Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't afford to pay my mortgage

Options
  • 20-10-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am in a awful predicament. I lost my job last year and unsuccessful in finding work. I returned to college as it was in my best interest financially plus I was interested in the course.

I have been looking for work tirelessly. The problem is, even if I find employment, finish college par-time, I still cannot afford to cover my mortgage. If I rent out the place the rental income I receive wont meet the mortgage repayments.

what do you do? As you can imagine I am under a great deal of stress and finding it difficult to concentrate on my studies. To add, I also work par-time.

If I asked the banks to extend my mortgage from 21 years to 40 years I could just about cover the repayments. This is not the banks policy but I honestly cant seem any other way other than hand the keys back.

Obviously I was on a good salary when I first took out the mortgage. I can't help but feel some companies are exploiting people looking for work, offering minimum wage due to the large numbers seeking work. I understand the whole economic and reducing costs side of things but it's not helping my situation

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Well if you can rent it you will just have to make up the difference. Move back home and see were you are in say 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Are you on the Back to Education Allowance scheme? If you are you may be eligible for Mortgage Interest Supplement.

Also, trying to come to an arrangement with your mortgage provider is a good idea. They're well used to people in your situation these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Renting the house, if you can, is a good idea. Even if you just let one room it might lighten the burden a bit?

Otherwise, as has been said, talking to your lender is advisable. I know you already have but I would imagine they would rather come to an agreement with you than have just another house on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

wush06 wrote: »
    Well if you can rent it you will just have to make up the difference. Move back home and see were you are in say 3 years.

Well if i rent it out i will have to fund the rent on where i will be moving to . moving home is not a viable option for me. I would be moving from my 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom . I wont be in a position to offer the banks much more as i have other financial commitments

it's a tricky sticky one

superbad50 wrote: »
    Well if i rent it out i will have to fund the rent on where i will be moving to . moving home is not a viable option for me. I would be moving from my 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom . I wont be in a position to offer the banks much more as i have other financial commitments

it's a tricky sticky one
    Why not continue to live there and rent the other room?

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Are you on the Back to Education Allowance scheme? If you are you may be eligible for Mortgage Interest Supplement.

Also, trying to come to an arrangement with your mortgage provider is a good idea. They're well used to people in your situation these days.

yes i do receive a contribution from the HSE on the mortgage interest supplement , a part supplement because i am working also . this is of great help but even at that i still fall short.

other loans etc have me in a tight spot until next year . and yes i am on the BTEA.

TNX for response . i will speak to the banks on this

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Why not continue to live there and rent the other room?

hi ,

by renting out the room i lose my mortgage interest of my mortgage interst supplement contribution , so just say if i were renting a room for 300 per month i would lose 400 per month , so i would be in a deficit of 100 euro. doesnt make sense i know but that's the way the system is. i would be further in arrear's

yes i do receive a contribution from the HSE on the mortgage interest supplement , a part supplement because i am working also . this is of great help but even at that i still fall short.

other loans etc have me in a tight spot until next year . and yes i am on the BTEA.

TNX for response . i will speak to the banks on this
    Like I said, you'll probably find the bank to be more accommodating than you think.

Good luck.

Edit:
    hi ,

by renting out the room i lose my mortgage interest of my mortgage interst supplement contribution , so just say if i were renting a room for 300 per month i would lose 400 per month , so i would be in a deficit of 100 euro. doesnt make sense i know but that's the way the system is. i would be further in arrear's
    Yeah. Didn't think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Well there is more professional help out there then mine. Just view all your options. Best of luck

Renting the house, if you can, is a good idea. Even if you just let one room it might lighten the burden a bit?

Otherwise, as has been said, talking to your lender is advisable. I know you already have but I would imagine they would rather come to an agreement with you than have just another house on their books.
    o
    yes i think all i can do know is talk to the banks . as i mentioned in an earlier post renting a room is not an option

thank you for your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Have a read about how bankruptcy works:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/what_is_bankruptcy.html

From my reading of it, it is designed to be painful for the person who goes into bankruptcy.

See if you'd feel comfortable going there. I think it'd be 12 years of bankrupcy pain versus the pain that you think you'll go through if you stay in your current position.

If you are, then maybe head into your bank and tell them that. Maybe ask for debt forgiveness on some of your mortgage and tell them what you would be comfortable paying.

Maybe... just maybe they might work out a deal for you because it might be worse for them if you went into bankruptcy.

Of course, I haven't a clue about legal issues so I recommend seeking legal advice before doing any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Talk to the bank about it. I work for one, and the last thing my bank wants is to repo a house, for then we are stuck with a property and have to pay all sorts of legal fees, etc. So it's better to keep the customer in the house, even if they pay interest only. It's a business view of things, so it may seem cold, but it does show how banks think, and it should give you an idea of how flexible they should be willing to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Talk to the bank about it. I work for one, and the last thing my bank wants is to repo a house, for then we are stuck with a property and have to pay all sorts of legal fees, etc. So it's better to keep the customer in the house, even if they pay interest only. It's a business view of things, so it may seem cold, but it does show how banks think, and it should give you an idea of how flexible they should be willing to be.

