Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter pack...

• 21-10-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Ok im trying to find a good bike to start off on. I will be using it mainly to cycle to and from collage, 5 days a week (about 12.5 km's each way) and also just to get around on (so I can leave the car at home).
    I was thinking of maybe something like this
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272633_langId_-1_categoryId_212536#dtab

Also, the missus is thinking of getting a bike aswel.

Has anyone here had any experience with the above bike? What bike would you recommend? Not really sure about my budget yet but definitely wouldn't be spending more than €700.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

If it's just for the purposes you have stated, then there is no problem with this bike, the Shimano components on this bike would be at the lower end, but still very good nonetheless, the trouble is, if you buy this bike and get bitten by the cycling bug, which is highly likely, you will want to upgrade, ie, the wheels, the groupset......the bike. You ll probably get differing opinions, but all things considered, we all had to start somewhere, and peoples budgets aren't as big as they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

My 2 cents................ for €700 I'd go second hand, get something with 105/ultegra components, worth it in the long run, you might find yourself going on longer spins when you have a bit of comfort that comes with a bike with a better spec. happy hunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I see from your location you are in Sandyford so you should go down to Joe Dalys in Dundrum (next to the Luas bridge) and have a look around. There's no harm in shopping around before you buy.

I don't know anything about that particular bike. However I see it doesn't have mudguards and from what you are saying it sounds like you want to use the bike for transport rather than sport/leisure. I'd consider mudguards essential for that. The majority of bikes can have mudguards fitted (but not all) but a lot of the time these are relatively ineffective ones. The full length ones that attach to eyelets on the frame and fork can't be beat for keeping your legs and back clean and dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I would recommend against a bike with QR wheels if you're going to leave it at college all day.

For me, I'd get a not-very-fancy, strictly A to B for the commute and save the rest of the cash to put towards a decent road bike like that in your post.

Benefit of commuting with the crock is that when you get on the road bike, you'll be flying along.

Or, sell the car and get this ;)

Y148TTCC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would recommend against a bike with QR wheels if you're going to leave it at college all day.

TBH, the quick release wheels aren't any more at risk than bolted ones as an allen key is very handy to carry around. For college you need a BFO lock like this along with another heavy cable lock to secure the front wheel to the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

When looking round, at new and second hand, why not consider a hybrid, or similar. you can add paniers front and rear, mudguards fit no problem, usually!!! etc. and its ideal to go from A to B, If possible, save up and next year, if you get bitten by the bug, maybe trade it in for a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

Is this not a topic for a sticky thread, I think this is the 4th such thread this week. Clearly there are lots of newbies getting into cycling and this kind of thread will keep coming up.

On the subject in hand, I would advise buying a hybrid for commuting.

Advertisement