Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

There poxy looking lads!
    lets be honest

I was on the fence at 800 certainly woulden't be interested at what they'll go for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Offered me one around three years back for 800, probably talking double that now, they certainly are an acquired taste, on the fence about them myself.

Yeah when I was picking up my SNK cab there was one going for about the same price.

I'm pretty sure though that there's a 26 inch version and an 18 inch version. I think these are 26 and he usually prices cabs of that size about €800 or so. So maybe it'll be the same again?

Although they do have rotate mechs and with shmups constantly increasing in value...
    urbanledge wrote: »
    There poxy looking lads!
    lets be honest

Haha!

I really like the monitor bezel/colour and everything, it's the control panel that's odd. But's it's kind of growing on me, in the same way the Egret 29 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

foto4.JPG

Nice I wonder how much he will charge for that

Master of the Universe

Lots :(

Anything with 'Taito' on it tends to go for a fortune these days.

• Advertisement

Got to see that asteroids cocktail my uncle got off mitch. It's absolutely lovely.
    It's also 100% Orginal. Only missing the lock.
    Needs some tlc and cpo's but it's gonna be a stunner.
    I powered it up. Monitors working afaik but the pcb seems busted. Gonna send it away and skip the crap.
    Very clean inside. Massive game pcb! I'll post a pic tomorrow

Master of the Universe

Thought I'd have a proper crack at that vertical multi board over the weekend, so I changed the gate on one of my arcade sticks from 8 way to 4 way.

As it turns out, my reasons for being **** at Pacman, Donkey Kong and a whole host of other games was down to the gate.

So I think I'll leave player 1 as a 4 way stick and player 2 as 8 way.

Player 2 is far more centralized so better for shmups anyway.

Sure it's a reason to have a second stick anyway, not like I ever play 2 player shmups with people! They tend to just want to kick the ****e out of each other in a beat em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Makes a huge difference alright - anyone try those auto switching 4-8 way sticks ?

Read an article a while ago about how Pacman was programmed and the control system was designed in with only 4 directions in mind and that using a 8 way stick will absolutely hinder your progress.
    It doesn't correctly interpret the NE, NW, SE, SW directions correctly and fills the input buffer with the wrong direction.

Master of the Universe

Yep, that's exactly it!

You really don't realize how often you're hitting diagonals when using an 8 way stick. Just try to play Pacman or Donkey Kong and you'll see straight away. If you hit a diagonal, the player character just stalls.

There are 4-8 way auto switching sticks?

I'd love something I could switch between without having to open up the control panel and break out a screwdriver every time.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Interesting, I wonder could you take the switching mechanism and apply it to a Japanese stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I tried a few different 4/8way switchable sticks and they were all ****, granted I haven't tried that one linked yet.
    I ended up installing octagonal restriction plates, its pretty easy to hit the 4 ways without hitting diagonals on 4way games and great for 8way games too.

All the sanwa sticks I've had have been changeable in a few seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLXRD-0GBg

Ya is easy to change the plate IF you can access it :)

Having an external switch or have Mame automatically switch between 4/8 is a lot more convenient then popping up the control panel.

easy on a candy because of the way the cp lifts.
    would be hard on a jamma woodie allright

Master of the Universe

It's the same on my cabs with Seimitsus. You change the gate in about 30 seconds.

However I've a 6 switcher in the Pony with 5 PCBs in it. Don't fancy popping the control panel and changing the gate every time I switch between classics and more modern stuff. (I do this a lot, might play some Donkey Kong and then switch over to Ibara)

The 1 stick as a 4 way, 1 stick as an 8 way 2 player setup kind of works fine. But if I could have a mechanically switching one for player 1 that would be ideal.

Sounds like a dedicated DK cab is required :)

What sort of scores you getting in DK?
    I broke 100,000 last weekend for the first time on the new cab.
    think I got 117,000.
    75,000 on the first man!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs1C4wSbZm9p0m5VwTHm1wEBTshf6rUywm7Rqe65hPg0wDqTg5

Master of the Universe

Fair play!

I'm still a total newb so nowhere near any of that. Definitely want to try and get good at it though, it's really addictive.

I watched world records on you tube.
    just the first 10mins and you can see all the tricks.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Looks like Ronnie didn't go for Grandma's game centre.

You can have the lot for 7000gbp.

http://www.highway.net.au/bulk-offers/assorted-arcade-cabinets/117.html

8819.31 EUR
    I'll throw a grand down on a group buy, remember there is VAT/Freight/Port handling charges too so probably looking at 13,000 by the time they arrive, still less than €200/machine and all those boards, could be some gems there.

Master of the Universe

I'd say you could probably double the price after freight and all the additional costs. Imagine how much you'd be stung for import duty on something like that.

If I had a load of spare cash lying about (how many sentences start that way! :D) I'd import the lot, do them up and sell on. Would be a great project.

yea 13,000-15,000 all in anyway, customs may go to town on ye too, you just don't know for sure until they've docked

I have yet to see a group buy like that work out.
    they all start out with the promise of cheap cabs but end up being same price as Ronnies in the end!

If it was that good of a deal I'm sure some of guys who make a living out of importing/selling these would be all over it.

If that's the case imagine the prices Ronnie is getting his cabs for?
    Or it could be with the prices being all over the forums the usual sellers are steering clear as they don't want people knowing what they paid for them as then there profit margins will be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

one day...
    hss01.jpg

Master of the Universe

Anyone see the Smash TV Blast City project over on AO? Absolutely gorgeous!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28123

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

A word of warning for anyone interested in getting a candy cab - stay well clear of Jeff and Digitalsystemsdesigns. I know he was hard to get hold of in the past, but jeez, this thread makes for some bad reading.

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59836&PN=3&title=jeff-digital-systems-poor-performance

Advertisement