Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you see yourself having children in the future?

• 20-10-2011 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

So yeah, carrying on from a thread I saw in After Hours, I figured I'd start this here.. The thread was all about "would you die to save your child", and reading some of the replies, I just couldn't understand them because I'm not a parent..

Since all of us here are teenagers/early twenty-somethings, it seems fairly appropriate too! So back to the question.. do any of you see yourselves having children? If so, why? If not, why not?

As for myself, I'm not sure.. I like children and all, but I'm not mature enough to think about it all now, no idea why! I suppose it's really hard for teenagers who have children because they've to grow up so quickly..

So yeah, hopefully this thread will turn out well! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I want to have kids some day, but not any time soon. I absolutely love kids, and although it's probably very hard to be a parent I think it'd be worth it in the long run. It must be amazing (and scary) knowing you have that big of an influence on someone's life, and that they're a part of you.

But I wouldn't want a child til I'm at least 25+. I want to go mad and have fun first before having that big of a responibility. But what happens happens and if I do end up getting pregnant before that then so be it. It'll work out in the end, it might just be a little different than planned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'm going to say this straight out: I've never once considered it, and I'll never know for sure far into the future. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I haven't filled out my CAO form yet, it's far too early to be thinking about a family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Definitely. Just not until I'm older and I'm settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I always thought I wouldnt but a few years ago I had a false positive on a pregnancy test and I wasn't able to get to a doctor for a few days. Over the few days when I thought I was I had convinced myself I'd be ok and since then it doesn't scare me.

It's something I really really want but not until I'm in my late 20s.

A couple of the lads call me mam and that's enough for now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Good thread Noel!

I'm really not sure... I like kids and all, but I don't know if I'd be able to cope with looking after one all the time. If it happened, I don't think I would be overly upset about it (unless I found out I was pregnant right now, in which case I would FREAK THE F*CK OUT - very unlikely that's gonna happen though :p). I don't have any big plans to have kids though; would be kinda leaning on the no side, but if I was with someone and they really wanted kids, I'd consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Definitely! Whenever this comes up in conversation with my friends, I'm always dubbed as being the one who'll have the most, and who'll have them earliest:o I must give off some kinda maternal vibe or something!

I love children, and I've never considered that I wouldn't have them..family is really important to me. In my head, children and my future go hand in hand..it's never been any other way for me. That said, the youngest I could ever have them is 25..before that you're just too young, and you have to live life just for you.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Definitely! Whenever this comes up in conversation with my friends, I'm always dubbed as being the one who'll have the most, and who'll have them earliest:o I must give off some kinda maternal vibe or something!
    Same here, we all made bets on who would have the first child, who would get married first, etc and wrote em all down. Everyone said I'd be the first to have a kid :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Everyone here seems to want kids by 25+.. I don't think I could do that. :o Like by the time I'm finished college, I'll be 23, going on 24 and then if I want to do a masters or whatever after that, I'd be nearly 26 in age.. Then I'd have to get a job etc...

The only time I can actually see it happening is when I'm on a good wage, with my own house in a place where I'd be happy to rear a family..

But yeah.. I'd really want a girl and a boy.. :P From growing up with 3 boys, it's SO awkward! Everyone pray you don't have all boys.. :pac:

No matter what anyone thinks or says, if I have a boy it WILL be called Noah or Oscar. Don't even ask, it's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I've never wanted kids. I just don't like them; I don't think babies are cute, children being loud on public transport make me want to get off at the next stop and most of them are complete brats. People say it's different when it's your own children, but I think that would just make it worse: you'd be trapped with them! Your life would have to be put on hold because they always come first. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lawliet wrote: »
    I've never wanted kids. I just don't like them; I don't think babies are cute, children being loud on public transport make me want to get off at the next stop and most of them are complete brats. People say it's different when it's your own children, but I think that would just make it worse: you'd be trapped with them! Your life would have to be put on hold because they always come first. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare.

+1000

Also 25 seems crazy young to have kids imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Woah 25? That'd be like 4 and a half years... Not that soon.

I'd love to have kids someday, not loads or anything maybe two. Before I'd even consider it I want to have everything else I want to do done. I want to travel the world, I want a good job, I want a house and ideally I'd like to be married before I did. Seeing as I'll be 24 when I finish college I'd say around 30ish.

I definitely don't want them now, having had a similar scare to Sarah but with pretty much the opposite reaction. I completely freaked out. It's not for me any time soon.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    No matter what anyone thinks or says, if I have a boy it WILL be called Noah or Oscar. Don't even ask, it's happening.

Just change the ah to el.. just two letters.. just two... :P

Don't do what my parents did and give me a name that starts with N, and initials OB... *sad face* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've always seen myself as having children, but not until I'm settled down with a wife and a house. I've always loved the idea of having a "daddy's little girl", a real stereotypical Hollywood father-daughter relationship. I think 3 would be a nice size as well. 2 and 1 split either way.

