Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod closed a thread because of misspelling

Options
  • 20-10-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

Clareman closed a thread in the Limerick city forum due to the op pressing the "w" key rather than the "e" key on his keyboard.

Considering that both keys are next to each other would it be possible to reopen this sensitive and topical thread please?

Is this the level of moderation we are reduced to these days?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bit more than just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Jumpy wrote: »
    Bit more than just that.

That's not what the P.M. he sent me said.
    A sensitive subject washed down the drain due to Mods failure to accept the truth.

Please don't question me without knowing all the facts first.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That thread started bad and then got even worse. If you want to rant about the state of the country, get yourself a blog. I totally agree with Clareman's decision to lock that thread.

The Limerick City Forum isn't the place for you to bitch and moan about how much you hate the city. It's not the place for you to antagonise those people who enjoy the positives the city has to offer.

12% of your posts in that forum have been red carded, so you're in no position to give out about the mod-team that gives up their free time to keep the place running to a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

gihj wrote: »

Dispute Resolution Forum

Let me throw in one of these too :rolleyes:

That thread started bad and then got even worse. If you want to rant about the state of the country, get yourself a blog. I totally agree with Clareman's decision to lock that thread.

The Limerick City Forum isn't the place for you to bitch and moan about how much you hate the city. It's not the place for you to antagonise those people who enjoy the positives the city has to offer.

12% of your posts in that forum have been red carded, so you're in no position to give out about the mod-team that gives up their free time to keep the place running to a high standard.

Started bad?
    What rules did it break?
    Spelling or punctuation?
    How did it get worse?
    What rules did it break?
    I can rant about whatever i like as long as i don't break the rules.
    I didn't break the rules.
    Claremans p.m. as good as admitted that.
    The Limerick city forum is a place for me to air my views as much as i like as long as i don't break the rules.
    I didn't antagonise anyone.
    Why didn't Clareman tell me i was antagonising someone?
    Because i wasn't that's why.
    It's none of your business as you are not the mod in question so please step back.
    My posting history is irrelevant in this case but thanks for the history lesson.
    I didn't give out about the mod team (please show me where i did).
    I questioned a particular mods decision.

Welcome to feedback.
    It's where a member can get some feed back.
    You understand the concept?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dispute Resolution Forum

Let me throw in one of these too :rolleyes:

Yeah cos it's easier than knowing the facts that.:rolleyes::p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Started bad?
    What rules did it break?

It started as an opinion about a local court case, and then turned into a rant about the state of the nation. As such, it was off-topic for a local forum.
    How did it get worse?
    What rules did it break?

The Golden Rule of the forum is to be civil to others. You failed to do so:
    Well guess what folks,it's a proper ****hole you're living in now and feel free to deny it on the off chance some miracle might change that.

I realise the usual suspects are gonna jump all over this now (maybe Laura will come on and gush about the highest hotel in the country,Thomond park and the French market) but at least she's well paid to live the lie.

The rest of you??
    Carry on living in the dark.
    I can rant about whatever i like as long as i don't break the rules.
    I didn't break the rules.

Wrong and wrong. There's a certain minimum standard that posters should aim for, and your post was nowhere near it.
    The Limerick city forum is a place for me to air my views as much as i like as long as i don't break the rules.
    I didn't antagonise anyone.

You called out "the usual suspects", as well as a local media personality. And there was your assertion that we all live in a "****hole" too. That's pretty damn antagonising.
    Why didn't Clareman tell me i was antagonising someone?
    Because i wasn't that's why.

I can't speak for Clareman, but I'd guess it's because he had the good sense to tell you to get lost instead of wasting time pointing out (what should be) the obvious.

It started as an opinion about a local court case, and then turned into a rant about the state of the nation. As such, it was off-topic for a local forum.

The Golden Rule of the forum is to be civil to others. You failed to do so:

Wrong and wrong. There's a certain minimum standard that posters should aim for, and your post was nowhere near it.

You called out "the usual suspects", as well as a local media personality. And there was your assertion that we all live in a "****hole" too. That's pretty damn antagonising.

I can't speak for Clareman, but I'd guess it's because he had the good sense to tell you to get lost instead of wasting time pointing out (what should be) the obvious.

I'm still waiting for an infraction (from either of you).

Why haven't i got one if i broke a rule?????

Because i didn't,that's why.;)

Go on,do it now.

If you need me to ask well then what does that say about you?:rolleyes:

Ha, an opening post going off topic??????

That's the best i ever heard.

What in gods name are you trying to prove here?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

gihj , there's a difference between feedback and just being argumentative and confrontational.

If you want to have your feedback taken seriously please try to give it constructively and drop the aggression. This is not a forum for you to have a go at the mods, its a forum to give your opinion on the site.

An opening post *can* be off topic. for example, posting about the latest fantasy book from author X in the films forum. If the post was not suited to the forum it was posted in then it could be locked. The first only two posts in that forum were not a discussion or inviting opinion or comments. Post 1 was a statement of disgust followed by a general slagging of the country as a whole. your response had nothing at all to do with the topic of the thread but instead was, yet another, attack on Limerick city (something you seem to be quite fond of doing judging by your other posts in that forum, perhaps you should just not post there anymore if you feel so strongly against the place?) followed by a quite antagonistic pre-emptive attack on posters who have dared to disagree with you in the past.

Mod did right to close the thread before it turned into trench warfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's none of your business as you are not the mod in question so please step back.
    In a feedback thread any user is allowed to give their 2 cents. If you have a problem with people 'getting in your business' maybe you should follow the Dispute Resolution process instead, starting by PM'ing Clareman about your issue. When his PM was unsatisfactory (as you have already said) you chose not to avail of step 2 in DRP, which was to PM the Category Mod above Clareman (Black Swan; Mr. Magnolia), or step 3 which was to open up a dispute thread in Dispute Resolution, a place in which only admins and affected moderators and their category moderators are given permission to post.

By choosing feedback you made this an open discussion.

It's also worth pointing out Moderators are only Moderators in the forum's they are assigned. If you are still wondering why you haven't been infracted by any moderator on this thread, for instance. For the intent and purpose, Insect Overlord, Myself (and Clareman) are regular users in this forum. While in a technical capacity we could card you, that's not how the site is run, by convention. Only an admin will infract or ban you from this forum, and LoLth appears to be in a good mood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    When his PM was unsatisfactory (as you have already said) you chose not to avail of step 2 in DRP, which was to PM the Category Mod above Clareman (Black Swan; Mr. Magnolia)...
    I had not been PM'd, where it may have been resolved before coming to Feedback. But now that it has gone to Feedback, after reviewing the posts in question and this thread, I have to agree with LoLth (above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

12% of your posts in that forum have been red carded,

Should be banned from the forum then, for making too much work for the mods there.

No-one should have to put up with muppets like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Des wrote: »
    Should be banned from the forum then, for making too much work for the mods there.

No-one should have to put up with muppets like that.

absolutely right. There have been precedents where a user has been banned for causing trouble repeatedly, constantly arguing with mods on thread, repeatedly de-railing threads to stand on their soapbox and of course the classic "us v them" arguments at any vague hint of a post that could possibly be misread to contain a veiled "attack". Its hard to prove and care has to be taken to seperate personal feelings or dislikes for those users from actual cases of deliberate troublemaking but no mod, cmod or admin should ever have to put up with muppetry. there's enough stress involved in a voluntary service as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm still waiting for an infraction (from either of you).

Why haven't i got one if i broke a rule?????

Because i didn't,that's why.;)

Go on,do it now.

If you need me to ask well then what does that say about you?:rolleyes:
    That you didn't require an infraction but the thread still required closing? The two can be mutually exclusive.

Thread title and opening post are lies btw - so it's not the level of modding "we're" reduced to "these days".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

The thank you whores are out in force! lol:rolleyes:

its not nice guys to label the guy a muppet though in what is supposed to be a feedback thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So how many thanks are you hoping for with your post?

I'd have to side with the mod decision on this.

The OP was painful to read IMO and as far as i know a thread already existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Thanks whores" (a phenomenon that's mostly all in the head) because you don't like what they have to say?

I disagree with the OP being called a muppet though, even if I understand the frustration that has caused it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's not what the P.M. he sent me said.
    A sensitive subject washed down the drain due to Mods failure to accept the truth.

I had decided to let others give their opinion of my locking of the thread rather than steamroll in, imvho the internet is a place for the whole world's population to have an opinion rather than be told what to say, thanks to 1 of the most horrific human inventions 1 of it's best has spawned, I will never profess to being the Oracle (I have some of their qualifications if that counts though) or to being the ultimate decision make, I will however try to be fair as often as possible, I will also try to be transparent while trying to uphold some privacy. With all this in mind I thought it would be fair for me to post here what I sent in the PM referenced above.
    Hi,

Lack of puntuation may have been incorrect on my part, mis-use would be a more accurate description.
    Spelling, it's Cratloe, not cratlow.

There are plenty of threads on this topic already, feel free to add to 1 of those.

IMVHO, the Limerick City forum is 1 of the most difficult to mod due to the issues facing the city, along with the assumptions people make about the place, but the fact of the matter is (again IMVHO) it's fantastic city with great people with so much going of for it. I could have just deleted the thread, I could have merged it, I could have leave it go, I choice to lock it, to be honest I was going to search for the other topic on the subject but I was tired and figured as the Op couldn't have been bothered putting effort into the thread, I wasn't either.

I will admit to have just seeing the phonetic spelling of Cratloe rather that a simple finger slip, for that I apologize.

amiable wrote: »
    So how many thanks are you hoping for with your post?

I'd have to side with the mod decision on this.

The OP was painful to read IMO and as far as i know a thread already existed.
    Im not hoping for any thanks for my comment above,silly comment imo.
    secondly,im not disputing the mods discision for a second.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    How exactly is this FeedBack? It may be a 'thread' in 'FeedBack' but that doesn't give it some sort of get-out-of-muppetry-free card when you come here and post this nonsense as a means of sticking your oar in and having a go at people - Nothing the OP has offered is FeedBack, just posting out of spite.

The mods decision was clearly just but not in the eyes of the person who completely bypassed the DRP to post this non-feedback garbage.
    Erm........ yes its feedback,yes its a thread in feedback,the poster didnt like the decision to lock the thread so he is voicing an opinion in feedback :confused:
    Dudess wrote: »
    "Thanks whores" (a phenomenon that's mostly all in the head) because you don't like what they have to say?

I disagree with the OP being called a muppet though, even if I understand the frustration that has caused it.
    maby your right!!:D

anyway,the Mod who closed the thread has commented further and has probably cleared up a couple of issues that the OP had when he started the thread.

• Advertisement

Thats grand then,no problem.:)

Advertisement