Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip Scanners ?

• 20-10-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know anything about the scanners Vets would use to ID
    owners information from Pets that have been chipped ?

Are these scanners cheap or expensive ?

Is there an industry standard where all scanners would pick up info on all chips within Ireland ?

Is their a particular spot on the Pet where a chip would be implanted?

What information appears when a Pet is successfully scanned ?

Was curious to know if an ordinary Joe-Soap member of the public
    could purchase one of these scanners at a reasonable price and be able
    to scan a cat/dog themselves if they found a stray animal.

The reason I ask is quite often where I live you will see a Cat or Dog wander
    the area for a few days and sometimes they wont have collars, rather than
    ringing the pound I had thought if one of these scanner yokes was a reasonable price
    I could buy one and see if an animal was chipped or not.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

As accurate as I can so feel free to correct me anyone:

Scanners are approximately 80e upwards....but can be quite expensive depending where you get them from and some work better than others.

You need to look for a universal scanner that reads all micro-chips but generally if you buy one it ireland they will read most chips.

Chip is usually implanted in dog/cat between the shoulder blades on the back but can sometimes move around the body depending on how well it was implanted, what age the animal was etc.

The micro-chip code appears on the screen when the chip is scanned.

However unless you are registered to purchase micro-chips you will not have access to the owners details that the chip is registered too, you will only be able to find out if he chip is in fact registered or not with the individual companies. Depending on the starting digits you can find out what company the chip came from.

In my opinion its better just to bring the dog to a vet/pound/centre where someone can check the chip for you and the details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers for the info. Good to know.

Was not sure what info you'd get from a scanner but at least it would detect
    that a Pet was chipped or not chipped which would be useful if needing to
    make a decision on picking up a cat/dog off the street and bringing them to a vet.

~B

Advertisement