Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger scout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

anyone got anything else since? also is it only stainless barrell for EU market? pitty i rather the black barrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

john_aero wrote: »
    anyone got anything else since? also is it only stainless barrell for EU market? pitty i rather the black barrell

You could either have the barrel refinished or import a gun from the US that would be US spec.

GH

You could either have the barrel refinished or import a gun from the US that would be US spec.

GH

but i take it the 16.4in barrell is too short though for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nobody knows for sure. You'd probably have to have a test case in the High Court to settle the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

This will open a can of worms......

legally what defines a long arm (rifle/shotgun) over a short arm (pistol) is a firearm with a barrel over 30 cm (11.8") and an over all length of over 60cm including any detachable components.

Short answer yes you can have is so long as the barrel is above those specs.

GH

in reply to sparks,

Theres no need for the Highcourt. If you get a licence for said firearm then take it. Ive been licenced several long arms with barrels generally from 16-18 inches over the years.

GH

• Advertisement

Short answer yes you can have is so long as the barrel is above those specs.
    That's only half the problem gunhappy. That's the "is it a long or a short firearm", which becomes a problem if the rifle itself would be restricted because of something else (eg. calibre or action).

The real issue is the barrel length - it's not legal in Ireland to shorten a barrel below 50cm on a rifle (60cm on a shotgun) unless you're an RFD who's fixing that barrel (and even then, you're required to immediately build it back up above the 50cm limit). For the Scout, which comes from the factory at 40-odd cm, that's not an issue because you're not shortening it; but you do run into the second half of the section dealing with barrel length which says that it's not legal to possess a rifle with a barrel under 50cm "without good reason or lawful authority".

Here's the problem. Say you apply for a licence for a restricted rifle from your local Garda Superintendent, and he issues it, and you go out into the fields with it to hunt. You'd be in possession of an unlicenced firearm because that licence came from a Super who's not legally authorised to issue a restricted firearms licence (it has to be a Chief Super). But the onus was on you to ensure you applied to the right person for the right kind of licence, so you get in trouble, not the Garda.

In other words, that piece of paper put into your hand by a Garda saying you're licenced to possess that firearm, cannot overrule the Firearms Act.

And so the problem is that nobody knows whether or not your firearms cert constitutes "lawful authority". Just because you have one that says you can have your sub-50cm-barrel rifle does not mean that that rifle is now licenced. And since the question is what a specific phrase in an Act means, this is always going to be an undefined area no matter what anyone says, until the issue gets settled in a courtroom somewhere, or the Oireachtas passes a new Act that defines the term.

So yeah, can of worms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

The 18.5 inch version should be fine. Ruger 10/22s have an 18.5 inch barrel as standard.

I put a link above to the export version for sale on guntrader.co.uk. It's quite pricey, all things considered.

I also sent off an email a few weeks ago to Ruger asking for availability of this firearm in Ireland and the full specs (as they aren't given on the website). I have to date received no reply, despite the fact that Ruger claim to answer all queries in 3 working days.

Hibrion wrote: »
    The 18.5 inch version should be fine. Ruger 10/22s have an 18.5 inch barrel as standard.
    18.5 inches = 47cm
    So you're still in the gray area.
    Meaning all the 10/22 owners out there with standard barrels are in that gray area.
    So you see why I think it's a can of worms...

Sparks wrote: »
    18.5 inches = 47cm
    So you're still in the gray area.
    Meaning all the 10/22 owners out there with standard barrels are in that gray area.
    So you see why I think it's a can of worms...

I know what you mean, but my way of looking at it is: nobody has opened that can of worms yet so why should we put ourselves through that hassle. I have a 10/22 so the 18.5 inch barrel would not put me off the scout.
    If it comes down to it there are ways of extending barrel length without actually extending the barrel. I remember seeing a cage type thing that the mod went inside on the end of a barrel before. This might be an option.

Don't forget, there are also plenty of custom 10/22s out there with far shorter barrels than 18.5 inches.

I know what you mean, but my way of looking at it is: nobody has opened that can of worms yet so why should we put ourselves through that hassle.
    Because who the hell wants to be the first poor sod through the grinder on that?
    I have a 10/22 so the 18.5 inch barrel would not put me off the scout.
    If it comes down to it there are ways of extending barrel length without actually extending the barrel. I remember seeing a cage type thing that the mod went inside on the end of a barrel before. This might be an option.
    Might be, but where in the act does it say how you measure the barrel length? They might well not take the length of the mod as part of the length of the barrel...
    Don't forget, there are also plenty of custom 10/22s out there with far shorter barrels than 18.5 inches.
    Yeah.
    You know the can of worms I mentioned? Well those are a pallet-load of worms...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Might be, but where in the act does it say how you measure the barrel length? They might well not take the length of the mod as part of the length of the barrel...

I think this is our saving grace here. Because no one has specified this, if it did go to a court case you could argue that you measured the barrel from X point to Y quite well. Of course we can't guess at the outcome of such a case, but I think it would be a valid argument. The fact that the rifle was processed through an RFD and the licensing system could only play in your favour.

All theoretical of course, but there are many ways to find 3 extra centimeters on a 47cm barrel ;)

I think this is our saving grace here. Because no one has specified this, if it did go to a court case you could argue that you measured the barrel from X point to Y quite well.
    Well, yes...
    ...except that there's specific provision for replacement barrels now, and those get shipped as a seperate part from the manufacturer. If measured in that state, would it be over the 50cm limit and would that be the opposing argument?
    Of course we can't guess at the outcome of such a case, but I think it would be a valid argument.
    It certainly would, but that doesn't mean it'd win the case :(
    I really wouldn't bet anything on the outcome of a case like that, and worse yet, if it wasn't taken deliberately, it might wind up being a particularly weak case but it would still set precedent.
    Unpleasantly risky, IMHO.

maybe i should have kept my mouth ****.

i do know one dealer has ordered this rifle for customer but delay as its in huge demand.

as for short barrell its hard see why they are worried about such a small change in size but hey its ireland.

i am still tryng find why such big change from EU to USA model

i do know one dealer has ordered this rifle for customer but delay as its in huge demand.

Can you tell us which RFD it was, John?

Can you tell us which RFD it was, John?

Lad in wexford that i was told ring. i have his name number in work but forgto ti

Wexford town or county?

Wexford town or county?

John Lambert

I might be in with John tomorrow. I must have a chat with him about the scout.

would you look at the tikka as well if woulnd mind?he has a 2nd hand one cheap

would you look at the tikka as well if woulnd mind?he has a 2nd hand one cheap

He has a good selection there alright. I'd trust John. There is no BS. He will tell you everything straight.

What type and cal are you looking at?

• Advertisement

well he actually said wouldnt recomend the ruger, even though never had or shot the scout just from own experience, pitty as i love look of it

he does recoment the tikka very highly

wan a .308 but with difficulty in getting stalking license i may have stick with .223 as be while before i be doing deer hunting.

I handled one of these today, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. It was a right handed stainless version with an 18 inch barrel.

It felt slightly heavier than I imagined. Although the balance was nice.

The iron sights could be better but the action was smooth enough and the trigger was surprisingly nice, for a Ruger.

All in all, I'm considering it.

One thing that bothers me, is that if it was threaded, the front sight would have to be removed.

i prefer the usa version, why can we not get that here?

Advertisement