Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The 5 hours that some of the lads in Kevin St used to sit on Bubble Bobble for a single credit probably undermines the earning potential of the cab somewhat.
    I can see them emptying the cash box at the end of the week and finding about £4.80 in it!

Probably took a lot of credits to build up to that skill. I used to be able to 1cc Time Crisis 2 but I sure spent a few bob attaining that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally a mystery solved!!!

I've had a Mercs PCB for ages but haven't been able to get 2 player working. Nothing to do with the controls, it just wouldn't coin up.

The manual didn't really help either :(

Turns out you've to have the switches 4,5, & 6 in dip switch bank B ON to get players 1 and 2 to coin up from the same coin chute/service button.

Otherwise it's waiting for a separate coin shoot.

Anyway, it works now. Can play it two player!

You could make up a splitter harness and play 4 player on 2 cabs ;)
    Fairly east to do!

youd need 3 friends tho..................:D:D:D

Master of the Universe

Mercs 4 player? you sure you're not thinking of another game :p

There's the option for a player 3 via the kick harness.

I wonder would it be possible to create a CPS1 kickharness > Saturn controller adapter?

You could then give player 3 a Saturn arcade stick. That'd be a cool little project.

I'd only need 2 friends then...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mercs 4 player? you sure you're not thinking of another game :p

There's the option for a player 3 via the kick harness.

I wonder would it be possible to create a CPS1 kickharness > Saturn controller adapter?

You could then give player 3 a Saturn arcade stick. That'd be a cool little project.

I'd only need 2 friends then...

If your circuit reading and soldering skills are up to scratch here's a schematic I found for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/da5fdydt5y3i5mg/JAMMA_to_Saturn.BMP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Should be fairly easy to do actually :)

Master of the Universe

Name your price :D

I wonder would a Saturn controller port fit in a seimitsu button plug?

Would be fairly excellent having the player 3 port on the control panel :)

Leave it with me, shouldn't cost too much. Basically just a rewire job on one of the supergun chips.
    Don't think the saturn socket will fit in the button plug though, will check the size.

Master of the Universe

Thanks!!!

I looked up the kick harness pinout for player 3 on The King of Dragons and it's exactly the same, so should work for that too :D

So I charge twice ?? :)

Still have Urbanledges KoD, so I might even be able to test it out...

• Advertisement

Yeah take your time with it.
    Didnt know KOD was 3 player!

**** it,
    sending that polo chassis to gunblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Leave it with me, shouldn't cost too much. Basically just a rewire job on one of the supergun chips.
    Don't think the saturn socket will fit in the button plug though, will check the size.

Possible to convert to serial and back again? A serial port should fit in a standard button hole.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Possible to convert to serial and back again? A serial port should fit in a standard button hole.

Possible alright but you'd need a second chip to deserialise the data back to Jamma again inside the cab so driving up the cost and complexity.

Might use be able circular DIN instead to passthru the cabinet and controller adaptor cables same (as on the supergun) so different types of controllers an be used, not limited to Saturn alone.

now your onto a winner Bandit!
    A n64 port would fit?

Master of the Universe

How about the PC Engine DIN connection? I think it uses an 8 pin mini DIN.

So you could plug a PCE controller straight in or else build controller adapters for it :) (plus mini dins are fairly standard, so no hacking required to get controller ports)

The number of pins in the DIN really depends on whether you want the ability to use different controllers or not.

An 8 pin DIN would work fine for a single controller type adapter and would support either a PSX, Saturn, Atari, SNES, NES or a PCE

Megadrive would need a 9 pin DIN

And on the supergun I use a couple of extra pins to figure out what type of controller is connected so ideally a 15 pin or 13 pin DIN is need for the whole lot.

Now things are getting complicated :)

Master of the Universe

:D

So if you were to use the 8 pin mini din, could we could have PCE going straight in without any adapter and with a Saturn adapter you could support a Saturn stick too? That's all I'd need really :)

Or would you still need the extra pins to detect the Saturn input?

You need another pin to detect whats plugged it. Plenty of 13 pin DIN stuff available though and they're the same physical size as the 8 pin ones.

What size are the semitisu buttons ?

All the hardware work for this is already done, so its really a case of making up a simple neat solution that's easy to install and remove from a cab.

Master of the Universe

Here are the ones I have in mine, they're 30mm across.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIMITSU-PS-14-G-ARCADE-PUSH-BUTTON-BLACK-GREEN-PS14G-/390171167304?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5ad8038a48

As for a solution, could be more or less the same as FrancoB's headphone yolks.

So you cut a hole in a button plug, feed a few MM of the adapter through and use something to screw it down.

On his one, the headphone jack has a couple of screw threads on the top and a metal ring to screw it down to the CP.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I love Domy Jr. cabs. There's just something so unique and excellent about how they look.

Imagine my utter horror when I saw this.

domy0.jpg

What the actual fcuk?!

Looks like it was saved by one of the guys on AO. The insane original owner was going to throw it out!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27125

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Thats Brilliant, is there actually a 4 player 7 button game to play on it, or is that for 4player N64 games?

Master of the Universe

That's the ridiculous thing about that (and most) of these monstrous control panel home made jobs.

Something like Knights of Valour supports 4 players and 4 buttons, but I can't think of anything which requires more buttons than that.

X-Men can be up to 6 players but only uses 3 buttons.

when people get asked why they went with so many buttons they always say they want to play N64 games etc!

Getting the polo chassis back off grant this week.
    Turns out I'm a fool that can't count.
    I replaced the CRT socket with a 9 pin one instead of an 8 pin. This shorted the red gun causing it to be on all the time aka red screen.

Besides that he replaced a few caps and the HO transistor and fixed up a few other bits I bodged. He said it's running beautifully!

He also went easy on me. £47 posted back to PM
    Gotta be worth it considering the stress this **** causes me and I constantly invite it on myself!!

By the way the 9pin socket fits in perfectly and even has a hole for the extra pin on the neckboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Just launched my chassis over to him a couple of days ago via parcelmotel. Was wondering how to manage the return.

Parcel motel all the way urban? Does he charge much on top of his own charge for UK postage?

It actually came to 12pounds in the end with insurance.
    He said he only uses curriers as he can't get to a post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I like this Jamma Snes :

Here are the ones I have in mine, they're 30mm across.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIMITSU-PS-14-G-ARCADE-PUSH-BUTTON-BLACK-GREEN-PS14G-/390171167304?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5ad8038a48

As for a solution, could be more or less the same as FrancoB's headphone yolks.

So you cut a hole in a button plug, feed a few MM of the adapter through and use something to screw it down.

On his one, the headphone jack has a couple of screw threads on the top and a metal ring to screw it down to the CP.

Managed to squeeze a Saturn controller socket into a Happ 28mm button so should be fit it into a 30mm button. Having the actual saturn socket fitted is a bit handier as no adapter cable is need, can only use a Saturn controller but seeing as they're so awesome shouldn't be a problem :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Managed to squeeze a Saturn controller socket into a Happ 28mm button so should be fit it into a 30mm button. Having the actual saturn socket fitted is a bit handier as no adapter cable is need, can only use a Saturn controller but seeing as they're so awesome shouldn't be a problem :)

You absolute legend! Should work perfectly with the Saturn stick you fixed up for me :)

Advertisement