But, definitely. I've never really considered not having children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Just change the ah to el.. just two letters.. just two... :P

Don't do what my parents did and give me a name that starts with N, and initials OB... *sad face* :(
    In Irish college there was a Bob O' Brien so both his initials and his name where the same. We found it very amusing. :D

I think the reason I think 25 is an okay age is that (as long I don't have to repeat or anything) I'll be done my course when I'm 20 so I'll have 5 years to do whatever I want after college before considering children.

Probably a silly question :P But does anyone think they've met the person they'd want to start a family with yet? I ask 'cos most of the people I know in their mid twenties/early thirties who have families have been with their partners since 18-20!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I hope not... really think I'd just be the worst parent ever... and I hate kids with a passion. Can't stand them. I literally am tempted to go over and smack kids that cry in public....prime example of this, standing around waiting for a lecture one day, next thing, screaming and shouting starts coming from the restaurant nearby, like someone was getting butchered or something. After about five minutes of ear piercing screaming, words began to come through "HE STOLE MY PENCIL!!!!! IT'S MY PENCIL!!!! HE STOLE IT OUT OF MY PENCIL CASE!!! HE'S ALWAYS STEALING MY STUFF!!!! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!"

Also, I'm not exactly very assertive, so the idea of me trying to tell my kid to go to bed, or that they can't go out at the weekend is, frankly, laughable.

But a caveat to this would be if I fell in love with someone who desperately wanted kids.... I'd probably consider it an option then if it was what was required to keep them happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Honestly, I don't really like children so much, they really irritate me but I always kind of assumed I'd have some of my own. Two at most. I think I would like my own children. I hope I would. It'd be nice to have them. Although I don't think I'd like to have any until I was nearly 30. I'm 20 now so having children by the time I'm 25 scares me a lot. I don't know what I'm doing with my life at all so I don't know how I'd cope looking after another life and factoring that into mine.

My boyfriend and I were actually just talking about this yesterday and we were just like lol when we thought of us with a baby. Stuff is complicated enough right now without a child ever happening. Plus we are too young and too stupid right now. So yes, let's hope that doesn't happen. *touch wood touch wood touch wood*

Although he is very good looking so I'd have beautiful children. That would be some consolation I suppose.

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't really like children so much, they really irritate me but I always kind of assumed I'd have some of my own. Two at most. I think I would like my own children. I hope I would. It'd be nice to have them. Although I don't think I'd like to have any until I was nearly 30. I'm 20 now so having children by the time I'm 25 scares me a lot. I don't know what I'm doing with my life at all so I don't know how I'd cope looking after another life and factoring that into mine.

My boyfriend and I were actually just talking about this yesterday and we were just like lol when we thought of us with a baby. Stuff is complicated enough right now without a child ever happening. Plus we are too young and too stupid right now. So yes, let's hope that doesn't happen. *touch wood touch wood touch wood*

Although he is very good looking so I'd have beautiful children. That would be some consolation I suppose.

I love the fact that with your username you don't like babies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

Nope, I really doubt I'll have children. And if I were to, I'd never have my own, I'd adopt.

Stacey. wrote: »
    Nope, I really doubt I'll have children. And if I were to, I'd never have my own, I'd adopt.
    Is there a specific reason for that? Don't feel obliged to say if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is there a specific reason for that? Don't feel obliged to say if you don't want to.

I just don't like the idea of being pregnant etc really :P Also there is that small risk you can die..I know and have been told over about how unlikely that is, but as I know someone that it happened to, it sorta scares me.

Probably a silly question :P But does anyone think they've met the person they'd want to start a family with yet? I ask 'cos most of the people I know in their mid twenties/early thirties who have families have been with their partners since 18-20!

*puts hand up*

I've been with him nearly 5 years now..rock solid tbh!:p

I know most people think 25 is very young to even consider starting a family, but what scares me is the thought of leaving it too late, and having a higher risk of conceiving a child with a disability, or having difficulty conceiving at all.

It's happened in my family..disability, difficulty conceiving..my baby cousin died a year and a half ago, he was only 7 months old..the grief was unlike anything my family had felt before..his mum was 40 when she had him.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    It's happened in my family..disability, difficulty conceiving..my baby cousin died a year and a half ago, he was only 7 months old..the grief was unlike anything my family had felt before..his mum was 40 when she had him.

I can relate.... tbh, a major factor in my decision is the disability factor, plus, a LOT of infant deaths in my immediate family... I honestly don't think I'd be strong enough to deal with either of those possible outcomes....

Triplets run in my family.. I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse..... :eek:

Hmm, we've been together 3 years so maybe. But I dunno, I'm still young so you never know what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

I can't see myself having kids, even though my friends will tell me this will change as I get older- but I don't know! I don't think I'd have the patience for them!

And if I do end up getting "broody", babies will not be coming out my uterus!!! It'll be adoption or maybe by then there will be some medical way for men to carry the children! HA!

Triplets run in my family.. I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse..... :eek:

Great craic is what it is:p

• Advertisement

Ah triplets are great. :pac:

Advertisement