Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread not about snow or winter in the weather forum but a question about tornadoes

Options
  • 20-10-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Why does the UK & Ireland only get weak tornadoes or even just wind funnels and not tornadoes of T4 - T7 scale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Too many mountains for a start. We don't have great plains and warm AND moist AND cold fronts [because of the lack of warm or hot proximity material].

But statistically, we do get about 40 touch downs a year ~ most rain wrapped and 'invisible'

As example the Tornado that devastated Tuscaloosa earlier this year with some 350 deaths, was on the ground for 85 miles and a storm path of over 300 miles ~ physically we just don't have the space either.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Thanks for the explanation! Does make real good sense! I just couldn't figure out why lol

Yeah, seen footage of that tornado on youtube and on storm chasers. If I remember correctly that was multiple tornadoes breaking out all over the place at an F5 rating?

I've looked into going on a strom chasing holiday next year but it's going to cost far too much, and I don't think I would get into the states because of stupid things I did in my teens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

You are from Eglinton, didn't you have one or two toradoes this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

whats this a weather thread thats not about snow? mods lock it plz:p

• Advertisement

Yeah there was 1 tornado that ripped through a field and farm, probably a T1 or T2. Pity I was about 35 miles away in the opposite direction that day!

There is a few funnel clouds that Martin McKenna has spotted at the bottom of Glenshane at Maghera, but nothing that has actually touched ground.

Yeah there was 1 tornado that ripped through a field and farm, probably a T1 or T2. Pity I was about 35 miles away in the opposite direction that day!

There is a few funnel clouds that Martin McKenna has spotted at the bottom of Glenshane at Maghera, but nothing that has actually touched ground.

That was a pity, when I saw where you were from, I thought - Tornado...

Min wrote: »
    That was a pity, when I saw where you were from, I thought - Tornado...

When I heard... I could of cried :(

because of stupid things I did in my teens!

That can be a bummer, but the States are the most forgiving too, your local embassy is a place to start and Iancar here has been on one of those trips so that's your next call.

Cost ~ if you can get in, and you want, it just has to be done. Ask Ian.

When I heard... I could of cried :(

Not surprised, I saw a few funnels clouds on a squall line once and it is impressive to see the funnel spinning.

It seemed Derry was the twister capital in Ireland this year.

• Advertisement

I've seen 1 funnel cloud myself a few years ago again in Eglinton, but it was back before phones had cameras.

Yeah Martin McKenna has seen probably about maybe 5 - 10 this year and all 5 minutes away from his home town of Maghera. Something about the mountains on the Glenshane pass and it coming down to completely flat land.

This picture was taken in 2009 and was really impressive to see, the clouds looked like there where rolling, really wish I had a video camera instead!

fbxfts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I've seen 1 funnel cloud myself a few years ago again in Eglinton, but it was back before phones had cameras.

Yeah Martin McKenna has seen probably about maybe 5 - 10 this year and all 5 minutes away from his home town of Maghera. Something about the mountains on the Glenshane pass and it coming down to completely flat land.

This picture was taken in 2009 and was really impressive to see, the clouds looked like there where rolling, really wish I had a video camera instead!

fbxfts.jpg

Whats this?.... a TORNADO thread???????!..... * CLICKS ENTER * :D

Class pic there pal... Ye looks to be the roll cloud/ squall line just past you at that time.

Sure .... The US is the Place to be! :D
    259879_10150285389376718_631736717_9717532_1291810_n.jpg

Im booked for next year already , and then hopefully a northern lights trip in January too if all goes well :D

lol I knew it wouldn't be long until you posted in here Ian :P

How much has it cost you to go over to America for the storm chasing tour? I would love, and I mean absolutely love to do the exact same thing, I just can't get enough of Storm Chasers and want to experience it myself.

Just looked at the pricing on Net Weather and I think £1800 is out of my budget at this present time, especially with having a 7month old baby! In a few years maybe.

P.S. Where can I buy your DVD and also how long is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I remember a tornado overturned a jeep on the beach in sandymount in Dublin about 9 or 10 years back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lol I knew it wouldn't be long until you posted in here Ian :P

How much has it cost you to go over to America for the storm chasing tour? I would love, and I mean absolutely love to do the exact same thing, I just can't get enough of Storm Chasers and want to experience it myself.
    Just looked at the pricing on Net Weather and I think £1800 is out of my budget at this present time, especially with having a 7month old baby! In a few years maybe.

P.S. Where can I buy your DVD and also how long is it?

Ye i do admit , it is alot of money. Only the fact that i had no priorities holding back and all was i able to go. Next year i'm lucky too as i not only get a 10% return guest discount , but also another %10 for an early deposit . So in euro that makes it 1645 . Add on 700 for flights ( i probably could get it cheaper as i visited my uncle aswell last year ) , then say 600 euro for spending money. So 3,000 say.... so ye , definitely ALOT but it was a amazing trip last year alone, and ill remember it for the rest of my life :)... Well worth doing it at least once sometime. People say , ah ya could just go over a rent out ur own car and go do it yourself for cheaper , ye thats true, but to be honest, travelling nearly 5000 miles over 10 days felt like half that as the amount of laughs we would have while on the road and that.

Shall pm you about the DVD pal :)

Advertisement