Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Griding Noise

• 20-10-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She has a Dell Inspiron 1545 and is having trouble. The hard drive is partitioned in two having windows 7 and ubuntu 11.04.

Earlier she said her laptop started making grinding noises, and had to remove the battery to stop it. Windows 7 booted fine, but no programs would load properly, they all are "not responding". One or two did respond after 5 minutes but they are awfully slow and take a few moments to do any sort of command. Firefox crashed and it wouldn't close, even when the process was stopped using task manager.

She then booted into Ubuntu, and everything works fine. She says all apps are working and the noise is gone.

So I need some advice, what do you think has happened / what can she do about it ? I believe the grinding noise is coming from the hard drive but then ubuntu is working fine.
    All files have been backed up too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hard drive is on it's way out. Backup and be ready for it to go bang all of a sudden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's something wrong with the hard drive. Considering it's the only mechanical device in the entire laptop it's the only thing that can make any sort of "mechanical" noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

There's something wrong with the hard drive. Considering it's the only mechanical device in the entire laptop it's the only thing that can make any sort of "mechanical" noise.

blade gone on the system fan will made funky noises as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

duckysauce wrote: »
    blade gone on the system fan will made funky noises as well

The fact that windows is throwing a hissyfit would leave me to believe it's the HD being honest. Even if Ubuntu runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The fact that windows is throwing a hissyfit would leave me to believe it's the HD being honest. Even if Ubuntu runs.

yep drive is shagged I was replying the the comment about its the only part that generates noise.

"Considering it's the only mechanical device in the entire laptop it's the only thing that can make any sort of "mechanical" noise."

• Advertisement
Advertisement