Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding tip-toeing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

deisemum wrote: »
    Well my area must be different as I breastfed up to 15 months and I wasn't the only long term breastfeeder 13 - 14 years ago and the HSE had a number of breastfeeding support meetings run by the PHNs and midwives in the hospital and they loved to see those of us who were breastfeeding older babies/toddlers coming to the meetings to encourage those with new or younger babies as well as discuss the issues longer term breastfeeding mothers may encounter.

They were very proactive and supportive. Maybe the difference was that the PHNs that I had were experienced in breastfeeding their own babies but then again those that I had at a later date didn't have children but were also supportive.
    you are in a different area to most irish moms then as the national adverage for breastfeeding at 3mths is 25% with the fall of at 6mths being as high as 90% *

in my area 1 of the local PHNs is great, but she covers the other end of my area, the other is supportive but has not got the time or up-to-date knowledge (her youngest is 16) to help. And that is needed as information changes all the time ie the process of 'latching on ' is starting to be disregarded in favor of the 'laid back' approach, new info on the composition of milk, duration of feed, tongue tie etc.

Having said ALL that, I have breastfed all three of my children, with different durations, and in all cases it was for the most part easy and straightforward, with no complications. A good book, a good pal and access to the internet will make it easy for most people.
    If more people knew the reality of artificial feeding early on then it would not be so popular. To make up a bottle, properly according to the manufacturers instructions, takes 40 mins in total. Any shortcuts and you expose your child to potential risks from contaminates in the powder#, as well as the fact that infant formula is not sterile and its ingredients are not controlled.
    If i took a healthy newborn kitten and fed it with pigs milk for no other reason then I wanted to, or it was more convenient for me, people would be repulsed and disgusted. But the feeding of a normal, healthy human with the milk of another animal has become the norm. weird world.

*Currently approximately 47% of mothers in Ireland are breastfeeding at discharge from maternity care (NPRS, 2008). Breastfeeding duration rate figures are not currently collected at national level, however, research studies indicate the fall-off in breastfeeding following discharge is worryingly high with less than 10% of infants still breastfeeding at 6 months of age.HE website
    #http://www.flca.info/HTMLobj-153/Contaminants.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

lynski wrote: »
    If more people knew the reality of artificial feeding early on then it would not be so popular. To make up a bottle, properly according to the manufacturers instructions, takes 40 mins in total. Any shortcuts and you expose your child to potential risks from contaminates in the powder#, as well as the fact that infant formula is not sterile and its ingredients are not controlled.

*Currently approximately 47% of mothers in Ireland are breastfeeding at discharge from maternity care (NPRS, 2008). Breastfeeding duration rate figures are not currently collected at national level, however, research studies indicate the fall-off in breastfeeding following discharge is worryingly high with less than 10% of infants still breastfeeding at 6 months of age.HE website
    #http://www.flca.info/HTMLobj-153/Contaminants.pdf

Must add also, what mother eats also affects baby, so if mother ate gone off pork not only she would get sick baby would too, mothers milk is not 100% safe. Depends on the mothers diet and if she eats out and gets food poisoning so does baby. My lads have never got sick from contaminated baby food... China has a bad reputation for contaminating formula alright, I wonder how many adults a year get food poisoning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Ayla wrote: »
    Since you brought it up, can I ask what exactly is it about breastfeeding that you find repulsive? I'm really curious about this thought...

Well personally i find the notion of feeding a baby a bodily fluid from ones chest kind of "icky". I just don't like the idea of it. I also am not too keen on the "expressing" thing where a woman will sort of milk herself like a cow. Ewww.
    Now, no disrespect to those who do it, i'm just giving my opinion on it, since you asked me to explain.

I don't think it is something that should be done in public. Once i saw a woman "doing something" under her clothing and when i copped on to what it was, i recieved quite a shock. Some things are best done behind closed doors. On subsequent occasions when i noticed BFing in public they sort of have a look about them as if to say " go on, i dare you to say somthing"

Maybe the reason for my aversion to it is that i am not particularly fond of babies and all that goes with them. I might even go so far as to say I dislike that whole subject area.

Having said this, I was still slightly stunned by my sisters proclamation that Polish womeen were too mean to buy formula and that was the reason they BF'ed.

