Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    A word of warning for anyone interested in getting a candy cab - stay well clear of Jeff and Digitalsystemsdesigns. I know he was hard to get hold of in the past, but jeez, this thread makes for some bad reading.

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59836&PN=3&title=jeff-digital-systems-poor-performance

Jasus!! Makes Ronnie's customer service look awesome in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Even so, Ronnie will have dollar signs in his eyes if Jeff is shutting up shop.
    He will clear up. I have dealt with the two of them and not had any issues...Jeff especially treated me excellently with a Fook up he made.

Overall I thinks it's just supply and demand. These lads are a one man show and get greedy and keep excepting orders they can't fulfill.

yep dont go near him with a barge pole.
    I was lucky that he did have the monitor in my blast fixed in the end.
    I was out 40e postage he said he'd pay.and the CP on the blast was rusted when I bought it.
    that was silly money to replace. 250e fully populated or something crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah! Your Blast Landed DOA. Didn't realize it was you who posted that in that thread.

I remember that now. Lucky you had the proficiency to replace the chassis, many wouldn't.

It's mad to think you can have far older cabs arrive from the Netherlands without any issues, yet a Blast couldn't even make it from the UK without a borked monitor.

On a different note. I've decided to add another cab to my collection and am checking out an Area 51/Maximum Force from Darth vader on adverts(who i think/hope is Mitch).

Any reasons not to go for such a cab? It's been modded with a flash card instead of the hdd(but still the real pcb) so should be a bit more reliable.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Area 51 is an okay game, but they're both heavily dated looking at this stage due to all the FMV and prerendered stuff. Are you a fan of either of them?

If I were you I'd be going for the Point Blank one instead.

Or neither of them and hunting down Time Crisis instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Steve SI wrote: »
    On a different note. I've decided to add another cab to my collection and am checking out an Area 51/Maximum Force from Darth vader on adverts(who i think/hope is Mitch).

Any reasons not to go for such a cab? It's been modded with a flash card instead of the hdd(but still the real pcb) so should be a bit more reliable.

I'd love a gun game cab,nice one....those Area 51's are huge yolks aren't they.
    Never really liked the game though. Virtua cop series cab would be my love...or I'd take HOTD.

I kind of just want a gun game, not a massive fan of Area 51/Maximum Force but might be a laugh.
    The point blank is nice, but I'm not sure about it.

But... there may be another option (depending on a few things) after chatting to Mitch on the phone just now :)

Anyone know if you can somehow get House of the Dead 2 running on a Ninja Assault arcade machine? It's a Naomi gun machine but I don't know much about Naomi stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Stick a Saturn in it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'd go for the the Point Blank machine if I had the space and knew the first thing about a real arcade cab, ha, but that might just be nostalgia talking... I may be already pushing it with one cab in the works. If I thought about another one the mother would probably kill me...

I'm planning to throw a PS and a spare set of Dreamcast cables in when I eventually get around to putting a MAME cab together so I have somewhere to play HotD, Time Crisis 1-3 and Crisis Zone. Not the best suggestion if you're looking for an original shooting game cab though.

• Advertisement

I think I'd rather the real deal in this machine. So I'll be sticking to arcade hardware.

Master of the Universe

Is it a rear projection or a CRT cab?

I've only ever seen pictures of rear projection Ninja Assault machines.

Is it a rear projection or a CRT cab?

I've only ever seen pictures of rear projection Ninja Assault machines.

It's this CRT one.
    ninja-assault-arcade-machine.jpg

Not this massive yolk :)
    1044671973.jpg

Master of the Universe

Still a bloody big machine all the same :D

It's identical to the HOTD2 cabinet and they're both Naomi setups so I'd say there's a lot of interchangeability there alright. (possibly even just popping in a different GDROM?)

house-of-the-dead-cabinet.jpg

Edit - can't find much info on HOTD2 hardware, I think it uses a game rom board instead, no GDROMs here.

