nice bonus ! :-)

Have you accepted the voucher?

This could constitute a contract I.e. They offered it, you accepted it.

I asked for how they are going to pay me when i called them back (after they said they think im not succesful and had to double check.)

I asked if they will pay me by cheque since they didnt have a record of my bank details.

They said they will send a voucher by post and ring back if I want feedback why i wasnt succesful.

The conversation ended - i clearly didnt accept it as a voucher means i have to go back to the hotel and "spend" that voucher there! which i really do not want to do:(

And this was all 2 months ago?

And no voucher.

Have you contacted them at all to follow up and say you want a cheque not a voucher?

i have not contacted them after - it been 3 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Tell them you are going to NERA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yurple wrote: »
    i have not contacted them after - it been 3 months :(

NERA link.

Advertisement