EDIT: on reading back through the posts i noticed that there was much speculation about the relationship between class and BF'ing. To set the record straight I should point out that I am a middle class professional, so not all middle class folk are pro BF.

There is way too much focus on breast is best, I don't believe that for a min ( from my own experiences anyway).

There not a hope in hell anyone could convince me breast is better than bottle, I've seen it with my own kids. Whatever a mother decides to feed her kids it's up to her, to be made feel like they are giving second best to those kids is ridiculous. Whatever suits......
    that is your experience but medical study after medical study says otherwise. you could also look at your daughters situation another way - how sick could she have been had you chosen not to breastfeed? is is possible that your breastfeeding gave her a high degree of protection against a worse situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Master and Commander: The topic is the prevalence of breastfeeding not whether or not you agree with the 'ickiness' of it. Please stay on topic.

[edit]It's been pointed out to me via PM that this was in answer to a direct question and may relate to the OP with regards to perception of breastfeeding so I'll overrule myself here - Ignore the above. :)

• Advertisement

Must add also, what mother eats also affects baby, so if mother ate gone off pork not only she would get sick baby would too, mothers milk is not 100% safe. Depends on the mothers diet and if she eats out and gets food poisoning so does baby. My lads have never got sick from contaminated baby food... China has a bad reputation for contaminating formula alright, I wonder how many adults a year get food poisoning?
    This is an example of the information update that is happening in regards to breastfeeding. Thi sis not the case as was once thought http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breastfeeding-while-sick.html
    Breastfeeding while you are sick is actually preferred against not breastfeeding while sick. Whether you breastfeed or not your baby will be exposed to your germs, but when you breastfeed antibodies are transferred to baby that can help fight off the cold or flu.

These antibodies can actually benefit baby right through his life. The other benefit is that feeding baby will be much easier as mom doesn’t need to make formula or wash bottles…she can lie down and breastfeed. Your milk is also always available and at the perfect temperature.

that is your experience but medical study after medical study says otherwise. you could also look at your daughters situation another way - how sick could she have been had you chosen not to breastfeed? is is possible that your breastfeeding gave her a high degree of protection against a worse situation?

No...... If I had of bottle fed her I'm sure she would have still had chest infections every time she cut her teeth, I'm sure she would have ended up diabetic and I'm sure she would have lost her teeth, sooner or later. I don't think she would have been any sicker or healthier.

Just as I'm sure that if I breast fed the boys that they would not have been sicker or healthier, given that they were not sickly babies, however I do think they too would had suffered from tooth decay if I had of breast fed them.

Getting Diabetes is supposed to be lessened when your breastfed, diabetes type 1 is as it is. you cant get severe diabetes and mild diabetes. I do think breast feeding is overrated.

This is an example of the information update that is happening in regards to breastfeeding. Thi sis not the case as was once thought http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breastfeeding-while-sick.html

Cold and flu are different to food poisoning. What are the guideline regarding HIV, I'm sure they say that can be passed on via breast milk, if that can other things can be too...... The don't develop an immunity to HIV......

Cold and flu are different to food poisoning. What are the guideline regarding HIV, I'm sure they say that can be passed on via breast milk, if that can other things can be too...... The don't develop an immunity to HIV......
    Actually, if you read the link, the jury is out and the most recent WHO work says it is possible with a drug regimen http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/rtis/keshobora/en/index.html

Breastfeeding protects against most things in most children, but the reason there are statistics is that people are different. The facts are there, it is the biologically normal way to feed your child, regardless of benefits and as far as benefits go there are some great ones.

Going to the extreme of HIV is almost, IMO, akin to imposing Godwins law on this thread.
    Oh and forgot to add that the WHO recommends that Formula is the last option chosen if breastfeeding by a childs mother is not possible.
    For those few health situations where infants cannot, or should not, be breastfed, the choice of the best alternative – expressed breast milk from an infant’s own mother, breast milk from a healthy wet-nurse or a human-milk bank, or a breast-milk substitute fed with a cup, which is a safer method than a feeding bottle and teat – depends on individual circumstances.
    For infants who do not receive breast milk, feeding with a suitable breast-milk substitute – for example an infant formula prepared in accordance with applicable Codex Alimentarius standards, or a home-prepared formula with micronutrient supplements – should be demonstrated only by health workers, or other community workers if necessary, and only to the mothers and other family members who need to use it; and the information given should include adequate instructions for appropriate preparation and the health hazards of inappropriate preparation and use. Infants who are not breastfed, for whatever reason, should receive special attention from the health and social welfare system since they constitute a risk group.
    So to go back on topic. IMO the reasons for a normal healthy mother not breastfeeding a normal, healthy baby are few and far between and i cant actually think of one that would sway me.
    The tip-toeing around artificial feeders is annoying and hard to swallow and disingenuous.
    I wish the op luck in his mission to convert his friends; more men, like my hubbie, need to stand-up and be counted when it come to their children's health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Master and Commander, given your self admitted dislike to babies and all things that go with it, why bother getting involved ? Would you go into the lgbs forum and tell them you dislike everything they did if you thought that way ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

