Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading for computer science

• 21-10-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm hoping to do computer science next year and was wondering if anyone on the course could recommend any books in particular that might give me a head start with the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Izzie11 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do computer science next year and was wondering if anyone on the course could recommend any books in particular that might give me a head start with the course.

http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great place to start. You can take online tutorials in many of the technologies you will encounter in CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Wouldn't recommend W3schools

In first year the programming language you use is PHP and you also learn HTML5 and CSS, however I would recommend learning something like Python so you wouldn't be bored in your lectures. Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner is pretty good and it helped me out before going into first year. It goes a little slow at times but manages to keep things fairly interesting and it is quite a good introduction into programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

cplusplus.com has a great tutorial for beginners. and c++ is the greatest language in the world (gonna get slated for this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

cplusplus.com has a great tutorial for beginners. and c++ is the greatest language in the world (gonna get slated for this)

But it's barely taught in the current CS course, I'd recommend getting "Head First java" it's for beginners and a knowledge of Java for second year would be a great help!

Advertisement