Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairlawn Park, Finglas?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

There are two houses on this street for sale for 75k,
    I'm just wondering if this sounds good to you knowledgeable lot, it does sound good to me but then I don't know the area well.
    They are 3 bedroom semi-d's, I'm confused as to why the prices are so low and also if you were paying cash what would you offer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If it looks to good to be true, then it is. Drive around the area particularly at night, and see what's going on. There could be noticeable anti-social behaviour going on, Google Street View shows a couple of the houses burned out or boarded up, that could be old though.

On the other hand, someone still thinks he can get 280 for a Corpo terrace there: http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/18-fairlawn-park-finglas-dublin-11/109298

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Without damaging the reputation of the majority of good residents in that area, its the anti-social minority which have given this area a bad name hence the very low price. Replicate that all over the city in various areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

gurramok wrote: »
    Without damaging the reputation of the majority of good residents in that area, its the anti-social minority which have given this area a bad name hence the very low price. Replicate that all over the city in various areas.

+1 and to be honest, you're getting into very antisocial territory there... although there are good residents too.

January wrote: »
    +1 and to be honest, you're getting into very antisocial territory there... although there are good residents too.

I do know through my mother, a friend of hers is a Fairlwan resident, fairly decent family. As an ex-Finglas resident, certain estates have been ruined by a minority of degenerates. That said, other estates are fine in Finglas.

These 'super-low' prices are a result of anti-social behaviour from a minority in the estates and that is probably true in estates all over Dublin as i've met decent people from media labelled scum areas who in fact were more Christian than the Christians themselves if you know what I mean :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Thanks for the replies! I know Finglas has a bad rep but I can't help wonder how true or how bad it could be? For instance I'm living in kilbarrack at the moment and that has a bit of a name but truthfully I've never run into any trouble.

I have a baby girl and I really want to give her a lifelong home but without getting into debt it would be on a budget of around 75k, do you think I should consider Fairlawn as there aren't many other options out there within that budget?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For the sake of your child do not move there. There is a reason why the price is so cheap. Can you not rent for a couple of years in a nicer area for you and your child?

spockety wrote: »
    For the sake of your child do not move there. There is a reason why the price is so cheap. Can you not rent for a couple of years in a nicer area for you and your child?

Thanks for the reply. I am renting at the moment but I'm very worried about house prices going back up again. I totally understand where you're coming from, the area my child is raised is very important to me but I'm willing to have her in after school classes, drama etc elsewhere but I also don't want her living something she could fall in with I bad crowd (I know this can happen anywhere) or get trouble walking home from school for example.

I just wish I knew how long house prices were going to stay low because then I could stop worrying and just keep saving to what I have.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i live in finglas and where i live is lovely, great neighbours etc.and most of finglas is lovely but do not move to fairlawn. park.

there are loads of other lovely areas in finglas.

as for house prices going up again, you can relax for another couple of decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 STILETTOOO

and what's about barryfield area?? thanks

Stay away from Finglas South, so anything to the left of Cardiffsbridge Rd (if you were coming from Cappagh Road) up to Tesco.

Finglas West/East would be your best bet. Deanstown, Casement, Northway Estate, Glenhill are all lovely estates.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Berryfield is an absolute no-no

there are still bonfires lighting since halloween there.:eek:

OMG-Thanks

There's a lovely house on daft on berryfield and while looking at pictures I realised the Windows in the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms are boarded up :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

CarMe wrote: »
    There's a lovely house on daft on berryfield and while looking at pictures I realised the Windows in the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms are boarded up :O

Link: http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=623994

dazberry wrote: »

yep,the house is really beautiful inside,but would never buy a property next to huge open area like there......and as said irishbird " Berryfield is an absolute no-no "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I wouldn't buy a house next to a green like that, and I definitely wouldn't buy a house next to a green like that in a dodgy area of Finglas.

and what can you tell me about Abbotstown Drive?

I'm not sure what Abbotstown is like these days but I can say that the further you are away from the dual carraigeway, the worse public transport(buses) get as services do be stopped due to stone-throwing in an estate which could be a mile away from your house.

Abbotstown is ok, quieter than the south anyway. The 40D would be closest route for city centre.

Advertisement