So to go back on topic. IMO the reasons for a normal healthy mother not breastfeeding a normal, healthy baby are few and far between and i cant actually think of one that would sway me.

Try being in hospital and being told your baby is dehydrated, has low blood sugars and is at risk of kidney failure because his fluid intake is not adequate, and being unable to meet his nutritional needs yourself.

That swayed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Well personally i find the notion of feeding a baby a bodily fluid from ones chest kind of "icky". I just don't like the idea of it. I also am not too keen on the "expressing" thing where a woman will sort of milk herself like a cow. Ewww.

You must have awful difficulty in the countryside or a zoo so, passing by all those disgusting mammals who feed their young. Are you repulsed enough by milk to be a vegan?

You are aware that human beings are mammals, aren't you? One of the characteristics of a mammal is
    "nourishing the young with milk from the mammary glands"
    I don't think it is something that should be done in public. Once i saw a woman "doing something" under her clothing and when i copped on to what it was, i recieved quite a shock. Some things are best done behind closed doors. On subsequent occasions when i noticed BFing in public they sort of have a look about them as if to say " go on, i dare you to say somthing".

You seem to be under the impression that babies are like robots and only get hungry at convenient times i.e. not out in public. What do you propose a breastfeeding woman should do - sit in a toilet maybe? To be so shocked, it must have seen a totally topless woman breastfeeding that you saw. Maybe you've led quite a sheltered life, but that would put you in a tiny minority of grown men who have never seen a pair of breasts before.

beachbabe wrote: »

Try being in hospital and being told your baby is dehydrated, has low blood sugars and is at risk of kidney failure because his fluid intake is not adequate, and being unable to meet his nutritional needs yourself.

That swayed me.
    that is not a normal healthy baby though! you made my point exactly.
    There are also new reports all the time to that change the thinking on a lot of conditions that previously were contraindicated for breastfeeding and medical staff are not always up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That swayed me.

Beachbabe, you are finding offence where there is none. Your post is agreeing with the post you are replying to. Obviously, your experience was exceptional and you were justified in your choice.

Beachbabe, you are finding offence where there is none. Your post is agreeing with the post you are replying to. Obviously, your experience was exceptional and you were justified in your choice.

Eh.... was not offended, sorry if it came accross like that. Was just pointing out the circumstance that swayed me.

that is not a normal healthy baby though! you made my point exactly.
    There are also new reports all the time to that change the thinking on a lot of conditions that previously were contraindicated for breastfeeding and medical staff are not always up to date.

He was normal and healthy at birth, unfortunately the problems we encountered made him ill. It has not put me off though, and I am more then willing to try again if we are fortunate enough to have more children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think I'd advise all pregnant women intending to breastfeed to meet their local la Leche league and get phone numbers for the leaders. At the first mention of formula because of low blood sugars etc ring them and ask for their opinion on stopping breastfeeding.
    I was given a la Leche league training book by a midwive and I looked it up when I got mastitis. I found out exactly what to do and also found out that the doctor hadn't given me enough antibiotics and I would've gotten mastitis again within days.

Information is the most important thing so mothers can make informed choices because perhaps formula is the best solution in some circumstances but at least you'll k ow that and won't be saying what if afterwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Also did you know that the growth chart you get when your baby is born and which is referred to by your PHN is based on averages for bottle fed babies. I know so many breast feeding mums who were unaware of this and constantly being told by PHN that baby was underweight. This caused them so much stress and worry. It seems like the PHN don't even know that these charts are based on bottle fed babies who generally put on much more, and more quickly weight.