I wish people would stop doing whats in the interests of the bank and consider what is in their own interest.

If the situation is unsustainable and causing you stress, consider going interest only until bankruptcy law is reformed. If you are in serious negative equity take the bankruptcy option and rebuild your life with a clean slate and additional qualifications.

Clean Slate better than - €X00,000 of negative equity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

I am in a awful predicament . I lost my job last year and unsuccessful in finding work. I returned to college as it was in my best interest financially plus I was interested in the course.

I have been looking for work tirelessly . The problem is , even if I find employment , finish college par-time , I still cannot afford to cover my mortgage.
    If i rent out the place the rental income i receive wont meet the mortgage repayments.

what do you do. as you can imagine i am under a great deal of stress and finding it difficult to concentrate on my studies. To add , i also work par-time.

If I asked the banks to extend my mortgage from 21 years to 40 years i could just about cover the repayments. this is not the banks policy but i honestly cant seem any other way other than hand the keys back.

Obviously i was on a good salary when i first took out the mortgage . I can't help but feel some companies are exploiting people looking for work , offering minimum wage due to the large numbers seeking work . I understand the whole economic and reducing costs side of things but it's not helping my situation

any advice

Listen. The first thing you need to do is take a breath. You are not alone in this situation and seem to be trying every conceivable way to pay your way and should be commended for doing so.
    You need to contact http://www.mabs.ie/. They will tell you to sit down and do a plan for the bank, write down your incoming and outgoing costs and other bills. Inform the bank that you are retraining and hope to secure new employment out of this.
    Ask them for IO or ask them for a payment holiday. Put to them what you can "afford" to pay and make it clear to them that you have no other option.
    Keep copies of all correspondence, but when you have http://www.mabs.ie/ advising you, you should be fine.
    Look at the big developers. Are they losing sleep? The banks cannot get blood from a stone and as long as you are in contact with them and willing to work with them then this will act in your favour in the long run.
    I'm also including this link below. I know from personal experience (friends) that this can be an awful time and emotionally traumatic. It is no shame looking to speak to someone who can offer you some support, even if it is just a listening ear.
    Don't let this drag you down, it isn't worth it in the long run.

http://www.samaritans.org/?gclid=CJSE2K2R-asCFYVP4QodzAErkw

best of luck

daltonmd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Villa05 wrote: »
    If you are in serious negative equity take the bankruptcy option and rebuild your life with a clean slate and additional qualifications.
    Negative equity does not exist unless you are trying to sell.

Zulu wrote: »
    Negative equity does not exist unless you are trying to sell.

As long as you can meet your monthly repayments then this is somewhat true, it limits your options however if you wish to sell, change employment or trade up.

However, in this case it clearly exists because this poster cannot pay his mortgage and cannot sell and clear the outstanding loan.

daltonmd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

daltonmd wrote: »
    Listen. The first thing you need to do is take a breath. You are not alone in this situation and seem to be trying every conceivable way to pay your way and should be commended for doing so.
    You need to contact http://www.mabs.ie/. They will tell you to sit down and do a plan for the bank, write down your incoming and outgoing costs and other bills. Inform the bank that you are retraining and hope to secure new employment out of this.
    Ask them for IO or ask them for a payment holiday. Put to them what you can "afford" to pay and make it clear to them that you have no other option.
    Keep copies of all correspondence, but when you have http://www.mabs.ie/ advising you, you should be fine.
    Look at the big developers. Are they losing sleep? The banks cannot get blood from a stone and as long as you are in contact with them and willing to work with them then this will act in your favour in the long run.
    I'm also including this link below. I know from personal experience (friends) that this can be an awful time and emotionally traumatic. It is no shame looking to speak to someone who can offer you some support, even if it is just a listening ear.
    Don't let this drag you down, it isn't worth it in the long run.

http://www.samaritans.org/?gclid=CJSE2K2R-asCFYVP4QodzAErkw

best of luck

daltonmd

Listen to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

He's said nothing about wanting to sell.

Zulu wrote: »
    He's said nothing about wanting to sell.

Neither did Villa05. I think it's safe to assume from the OP where he says that selling is not a viable option that it is the case that he cannot sell up due to lack of demand or negative equity, or both? I am sure if he could sell up and repay the outstanding loan then he would do so.

If your accommodation meets your needs, are in secure employment and you can service your mortgage then NE is notional.
    For many who have lost their jobs it is a real existing problem.

I wish people would stop doing whats in the interests of the bank and consider what is in their own interest.

If the situation is unsustainable and causing you stress, consider going interest only until bankruptcy law is reformed. If you are in serious negative equity take the bankruptcy option and rebuild your life with a clean slate and additional qualifications.

hi ,

yes it genuinely does seem like the best option for me at the moment. I am just sick of the stress and worry , so much that i wouldn't care where i lived or what happened to my house. the whole recession / economic downturn has left a sore taste in my mouth

• Advertisement

Neither did Villa05. I think it's safe to assume from the OP where he says that selling is not a viable option that it is the case that he cannot sell up due to lack of demand or negative equity, or both? I am sure if he could sell up and repay the outstanding loan then he would do so.

If your accommodation meets your needs, are in secure employment and you can service your mortgage then NE is notional.
    For many who have lost their jobs it is a real existing problem.
    no lads selling would not be an option as i would still owe a considerable amount to the banks and maintenance company that services the apartments

hi ,

yes it genuinely does seem like the best option for me at the moment. I am just sick of the stress and worry , so much that i wouldn't care where i lived or what happened to my house. the whole recession / economic downturn has left a sore taste in my mouth

Good advice there. Thing to remember is that you are not alone and there are services available to you, use them, stop worrying, I know it's easier said than done but making yourself ill won't do you any good. You are not burying your head, you are looking at your options and planning to deal with this situation.

Good Luck

daltonmd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This is often true, but not always. Getting rid of negative equity is a great relief in the short term, but if you try to buy property in future you'll end up paying through the nose for credit (if you'll even be considered for it).

There comes a tipping point where the higher cost of credit in the future meets or exceeds the money you'll 'save' by defaulting on the loan.

(in fact, this is more or less what the government is arguing for us repaying our national debts right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

tricky one OP.

You need to approach the bank and see what agreement you can come to.

Only you know what the sums are, but you need to make an agreement based on your position not the banks. If they dont like it you need to stand your ground and tell them if they dont comply they wont be getting a single penny off you.

This should focus their minds. There are deals being done they just arent being published. For the bank to agree to taking the home back and writing off the debt although not officially happening by all reports is taking place.

Best of luck

This is often true, but not always. Getting rid of negative equity is a great relief in the short term, but if you try to buy property in future you'll end up paying through the nose for credit (if you'll even be considered for it).

There comes a tipping point where the higher cost of credit in the future meets or exceeds the money you'll 'save' by defaulting on the loan.

(in fact, this is more or less what the government is arguing for us repaying our national debts right now)

You know Monty, I have a feeling that those who do get themselves out of this mess will be very reluctant to ever borrow to buy property again.
    A lot of people bitterly regret entering the property market and will not make that mistake twice.

daltonmd

You know Monty, I have a feeling that those who do get themselves out of this mess will be very reluctant to ever borrow to buy property again.
    A lot of people bitterly regret entering the property market and will not make that mistake twice.

daltonmd

Hopefully. This notion that people are entitled to buy a house is not a good thing. For example, Switzerland is one of the wealthiest countries in the world (by many metrics), and yet just 22% of it's people own a house. I hope that Ireland moves in this direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Hopefully. This notion that people are entitled to buy a house is not a good thing. For example, Switzerland is one of the wealthiest countries in the world (by many metrics), and yet just 22% of it's people own a house. I hope that Ireland moves in this direction.
    I've said it loads of times - there are good reasons why so many happily rent there. We just have to take a look at the legal protections for both tenants and landlords and the systems that support them, and copy and paste them over here. It's not rocket science if people have a healthy, working rental market in countries 2 hours away from us.

I think that may be true to some extent for some people, but I think it only fair to remember that rents in this country became out of control. Suddenly those who may have rented were "steered" towards buying.
    Remember the bank advertisements showing the young couple in the back of the taxi?
    Credit was readily and easily available to anyone who looked. Young people were faced with paying exorbitant rents or getting cheap teaser rates and signing up for them for 40 years, all the while being told "property only ever goes up" and thinking if their circumstances changed then they could sell up, make a few quid and carry on.
    Add to that the poor rental market that existed, lack of regulation, lack of decent property, very few rights for tenants. This recession will change that to a degree.

daltonmd

I've said it loads of times - there are good reasons why so many happily rent there. We just have to take a look at the legal protections for both tenants and landlords and the systems that support them, and copy and paste them over here. It's not rocket science if people have a healthy, working rental market in countries 2 hours away from us.

I agree.

• Advertisement

I think that may be true to some extent for some people, but I think it only fair to remember that rents in this country became out of control. Suddenly those who may have rented were "steered" towards buying.
    Remember the bank advertisements showing the young couple in the back of the taxi?
    Credit was readily and easily available to anyone who looked. Young people were faced with paying exorbitant rents or getting cheap teaser rates and signing up for them for 40 years, all the while being told "property only ever goes up" and thinking if their circumstances changed then they could sell up, make a few quid and carry on.
    Add to that the poor rental market that existed, lack of regulation, lack of decent property, very few rights for tenants. This recession will change that to a degree.

daltonmd

Yeah, hopefully it will change, but as Monty said we need a change in legislation. That needs a pressure group, however.

Advertisement