Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Dog sitting advise!

• 21-10-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Last minute of course but I have to go to a wedding tomorrow in Meath and the person who usually looks after our dog if we are away overnight is not available! Am wondering of it is totally immoral to bring him with us and leave him in car while taking him out for walks etc during day and during reception and leaving him to sleep overnight there in his crate (hotel wont allow dogs) or does anyone know any dog siiers who allow dogs in their homes? He's only 10 months old, comes to work with me every day and is a totally pampered dog I'm afraid! I cant leave him in a caged kennel!! Is the car a cruel option? Don't be nasty to me folks please....just looking for some advise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

sure put him in a kennel,, there are some fancy kennels out there, like hotels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi OP

I bet your wedding is in Trim ! ;-) I know a very very nice dog sitter (she minds my 2 cockers when I have to go away and she walks themn every day)

Let me know if you need her details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't leave my dog in the car all night tbh or day even because I'd know he'd fret. Does the pup have it's vaccinations including kennel cough before people start recommending places to take it? Do you have to stay over night? Depending on how far into Meath you're going Traveloge over in air side might be an option as they allow dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Could you ask a neighbour or friend to pop in to feed the dog , top up water & bring for a walk.
    IMO it would be cruel to be left in the car plus you are running the risk of having the dog stolen.
    Gorteenman wrote: »
    Last minute of course but I have to go to a wedding tomorrow in Meath and the person who usually looks after our dog if we are away overnight is not available! Am wondering of it is totally immoral to bring him with us and leave him in car while taking him out for walks etc during day and during reception and leaving him to sleep overnight there in his crate (hotel wont allow dogs) or does anyone know any dog siiers who allow dogs in their homes? He's only 10 months old, comes to work with me every day and is a totally pampered dog I'm afraid! I cant leave him in a caged kennel!! Is the car a cruel option? Don't be nasty to me folks please....just looking for some advise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

My friends used to do it all the time and believe me their dog was the most pampered pouch ever. Since a pup the dog went everywhere with them and most times slept in the car. They travelled all over Europe with her and even when they went to restuarants with me when she could have stayed in my house she preferred to be in her car. Sadly she died at the ripe old age of 18 and now they do it with their new pup too.

Once when we went away we took our two and they had to sleep in the car - there was not a bother on them in the morning. They are used to travelling in the car with us all the time so its not like its not familiar and they are used to sleeping in it.

I think once its well walked and fed and had time to go toilet etc then its just going to sleep once you leave it. Make sure to leave at least two of the the windows open a little for air and park somewhere quiet.

Enjoy the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorteenman

Well not only was our dog sitter not available but the person who was to hold the fort at work became unavailable too so the problem was solved...dog is with me at work ad partner has to go to wedding alone! Thanks for advise, he's not vaccinated for kennel cough so I couldn't have brought him to a kennel anyway. I will get that done now in case of future emergency but I hate the idea of putting him in a caged kennel! Does anyone know anyone who looks after small dogs in their homes? He's a chinese crested powderpuff so not going to be a dangerous breed!! Love to know hoe Felabo knew the wedding was in Trim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

Poor you.

Hmmmmm Felabo = Physic Sally Morgan???? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

but I hate the idea of putting him in a caged kennel!

:pac: You know it's just like a pen with a bed inside -it's not like the dog is being sent over to mountjoy lol! Anyhoos I know somebody who home boards - i'll PM you the details as I'm not sure if I'm allowed post it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tk123 wrote: »
    but I hate the idea of putting him in a caged kennel!

:pac: You know it's just like a pen with a bed inside -it's not like the dog is being sent over to mountjoy! /Quote]

Hey; I'm really picky and there are some pretty unsuitable kennels out there but you should get the kennel cough shot sorted out, and then have a look around to find a good kennel or plan B minder that suites you& your pooch!!! I have a great place that I put mine when I go on week holidays ( 8 acre field and river to run in); a handy place for day trips ( lotza friends and running up& down a large garden) and afab new place I use for overnights every couple ofmonths. The dog loves the change of scenery and the gangs of dogs to play with, and you get a hassle free trip/ holiday/ wedding knowing she's having a ball! Took me a while of scouting to find places I thought were suitable for "my" needs but well worththe time investment; Internet search & then make an appointment to view & see for yourself. Twill solve manyfuture cricises and once you get a good place you ll never look back!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

This post made me smile :D

When I first moved back to Dublin our new house had no fences/walls and we didn't know any neighbours or good kennels and were due to go to a wedding with my sis and her hubby. They were moving house and had hired a big white self drive van for the move, so my 4 dogs and her 2 dogs plus me, sis and bro-in-law went in the white van to the wedding. My hubby went by motorbike cos he had to head straight to work in the morning. So we pulled up in the church car park, my hubby hopped into the back of the van with the 6 dogs to change out of his bike leathers and into his suit!! Then all through the reception and the evening we took it in turns to go out and walk the dogs in the hotel carpark in our finery.
    And everytime anyone asked 'who came to the wedding in a hiace? I'm sure I saw it in the church carpark too' we ducked our heads and said nothing :P

Advertisement