The fact that bottles and formula are still available for free on maternity wards shows that the HSE is not fully behind breast feeding. Our health service is severely lacking in funds yet it pays huge sums of money every year to provide bottles and formula for free.

I think in general this obsession with the weight of babies is really unhealthy. It's extremely rare for a child in a Western country to be dangerously underweight. Really only severe neglect or disease could account for it and this idea of growth curves should be abolished IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think in general this obsession with the weight of babies is really unhealthy. It's extremely rare for a child in a Western country to be dangerously underweight. Really only severe neglect or disease could account for it and this idea of growth curves should be abolished IMO.

I agree with this entirely... my 20 month old weighs a grand total of 18 pounds... PHN keeps at me to "bulk her up"... the child eats the exact same as her 2yr 10 month old sister which is a bloody lot. She's healthy, never really sick, sleeps all night and has heaps of energy... there's not much I can do bar shoving sticks of butter down her throat to make her put on weight.

I think I'd advise all pregnant women intending to breastfeed to meet their local la Leche league and get phone numbers for the leaders. At the first mention of formula because of low blood sugars etc ring them and ask for their opinion on stopping breastfeeding.
    I was given a la Leche league training book by a midwive and I looked it up when I got mastitis. I found out exactly what to do and also found out that the doctor hadn't given me enough antibiotics and I would've gotten mastitis again within days.

Information is the most important thing so mothers can make informed choices because perhaps formula is the best solution in some circumstances but at least you'll k ow that and won't be saying what if afterwards.

I put in plenty of preperation to breast feed, read up on it, spoke to friends etc.
    I was not producing enough milk, so no matter who I had asked or what support I had, it was just unfortunately not going to happen for me.

• Advertisement

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Also did you know that the growth chart you get when your baby is born and which is referred to by your PHN is based on averages for bottle fed babies. I know so many breast feeding mums who were unaware of this and constantly being told by PHN that baby was underweight. This caused them so much stress and worry. It seems like the PHN don't even know that these charts are based on bottle fed babies who generally put on much more, and more quickly weight.

The fact that bottles and formula are still available for free on maternity wards shows that the HSE is not fully behind breast feeding. Our health service is severely lacking in funds yet it pays huge sums of money every year to provide bottles and formula for free.

Here is my ladys weight chart ( she was breast fed till she was 2.5 years)

at birth 9lb 1 oz (4.3kgs) ( 1 week early) 98th percentile
    4 weeks 5.3 kgs 98th percentile
    14 weeks 7.8 kgs 99th percentile
    19 weeks 8.9 kgs over the 99.6th percentile
    32 weeks 10.8 kgs over the 99.6th percentile
    38 weeks 11.10 kgs over the 99.6th percentile
    age 2 years 16.7 kgs over the 99th percentile
    age 4.5 she was down to the 91st percentile
    at 5 and a half she was down to between the 91st and 98th percentile
    at 7 and a half she was at the 25th percentile (due to being diagnosed diabetic with severe weight loss)
    at 12 she is on the 75th percentile however that goes down is she goes into ketoacidosis, where she can loose over half a stone in less than 3 days.

(also keeping in mind that she was mainly breast fed with very little solids until she turned 18 months, only then did she eat solids properly)

(so much for skinny breast fed babies)

Her height was also in the 98th percentile at birth and at 12 weeks it dropped to the 91st percentile at 46 weeks, was back up at the 98th percentile at age 2, 99th percentile at age 3 dropping to the 75th percentile at age 4.5 at age 12 her height is in the 75th percentile.

My boys (boys are generally heavier than girls) are much lighter than she she was and they were bottle fed. My middle guy was 5 weeks premature but could have ended up over 10lb at birth and my other son was 8lb 15 at birth one week early.

Prehaps mine are exception to the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The ban on formula advertising for children under 6 months is not only due to the nestle scandal.

International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes (http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/code_

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/2007/nov/babymilkpress

Breastmilk Substitute

Funny the effects words can have.
    Formula strikes as being carefully scientifically prepared, no wonder it gives the notion of being the 'best' way to feed a child, but in fact it is a Breastmilk Substitute.

The term Breastmilk Substitute, shows that what comes in tins and packets and cartons is not the default at all.

We have lost a lot of know how and knack, and it's only over the space of 2/3 generations. Both my grandmothers breastfed all their babies and they had nearly 20 between them, by the time I was having my kids breastfeeding was not the norm and I had over heard comments in the hospital by another new mother that she was not going to be feeding her baby like a knacker, while throwing me dirty looks.

