Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plastic Welding

• 21-10-2011 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering would anyone be able to advise me where I could get plastic welding courses. I have searched on the net and all directing me to UK or USA, I would rather a course in Ireland if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Kazz11,
    Im just wondering if you found any of these plastic welding courses anywhere or if anyone else knows where these may be held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kazz11

No still havent heard or found out anything. It seems not to be available in Ireland which I am shocked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Thanks for the reply Kazz11,
    A useful trade at the moment. Surprised there's nothing available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

There's a mobile number given on a thread here for a workshop in Dublin

http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forums/index.php/topic/80574-plastic-welding/

Sixth post down, and a couple of years old but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

dunno why you're shocked - hard to make a living at it on it's own.......

But loads of people to plastic welding - a lot of the car shops have the equipment, and the equipment sellers usually offer that to them.

The best equipment (imho) on the market, comes from Leister - and you'll find the equipment, here: http://www.welwyntoolgroup.com/vehicle-repairs.aspx

Here's their how-to video. They do have agents in Ireland btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

galwaytt wrote: »
    But loads of people to plastic welding - a lot of the car shops have the equipment, and the equipment sellers usually offer that to them.

The best equipment (imho) on the market, comes from Leister ....

Those Leister welders are also quite common in some areas of the roofing industry - if you know any roofers that haven't emigrated yet, you might get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Popeleo wrote: »
    Those Leister welders are also quite common in some areas of the roofing industry - if you know any roofers that haven't emigrated yet, you might get lucky.

True the same guns - just different nozzles, which you can buy.

Or, there used to be lots of them in the PC manufacturing co's of the industrial estates of Dublin at one stage..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tipptop1

hi could anyone tell me what the difference is between these plastic welding kits and a heat gun with a plastic welding rod, considering that these welders cost around 160 euro and a good heat gun costs around 50?

also can anyone tell me what best type plastic rod to use to bond polyethylene plastic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd say you'll be prone to warping what you're welding if using a heat gun - far too inprecise I'd have thought

could you get away with a good variable temp soldering iron I wonder?

hear people using cable ties as welding material. And I've seen someone using offcuts from a cut up rear fender (offcuts from diy tail tidy iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Polyethylene need to be welded with polyethylene, it comes in thin rods that you feed down the nozzle of the welder and move it along.
    Its not that hard to do, but like any welding practice makes perfect.
    The nozzles of the welder have a V that makes the fillet and the the rod fills the V as you move along the weld. This is to ensure that the weld has a maximum of surface area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tipptop1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Polyethylene need to be welded with polyethylene, it comes in thin rods that you feed down the nozzle of the welder and move it along.
    Its not that hard to do, but like any welding practice makes perfect.
    The nozzles of the welder have a V that makes the fillet and the the rod fills the V as you move along the weld. This is to ensure that the weld has a maximum of surface area.

thanks, would the broke piece of polyethylene that i am trying to weld back together have to be heated as well as the welding rod? like would the heat from the welder not distort the plastic on the broken pieces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be prone to warping what you're welding if using a heat gun - far too inprecise I'd have thought

could you get away with a good variable temp soldering iron I wonder?

hear people using cable ties as welding material. And I've seen someone using offcuts from a cut up rear fender (offcuts from diy tail tidy iirc)

Yeah, cheap soldering iron and cable ties is what I use. Also to strengthen the weld insert staples or similar. Lay staple across the join, place soldering iron on the staple and as the staple heats up it softens the plastic and sinks in.

Advertisement