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/game-pcbs/sega-naomi/house-of-the-dead-2-mainboard-833-13635-02-/prod_284.html

Still a bloody big machine all the same :D

It's identical to the HOTD2 cabinet and they're both Naomi setups so I'd say there's a lot of interchangeability there alright. (possibly even just popping in a different GDROM?)

house-of-the-dead-cabinet.jpg

Edit - can't find much info on HOTD2 hardware, I think it uses a game rom board instead, no GDROMs here.

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/game-pcbs/sega-naomi/house-of-the-dead-2-mainboard-833-13635-02-/prod_284.html

I think Ninja Assault is the same, just a rom board.

You could prob use a CF loader set up.
    edit- naomi shooters always have 10 or so LEDs in the bezel for the guns to work.
    Does this cab?
    if not its probably not comparable

urbanledge wrote: »
    You could prob use a CF loader set up.
    edit- naomi shooters always have 10 or so LEDs in the bezel for the guns to work.
    Does this cab?
    if not its probably not comparable

I'm not sure yet of much about the Ninja cab. Mitch will get me more info tomorrow i think.

Here's a quick and nasty 3D view of the cabs to get an idea of the size. The HOTD 2 cab is the same as the Ninja one.

Just played a round of golf via neoturf master,
    class game.better off setting the difficulty to 1 and the wind stays low making the game playable in the later rounds!
    I really do love the blast city tho.
    gotta get me a street fighter for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Theres a great condition point blank machine up on donedeal, well there was not sure if its still there. Ive a Time Crisis 1 at home, always wanted that cab, mitch sorted me out, its in great condition too. had to buy the game and a gun though and that cost a couple of hundred, bought a new gun though because i didnt fancy a filthy old one. works a treat, you cant beat a gun game with recoil!

Looks like I'll be welcoming a Point Blank cab into my home in the near future courtesy of our friendly neighbourhood arcade man Mitch :)

• Advertisement

lucky ****er!
    I might have an arcade deal i n the works too.
    top secret...........will know in 3/4 weeks

Master of the Universe

Does anyone know how those celtic tiger log cabin things hold up insulation wise?

Something like one of these;

http://loghouse.ie/products.html

Just thinking in relation to a pool/arcade room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well with a wall thickness of less than 2 inches its pretty safe to say that they are a big pile of sh1t insulation wise

You could get one and dry line it yourself but those cabins are notoriously expensive for what you get.

If you have some spare time and want to do it right you could put up your own cab in a few weeks. Proper one with bricks and a proper roof. Coming from a construction backround I can tell you its not anywhere as daunting as it seems. Not to metion it would be so much better value than a prebuild shed

yea the missus has one in her parents as a workshop and its an ice box.
    As jack says over prices and under insulated .
    also if I'd be worried that I'd "forgot" about my games and stop using them.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I just looked at the plan view and the walls are scary thin :eek: there goes that idea!

Remove everything from Kitchen, install arcade there and live off take away and deliveries. No need for outside cold shed then :)

Planning out my arcade room at the moment. Going to build a room in my garage

Only thing that annoying me is that the floor is sloped about 5-6 inches over the span of where im building so I think the best best is cutting the joists to match the slope of the floor, using big **** off joists aswell, to take the weight of machines!

Or I could build up the sloped side with some blocks and have a floating floor situation but I'm thinking that I'll be bringing some sag on myself for the sake of a few extra hours work cutting

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

yea the missus has one in her parents as a workshop and its an ice box.
    As jack says over prices and under insulated .
    also if I'd be worried that I'd "forgot" about my games and stop using them.

Even my own shed which is bricks is an utter ice box in the winter, so I can only imagine 45mm would be even worse. You're dead right too, if it's not a comfortable place to game then you just won't use it...& I eventually sold off all my cabs for that very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

lucky ****er!
    I might have an arcade deal i n the works too.
    top secret...........will know in 3/4 weeks
    This?

1181242183221.jpg

• Advertisement

So the guardians of the galaxy transformation is complete waveform?

Advertisement