Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger scout

Options
  • 21-10-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I'm just putting this out there for a pros and cons discussion:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

What do you all think of it?

Do you think it has a place as a hunting rifle or is it something aimed at the US market?

It could make a nice brush gun but I would be worried about the impact of such a short barrel: 16.5 inches.

Has anybody seen or fired one?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seems a nice gun. .308, bolt action so unrestricted. The barrel length would be cause for concern though. Most ammo suited to 24" barrel and would work in a barrel down to 20", but another 4 inches shorter again could give you problems with slower speeds, less stability, and possibly opened groups.

Now while a hunter need not concern him/herself with groups it gives a good indicator as to accuracy for 100, 200, and 300 yards. I will not start up the whole barrel length debate because it will only derail a possibly good thread. The length though would provide a nice compact rifle for moving through growth and woodland.

So for me:

Pros
    • Compact
    • Light
    • Good caliber
    • Unrestricted
    Cons
    • Bullet issues due to barrel length
    • Possible issues with a license, but not really a major issue
    • Due to small size, lightness it could be "kicky"
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

the european model has a 18.5inch barrel it was in an article in shooting sports magazine in october issue,it wont have the open sights on it either.the us version is 16.5inch barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Have you ay source for that, Bazza?

It seems to me that removing the irons would make this rifle significantly less appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I like:

The concept.
    Short barrel.
    Picatinny rail.
    Availibility in left hand.
    Iron sights.
    Drilled for scope rings.
    Threaded barrel.

I dont like:

Flash hider (its as usefull on a civilian firearm as a €o€k flavoured lollypop).
    Stock colour (but its easy to respray)
    10 round mags, thankfully 5 rounders are available.

If the euro model came without Irons it would put me off buying it.

As far as accuracy goes, I shoot 1 1/2-2" groups @ 100 meters with a 18.5 inch barrel. Bearing in mind that its a 30+ year old semi auto with incorrect headspace so I think this modern bolt action will do just fine :)

GH

• Advertisement

I can see the accuracy being quite good if there was an 18.5 inch version.

But you're dead right, gun happy, the lack of iron sights really takes from the scout rifle mentality.

A double stack 10 round mag would be a nice addition.

It would be a good driven game gun for those of us who have trouble getting a semi and aren't into lever actions.

Left handed versions are always good!

Just a thought, but how much would you need to spend to make a rifle like this on say a remington action?

Hibrion wrote: »
    But you're dead right, gun happy, the lack of iron sights really takes from the scout rifle mentality.

Just a thought, but how much would you need to spend to make a rifle like this on say a remington action?

Not even from a the way it looks, but I love using Irons :)

Im unsure id the mags are single or double stack. If they are the same size (ie both the same size as a 10) then plugged it I would think it would be annoying as it would be to big hang to low to the ground for my liking.

If you had a remmy with a 1:10 medium contour barrel it would be a matter of cutting it down (rather having a RFD do it). I dont know how youd mount the forward picatinny rail, perhaps silver solder it on after contouring the underside of the rail to match the barrel/reciever ?

Cost.... its like asking how deep is a hole :P

GH

Also... look at the height of the front sight... with a threaded barrel, its just crying to be suppressed !

Look how a suppressor tames muzzle jump and recoil and of course looks cool too :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUy4n2sWdtc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5XV7NYAG2Y

GH

I doubt you would do it for the price of the ruger anyway. Every detachable mag system for the remingtons seem to be seriously overpriced.

The mags are single stack and you can get qn optional 5 round mag which is much shorter.

What sort of mod would you put on it?

• Advertisement

What sort of mod would you put on it?

Id say it would be easier and cheaper just to buy the Ruger

Suppressor wise, Id have to look around, but something that its OD didnt block the view/use of the Irons.

If they had it, id go with a Brugger and Thomet.

GH

Your youtube links don't seem to be working, GH

Your youtube links don't seem to be working, GH

I clicked the youtube button and inserted the link in .... after that im lost so if mods dont mind editing please :)

GH

Here's an interesting forum dedicated to scout rifles for those that might be interested in the concept:

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?board=9.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

heres one of your videos gunhappy i can't figure out what your other video is as some of the info is missing
    when embedding videos you click the youtube button and the only info you want to paste between the youtube brackets is the video code, which in this case is
    T5XV7NYAG2Y

ormondprop wrote: »

heres one of your videos gunhappy i can't figure out what your other video is as some of the info is missing
    when embedding videos you click the youtube button and the only info you want to paste between the youtube brackets is the video code, which in this case is
    T5XV7NYAG2Y

Ya kearn something new everyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I can see the accuracy being quite good if there was an 18.5 inch version.

Dont forget that Col Cooper who came up with this idea of this rifle,didnt concive it as a std iron site bolt action.This is where the whole concept of the long eye relif scope comes into play. Supposedly more accurate than iron sights and easier to use on running shots.Like it or hate it,there is no inbetween ..Do modern sniper rifles come with iron sights anymore too.??

Always..

Left handed versions are always good
    !
    Nice to know it is an option!:D
    Too much...I suppose you could build your own "scout" rifle as a concept gun .However for it to classify as a true scout concept ala Col Jeff Cooper it must be.

Of a medium MINIMUM 30 caliber and nothing below it.
    Be bolt action for accruacy.
    Have a long eye relif scope of low to medium power.
    Have various sling points,have a quick change high capacity magazine.
    Cant remember what the minimum accruacy was supposed to be.

I'm sure google or others can give you the full workdown on it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

the source is the article in shooting sports magazine i metioned they are making it without the irons and flashider for european market,if i get a chance ill scan the article in tomorrow.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Do modern sniper rifles come with iron sights anymore too.??

Is the AI series of rifle new enough for ya :P

Off the top of my head: HK PSG-1/MSG-90, Steyr SSG 69, Parker Hale M82... Of course any miliary bolt action that had a sniper varient generally kept the open sights, eg K98, .303 enfields, mosin nagants.
    bazza888 wrote: »
    the source is the article in shooting sports magazine i metioned they are making it without the irons and flashider for european market,if i get a chance ill scan the article in tomorrow.

Completely turned off now by the longer barrel lack of iron sights and Ill assume that the barrel isnt threaded at all.

If the american version could be gotten it would be great to see how well it would do as a hunting rifle out to 200 meters. Obviously get rid of the useless flashhider and put on a decent muzzle brake.

GH

ilike the american version of it aswell,looks good and i love the idea of shooting with the iron sights.has anyone got a copy of the magazine i mentioned?just have a flick through it read the article and maybe stick it up here if you can scan it as i cant do it at the moment,and im going off memory as to what exactly was said in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is the AI series of rifle new enough for ya :P

Very much so.Logically any rifle should have backup sights[Said he still missing iron sights for his R25:o] It just seems to be in the modern world of every concieveable scope and latest gizmo,the iron sight is considerd a "well if you really must use these you are in a world of hurt.so dont go there!"
    Off the top of my head: HK PSG-1/MSG-90, Steyr SSG 69, Parker Hale M82... Of course any miliary bolt action that had a sniper varient generally kept the open sights, eg K98, .303 enfields, mosin nagants.

Dont think the US sniper systems post ww2 have any??IE Winchester model 64 and the current Remington Msomthingorother:D

Completely turned off now by the longer barrel lack of iron sights and Ill assume that the barrel isnt threaded at all.

If the american version could be gotten it would be great to see how well it would do as a hunting rifle out to 200 meters. Obviously get rid of the useless flashhider and put on a decent muzzle brake.

Last time I saw the article on these,they were already threaded ipso facto by the flash hider???:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

iwas watching a sniper programme on discover it said all the m40s have rough battle sights incase the scope breaks,but the only time iv seen them on an m40 was on that programme unless they are removable

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Dont forget that Col Cooper who came up with this idea of this rifle,didnt concive it as a std iron site bolt action.This is where the whole concept of the long eye relif scope comes into play. Supposedly more accurate than iron sights and easier to use on running shots.Like it or hate it,there is no inbetween ..Do modern sniper rifles come with iron sights anymore too.??

I know absolutely nothing about LER scopes. Any opinions on which would be the best to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have'nt had a go of one yet but this is what i'm ordering for my winchester 1894 [ it's in a scout configuration]
    http://gunwriter.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/leupold-making-scout-rifles-better/

Is the 1894 a 30/30? If so where do you source your ammo and have you ever been able to get lever evolution ammo?

Also, how much did the Leupold set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i am only applying for the licence atm, the scope is about 400 dollars.
    ye it's a 30/30

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hickok45 takes a look at it here:

you thinking of buying one hibrion?looks cool,you can get new mags aswell in the us now in 3,5,10,round they look better than that box mag!

• Advertisement

I saw those mags on the Ruger website alright. They look good and are reasonably priced.

To be honest, I would actually like one of these now. They seem to be a really good all round rifle. The accuracy, even out of the 16 inch barrel, seems to be very good. Unfortunately i've only just bought a classic Winchester 1894 and a Beretta 87 T so I am really skint!

Although I can see one of these in the safe in the distant future ;)

Advertisement