Yes it can be tough, I would have given up if not for the help and support from my Mam and breastfeeding is very much the norm in our family, but I am glad that there is the option for us to use Breastmilk Substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

My baby is 8 months old and none of the professionals have mentioned growth charts to me, although he has been weighed. I agree that it's better to stay clear of them - just another way to worry a new parent!

my 8mth old has been off the charts from most of his life so far - we have been worried he is too heavy. the PHNs in fairness just look and say what a great ad for breastfeeding!
    He has so easy to feed - 10 - 15 mins at a time and well spread out and takes whatever food i give him no worries.
    One of the other moms at the toddler group has a 17mth old she is breastfeeding and he is lighter then my 8mth old.
    I now know, on my third, that I have an oversupply issue and one of the side-effects is rapid weight gain.
    The charts are there for a reason - to show the range of weights and heights - look at the baby not the chart is the only way.
    The amount of people why say to me 'what a bruiser he must love his bottles!' Haha 'no bottles, just me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

We are very lucky to live in an age where we have a choice in how to feed our babies and that as parents we should respect every other parents choice in how to feed a child. We are all only trying to do our best and raise our kids as well as we can. What purpose does it serve to argue over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

OP you're entitled to your opinions as much as anyone else obviously, but as someone who I take it hasn't breastfed yourself, it does irk me greatly the sweeping assumptions you make that those who bottle feed are most likely lazy/uneducated and that if we just persevered it'd be grand.

I am not ill educated, lazy or anything to that effect. I desperately wanted to breastfeed; to offer my child the best start in life but it just didn't happen.

The midwives in the hospital I attended were superb, but worked to the bone. They just didn't have the time to keep coming back at feed times to offer assistance as they were run off their feet.
    When I did call for help, it was not always possible for someone to attend me.
    After failing to make a correct latch despite perseverance all of day one and two until I was bleeding and engorged on one side, the midwives took baby from me so I could get sleep. That night they gave her formula instead.

I tried and tried to breastfeed my daughter, but after 2 weeks of agony, 4 visits to 3 different doctors; I was at the point of breakdown when I made the decision to bottle feed.

My mum was staying with me the first few weeks to help out. She had breastfed my sister and I, she offered every bit of support and help she could, but in the end she said the pain I was experiencing just wasn't normal (hence all the trips to GP's in those weeks)

The feeling of failure was overwhelming, I felt the first step to being a good mum & I couldn't even do that.

I have the greatest of respect and admiration for women who do breastfeed & hope to count myself as one of them when I have my next child.

However I truly hate feeling I have to justify my reason for bottle feeding & being classed as someone either ignorant of the facts regarding the benefits of breast feeding or else too self indulgent to bother trying.

I agree the figures of breast vs bottle feeding are way out of kilter compared to other countries. It is not so many generations ago the professionals telling us to breast feed were the one's telling us bottle was best apparently.

When my granny had her children, breast was frowned upon as 'an uncivilized' method of feeding and that bottles were much more nutritious!
    My Granny was a qualified nurse & my grandfather a member of the navy, so they were educated individuals.
    The same applies for my late gran on my dad's side of the family.
    perhaps some of this mentality remains considering that was only two generations ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

