Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To squeeze or not to squeeze

• 20-10-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

hello all,

bought a few BB Bull weanlings bout 2 weeks ago. just looking for some advice. they are average age is between 6 to 8 months. just wondering would i finish these as full bulls out the shed for next year or would i be better to squeeze. never handle bulls before so just looking for advice. they are housed as we speak. i would want strong fences next spring if i did let them out. all ideas welcome. i finish bullocks for the factory at the min but never finished any bulls.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

I finsihed bulls this year for the first time. You cannot underestimate how much nuts they eat at an adlib diet. I have already bought 15 tonnes of high maize nut for 10 bulls.

At grass they were very quite and I never had any bother with them. They used to follow me from paddock to paddock without nuts.

That said I had well fenced land hi tinsile wire with 5000 volts strained to posts.

They will be sold in the next few weeks and then I suppose I will see how much is out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

newholland wrote: »
    I finsihed bulls this year for the first time. You cannot underestimate how much nuts they eat at an adlib diet. I have already bought 15 tonnes of high maize nut for 10 bulls.

At grass they were very quite and I never had any bother with them. They used to follow me from paddock to paddock without nuts.

That said I had well fenced land hi tinsile wire with 5000 volts strained to posts.

They will be sold in the next few weeks and then I suppose I will see how much is out of them.

sold 18 fresian bullocks old 1.6 years old at mart last thursday

463kg @ €845 each fed grass only all summer, long way to go before ready to be killed Christmas time I reckon

these were squezed @ 5-6mth old

next door neighbour sold 10 fresian bulls again 1.6yrs old 445kg@ 815 I think he said

same diet grass all summer

wouldn't like to have been buying either of them to finish them

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

hey newholland,

that alot of maize nut with the price of it, what age are you planning on killing them at ?

aidanki wrote: »
    sold 18 fresian bullocks old 1.6 years old at mart last thursday

463kg @ €845 each fed grass only all summer, long way to go before ready to be killed Christmas time I reckon

these were squezed @ 5-6mth old

next door neighbour sold 10 fresian bulls again 1.6yrs old 445kg@ 815 I think he said

same diet grass all summer

wouldn't like to have been buying either of them to finish them

they are interesting numbers between the 2, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bulls will thrive as good/better up to 8/9 months. If we were keeping them for factory over that age, would definitely be squeezing them to get most out of them.

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    Bulls will thrive as good/better up to 8/9 months. If we were keeping them for factory over that age, would definitely be squeezing them to get most out of them.

do you send bulls to the factory yer selves kay. i thought you would be killing them between 12 to 18 months. i always have my bullocks in for under the 30 months if i can to get the few extra cents for the bord bia. so if im keeping them over the 8/9 month i ould be better of to squeeze them

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bogman Billy

That's far too much, 1.5 tonne each! :eek: 1 tonne (give or take) each for 100 days (give or take) and up on the lorry under 2 years

Advertisement