Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures in AfterHours

Options
  • 21-10-2011 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Is it time to bring pics back in there?

Trial maybe....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Trial maybe....

Can I ask what improvement you think it will bring to the forum as it seems to be ticking along quite well?

Do you think the problems that lead to the getting rid of pics from AH in the first place have gone away?

I am sure the AH Mods will be open to a discussion on the topic and I will approach it with an open mind I jsut want to know why you think it will improve the forum?

Thanks
    Rec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Why were pics banned from AH in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Trial maybe....
    x1pdjLWpBO_E_FeoQtjWJex0FcJiJozYqhRZw9odnTXVCp_t7tbApdkGE_O9moPAuv6FQzPVMbRZu8pmu5Cz4Gb16muRNX5IOMa72kJpg2Ps1d96lDfTu3I7ebnR58qO85DgiSgy9u2TwvbvwR0X_D28Q

Cool vids and links for pics, otherwise we will be bogged down in "entertaining" pictures like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pics have been banned from AH for a while now, and I don't think I was around when they were even allowed, but I'd assume they were banned because people would just start responding with pictures, or lolcats, or memes etc rather than actually engaging in the conversation, then it becomes a picture battle with people trying to post a better picture.

I think AH is better off without them. You can still link to a picture you think is really worthy of being posted on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Penn wrote: »
    Pics have been banned from AH for a while now, and I don't think I was around when they were even allowed, but I'd assume they were banned because people would just start responding with pictures, or lolcats, or memes etc rather than actually engaging in the conversation, then it becomes a picture battle with people trying to post a better picture.

I think AH is better off without them. You can still link to a picture you think is really worthy of being posted on the thread.
    Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pictures are hilarious in the right context and used in measured way but the place would just be inundated with pictures as a replacement for expression as opposed to complementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pics have been disabled in AH many years. The reason, I presume, is that people posted "funny" pictures instead of discussing properly, using words.
    For instance
    There's still CVPL for that stuff.

Btw, you should have seen Feedback before the use of lolcats were clamped down on :D

In essence, I'm not for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

biko wrote: »
    Btw, you should have seen Feedback before the use of lolcats were clamped down on :D.

I miss the flash hate mobs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Nah, the place would turn into 4chan. It's a discussion forum, not an image forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Imagine all the animated smilies we'd be subjected to.

• Advertisement

It would move AH one step closer to becoming an Irish /b/ in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

1 For,

Lots Against.

Another of Hals suggestions gets shot down. LOL

The main reason I was for it was....when someone quotes an anyway longish News Article of an important Topic, the auld Pics that get deleted can break up the wall of text and help get the story/point across and their might be a few less of the TL.DR posts when a serious Topic is worth talking about in AfterHours.

Also, some of the funniest posts I've come across are well timed funny pics.

I think folks are pretty quick to grasp the rules now, most Forums that I follow run without trouble so it could have been worth a shot to see how it went, easy to turn it off again if it didn't work.

Karsini wrote: »
    It would move AH one step closer to becoming an Irish /b/ in my opinion.
    What's this?

What's this?
    You really don't want to know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

1 For,

Lots Against.

Another of Hals suggestions gets shot down. LOL

The main reason I was for it was....when someone quotes an anyway longish News Article of an important Topic, the auld Pics that get deleted can break up the wall of text and help get the story/point across and their might be a few less of the TL.DR posts when a serious Topic is worth talking about in AfterHours.

Also, some of the funniest posts I've come across are well timed funny pics.

I think folks are pretty quick to grasp the rules now, most Forums that I follow run without trouble so it could have been worth a shot to see how it went, easy to turn it off again if it didn't work.

Usually when an article is quoted, the link to it is provided as well. You could just click the link and read it the way you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you use touch.boards.ie , pictures are viewable in AH.

super-rush wrote: »
    Usually when an article is quoted, the link to it is provided as well. You could just click the link and read it the way you want to.
    I would rarely click the link so I doubt others would.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I would rarely click the link so I doubt most do.

How else would you know that the person wasn't just making it all up?

super-rush wrote: »
    How else would you know that the person wasn't just making it all up?
    I trust my fellow boardies....

ah no, sure you'd know by reading it, unless it was some really weird story, then I'd probably follow it....unless it's one of those tiny links that are popping up abit more frequently lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

sheep1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

^^ That is why images are not allowed in AH. ^^

vv Same as this. vv

files_troll_2.jpg

Advertisement