OP, I know this is supposed to be a time of equal rights, and you are of course entitled to your opinion,but as far as I'm concerned at the end of the day you are a man, and therefore will never have the opportunity to breastfeed. This makes it much easier to claim that no matter what you would persevere and do it, as you will never actually have to prove this anyway.
    I breastfed my 2 sons for almost a year each. I am happy I did it, but it was very tough in the beginning, and I was very close to giving up - it really could've gone either way for me.
    Not only would I say it's difficult of course for a man to understand just how a woman feels after childbirth,it is also of course difficult for all mothers to understand how all other mothers felt after the birth of their child.
    Some mothers have supportive husbands/parents. Some have relatively easy/straightforward births, healthy babies. Some women have higher pain thresholds. Some don't.
    In my case I had a supportive (non-pressuring) husband, a mother who breastfed my sister, but also an emergency c-section, after 12 hours of labour, milk that was slow to come, and nurses giving me differing opinions.
    My first born was so sleepy from all the drugs I'd been given, and not interested in feeding. Many nurses were pressuring me to formula feed, and kept on testing his blood sugars by pricking his heel ( very traumatising and made me feel guilty), as he would not eat. They were concerned about his weight loss. ( I did not know up to 10% was normal for a healthy weight baby). I was so drained emotionally, I had not slept in about 2 days. I felt useless. I gave him formula while in hospital( after trying to breastfeed for 20 mins at each feed).
    Some nurses said, my milk would come and not to worry, some said the baby is loosing too much weight. In the end I gave up and decided to formula feed.
    The day I was discharged a lactation nurse happend to be passing by and when she found out I had intended to breastfeed, she took all my formula off me. She managed to latch my (now 4 day old son ) on, and I was amazed he actually did drink. I went home happy enough, and low and behold my milk came in,and he drank all day long.
    Next day he went back in for his PKU. The nurse said he had lost too much weight, and that I need to "top him up ". I was so upset, felt like I couldn't feed my own child. The nurse advised I need to get him to the local health nurse ASAP to ensure he lost no more weight ( he was around 71/2 pounds, from 8lbs 2 birthweight) . I freaked out (hormones!) and sent husband to get formula.
    Before switching to the forumula I rang my healthnurse, but they actually happen to be so pro breastfeeding here, that they assured me my baby would be fine over the weekend. I decided to perservere with the breastfeeding through the weekend, and then see.
    Sure enough at next weeks check up, he had gained weight from breastmilk alone, and later that week he was back at his birthweight.
    All this does not take the physical pain into account.
    My point is that there were many times that I did/wanted to give up, but because of my husbands, and the health nurses support I managed to get through this difficult time. Not every mother gets this, and there was a very fine line between me continuing on and giving up.
    I never judge women who try, and fail, nor those who just feel it's not for them. I just hate people thinking I'm gross or icky, or that I should not feed in public. (If you don't like it, don't be looking down my top!) Of course we're like cows, we're all mammals aren't we?
    PS. Despite me exclusively (after the first 4 days) breasfeeding my son, he had refulx, and puked tons. Totally disappointing after being told breastfed babies don't spit up!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here.

It's amazing to think that those mothers who couldn't breastfeed their children for medical reasons....well, before the invention of formula milk, these babies would be dead now.

I wonder how much truth is being told here.

I've read all responses and made up my mind on that front.

Thanks to all.

I have a 5 month old boy with my fabulous wife. Breastfeeding didn't come easy to her....it took several weeks of trial and error before it began to work.

My question is gonna cause offence, I am sure. I have been called a "breastfeeding Nazi", but I am very curious.

Why is it considered ok to stop/refuse to begin to breastfeed? When did that become the norm?

I see so many problems with formula feeding among people I work with and my own friends. So many have confused growth spurts with the baby "needing solids", without realising that they are not lab mice and cannot be fed X ounces per day.

The amount of laxatives, painkillers and God knows what they throw down their children's throats is astonishing, just to get the elusive all-night sleep and to counteract the effects of this feeding by timetables rather than hunger.

I cannot understand any of it, really and truly. It all seems to be made for the parents and nothing in the child's benefit at all.

It makes me so sad to see this is the modern way and we have been made to feel like relics from the 3rd World, rather than parents prepared to rough it to give our boy what he deserves.

If by any chance this is actually published here, thoughts please?

Here is the original post just to refresh peoples memories. The OP was not talking about those who have tried and failed for whatever reason, he is talking about the 50% of Irish babies who NEVER receive the normal food intended for them. Not a drop, not even 1 mouthful.
    And he is right, why is it that those who breastfeed for longer then the perceived norm of 6 mths (artificially imposed by artificial milk companies) are the ones apologising?
    Why is it ok to question ones choice to breastfeed but not ok to question ones choice to bottlefeed? and i am not talking about midwives or phns or people whose job it is to promote breastfeeding, even if it that does not seem that way.
    I am talking about parent to parent? I am talking about tax payer to tax payer?
    Why when you raise your head to say actually study after study in country after country has found breastfeeding to be better for infants and for mothers you are dismissed as a nazi or mafia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

SurferRosa I think your story sums up breastfeeding awareness, training, support and culture in general in Ireland today. You should be very proud of yourself for sticking with it despite all the pressure and conflicting advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement