Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to plant a potted sunflower?

Options
  • 20-10-2011 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I am a complete newbie to gardening. A child brought in a potted sunflower plant for the class a few wks ago. We watered the plant and kept in in the sunlght for a week or two until it opened out beautifully. Now I would love to plant to sunflower outside but I am wondering is it too cold and will the cold kill it? Or is it possible to transfer it to a bigger pot/container and keep it inside?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sunflowers are annuals - you plant them every year and they will not survive the winter. Most of the outdoor sunflowers have already faded for this year. Yours will certainly not survive outside, and I doubt it would survive repotting.

What you can do is keep it till it dies, cut off the head, save some of the seeds to plant in the spring and put the rest out for the birds. If you hang the head outside the window you should get a few brave birds come to take the seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 letteg

Thanks a million for that advice I will definitely keep it and plant the seeds in spring. Then the child will be pleased with bringing in the sunflower and seeing the results of the sunflower's cycle. I really didnt want to plant it outside and see it die immediately in the cold that would have been a real waste! At least now it can be salvaged in a way! Thank you!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Simple answer to thread title
    YES

Advertisement