Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Attempt

Options
  • 21-10-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I believe a scam attempt is being made on me at the moment. What's interesting about this, is that it fully relates to my line of business so just thought I'd post here to get others thoughts and to warn of such instances which seem they may be genuinely seeking your services. There's a few points to this mail which made me suspicious, the opening line "You're to contact the shipper", the other use of English, the fact it's UK to Australia and the @yahoo address of the shipper.
    Hi,

This is Cassy. You're to contact the shipping agent regarding my
    household items consisting of furniture which comprise of a dining set
    weighs 490 Lbs and the number of shipping case is one.The Dimensions:
    78"W x 49"H x 27"D that I need to delivered back to Australia from
    United Kingdom, I will also forward a copy of your email to the local
    shipper in UK for his correspondence.

Please contact the agent and supply him the information below:

Closest Airport to you for pick up:
    Available Date of shipment:
    Outstanding Charges:

This is the shipper's details:

Shipping Company: Westward Freight Ltd
    Shipper's Name: Peter Harrison
    Shipper's Email: westwardfreightltd@yahoo.co.uk
    Shipper's Phone: +447045770203

Do get back to me with your cost for moving and storage and method of
    payment so that I can go ahead and make payment if you can be able to
    move the items.

Regards,

Cassy

Anyone agree that it's probably a scamola? I reply to each quote request I get so don't want to ignore them if it may actually be genuine, but I doubt that..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Yeah the language and email address would ring alarm bells.

Why not email Westward Freight asking is it common for them to use yahoo account emails. They might like to know their name is being used in a possible scam and if they can confirm Peter Harrison works for them and his details are correct it could be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good idea, have just sent them a mail, to their .com email address, pointing them towards this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Westward Freight Ltd are real - but don't use yahoo in their emails (on their site anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks guys, got a mail back from the REAL Westward Freight.

Quite a quick response, so probably a decent company themselves tarnished by scammers, that would be such a pain to happen to your business :(
    Hi

This is a scam & nothing to do with us.

Best Regards

Lee French

Westward Freight Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement