Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second year WHV query

Options
  • 21-10-2011 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I arrived in Oz last week and am currently doing my 88 day rural work to entitle me to a second year visa.

I am thirty years old and turn thirty one at the end of April.

Will this effect my second whv or is there an age limit for the second year visa?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

To be eligible for a second Working Holiday visa, you must meet a number of requirements. You may apply either while you still hold a first Working Holiday visa or at a later date.
    General requirements

You must:

-have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
    -not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
    -be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

Once you apply before your 31st birthday you will be ok as regards age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

Thanks for that. I'm a bit dissapointed as i thought i would be able to apply for the second year visa before my first runs out in october 2012 instead of before my 31st birthday in april 2012. Good to know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure what the problem is?
    You simply have to apply before you turn 31, then you can stay until Oct 2013

Very good post from Jeckle above

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the problem is?
    You simply have to apply before you turn 31, then you can stay until Oct 2013

Very good post from Jeckle above

How early can you apply for a second one?

Would he not have to wait until maybe aug or sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You can apply online for it as soon as your 88 days are done. It basically turns your 12 month visa into a 24 month visa.

• Advertisement

Yup, you can as soon as he completes the regional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Quick question, would working in the lab of a winery in a regional area, qualify you for a 2nd year visa?

Define the lab.
    What are you doing? Sounds like it mgiht not count depending on what it is exactly

Well it would be working out in a remote town in NSW in the Laboratory attached to the wineyard, doing tests on the grapes and wine.

anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I don't think so TBH. I looked into doing lab work connected to mining, sample testing etc, but it wasn't deemed eligible for a 2nd WHV. I'd imagine only agricultural work connected with the wineries would qualify.

Plus is the winery in the Hunter valley? I might have misheard but I didn't think that area fell into 'regional' for 2nd whv purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I don't think so TBH. I looked into doing lab work connected to mining, sample testing etc, but it wasn't deemed eligible for a 2nd WHV. I'd imagine only agricultural work connected with the wineries would qualify.

Plus is the winery in the Hunter valley? I might have misheard but I didn't think that area fell into 'regional' for 2nd whv purposes?

Depends on the post code.
    Note: Not all postcodes in the Hunter Valley fit within the definition of regional Australia.

New South Wales

2311 to 2312
    2328 to 2411
    2420 to 2490
    2536 to 2551
    2575 to 2594
    2618 to 2739
    2787 to 2898
    Note: Excludes Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm
    Examples of eligible specified work:

picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    constructing a house
    extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    undertaking an archaeological survey
    working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    working as an architect or town planner
    working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme