Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I don't think I've ever played the Point Blank arcade game. Is there much of a difference between it and the PS1 game, or is it much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    You've made the right choice sir!
    Point Blank is a very fun and varied shooter.

Man is this thread hard to keep up with!

Yeah, i think I did make the right choice. Will be cool if i can swap in other gun games without to much hassle. Point Blank 2 maybe. Not really sure if its possible but I'll certainly be checking it out.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent! Any candy in particular take your fancy?

I would say Egret 2, but I'm open to other candies as well. Will just see what pops up. So if you see something on your web travels do let me know :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another game that seems to run on the same hardware
    Oh! Bakyuuun or Ghoul Panic
    We saw it here on the PS but it was also released in arcades,
    Here's a pic of the arcade machine
    tumblr_mdo1nibJcs1r79b4so1_500.jpg

There is mention of time crisis running on the point blank cab.
    But I guess I'd have to come up with some solution for the foot pedal as there isn't one on the point blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I think gun bullet plays in a PB cab,I might also have a time crisis board/gun/foot pedal kit some where

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10587

• Advertisement

I think gun bullet plays in a PB cab,I might also have a time crisis board/gun/foot pedal kit some where

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10587

Must check out that Gun Bullet game.
    Time crisis would be awesome and I think it uses the exact same guns as Point blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

yep same guns

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm certain the ones I remember playing back yonder had the traditional 6 button layout. Keithgeo might remember, he played those same machines too

Yep pretty sure the ones in the bowling alley in palmerstown had standard 6 button layout for sf
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Must check out that Gun Bullet game.
    Time crisis would be awesome and I think it uses the exact same guns as Point blank.

Same guns, but i was told over on Jamma+ that i couldnt put point blank in my time crisis.. not sure the reason to be honest i cant remember.

Had a quick look at point blank, its NAMCO NB-1 HARDWARE there are no interchangeable shooters for it

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=529

Same with time crisis which is system super 22 hardware and the other games on it after football games etc...nothing shootery.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=538

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Is Gun Bullet not the jap name for Point blank?

• Advertisement

Is Gun Bullet not the jap name for Point blank?

Yep it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

keithgeo wrote: »
    Yep it is

I have a compilation of Gun Bullet titles for the PS2, from Japan, and it's all three of the Point Blank games, as well as Time Crisis for good measure.
    Something funky about the TV means that I can't really rely on my GCon working, no matter what the settings on colour and contrast :(
    Might be due a change....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a compilation of Gun Bullet titles for the PS2, from Japan, and it's all three of the Point Blank games, as well as Time Crisis for good measure.
    Something funky about the TV means that I can't really rely on my GCon working, no matter what the settings on colour and contrast :(
    Might be due a change....

You sure that's the TV?

I've tried several GCon's, it has trouble with the Saturn and DC guns as well, might swap out the telly at some point, I've had it since.... wow, I have it nearly 20 years now!
    That's longer than some of you have *hair*......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Doge wrote: »
    Great fun alright I'd say....

tumblr_m830gqXFdo1qed41xo1_500.jpg

Reminds me of this :

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Reminds me of this :

That's what its meant to be :P

I've tried several GCon's, it has trouble with the Saturn and DC guns as well, might swap out the telly at some point, I've had it since.... wow, I have it nearly 20 years now!
    That's longer than some of you have *hair*......

Is it a flat panel CRT? I hear those have issues with lightguns as the calibration is expecting to see a curvature that just isn't there.

Or... something like that anyway.

Master of the Universe

You have that exact same 29 inch flat Trini that I had don't ya Cidey?

Worked perfectly with every gCon, Justifier etc that I threw at it, so it's not down to the model of the TV. I wonder is there something interfering with it like another light source?

You have that exact same 29 inch flat Trini that I had don't ya Cidey?

Worked perfectly with every gCon, Justifier etc that I threw at it, so it's not down to the model of the TV. I wonder is there something interfering with it like another light source?

If he has his 3DO shrine behind the TV the candles will interfere with the guns maybe?

I have my shrine in another room to prevent these issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That's what its meant to be :P
    Ah come on how did you miss the chance to use this?:

1404334289652.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm strongly thinking of swapping out my Mame PC for a 60 in 1 board or something similar.
    I haven't used it in its current form in months and I think it's down to the pc being so unsatisfactory.
    With the AWSD being a trisync monitor, is there any need for the Arcadevga card and tinkering with video settings?
    Is it not easier to just use the available VGA came suppling the trisync?
    Or am I missing something?

Actually, just spotted a thread from last year on this topic, going to give it a go.

I'm strongly thinking of swapping out my Mame PC for a 60 in 1 board or something similar.
    I haven't used it in its current form in months and I think it's down to the pc being so unsatisfactory.
    With the AWSD being a trisync monitor, is there any need for the Arcadevga card and tinkering with video settings?

Actually, just spotted a thread from last year on this topic, going to give it a go.

Well on my Egret 3 which has the same screen as your AWSD I have a few things hooked up. For the PC/Hyperspin it runs at 31Hz permanently, I don’t have it set to auto switch to the proper game resolution. The reason for that is that Hyperspin looks better in 31Hz and that I got sick of constantly changing the V Size and H size settings as well as the pincushion etc when loading up a game with a different setting than the last(I play lots of different games) . I used to use the Arcade VGA but since I didn’t need the lower resolution support I changed to a more modern card.
    I do see they’ve upgraded the Arcade VGA in the last 6-12 months, but they are still running on a crappy base card(which doesn’t matter so much for MAME but other emu’s and PC Games will certainly benefit from a more powerful card).

Now of course I enjoy the wonder that is 15Hz gaming, but I leave that for when I’m using real arcade hardware and not emulation. And for the 360/Dreamcast I use the VGA cables/box with them.

It really is handy with the Egret 3/AWSD monitor having the VGA, you have a lot of easy options for hooking stuff up to it.
    That reminds me, I really need to get a modded 360 for my machine so I don’t need to swap discs.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I had a party in the house and the Egret 3 was on for I’d say 24-30 hours straight without getting powered off. I must say the CRT colours look lovely when it’s been running for a long time, seems to get better the longer you leave it.
    Or maybe it was the same and It just seemed nicer after a few small alcoholic beverages :)

Why not just purchase a second hand gaming PC that's roughly five years old from adverts? Wouldn't cost that much and it'd have enough graphical oomph to run the likes of SFIV... maybe some PC games and of course Hyperspin with mame (or whatever you want) with HSPL all dialled up etc.

Get rid of the case and just use PCB mounting screws to mount everything to a bit of plywood or MDF.

That way you won't have a PC hanging out of the machine like I saw last time.

Master of the Universe

How much do you think you'd be talking for such a second hand PC?

It's really frustrating as I used to be up on PC components/prices/performance years ago but am long out of the loop and no longer have a notion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How much do you think you'd be talking for such a second hand PC?

It's really frustrating as I used to be up on PC components/prices/performance years ago but am long out of the loop and no longer have a notion!

I've a really, really basic pc (a dinosaur by todays standards actually) in my bartop (Core2Duo 2.8Ghz), 4GB DDR2 ram, & a GPU that Damo sorted me out with (nothing special, 1GB memory I think)...& it runs Hyperspin, SF4 (all the Taito Type X2 games I've thrown at it etc), Mame etc without any issues or slowdown anywhere. You really don't need to invest much to get good results.

I wouldn't pay over €200 anyway.

As it's second hand you can pretty much pay whatever the seller is willing to accept. Bargain them down as much as you can to get a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I was getting extream lag in games with a Core2Duo and 8gb ram using hyperspin,
    I upgraded to an i3 with less ram as the board would only handle 4gb and everything plays perfectly.
    You should be able to pickup a second hand board, i3/5 and a couple GBs of ram for under €200.
    I've a slimline ATX powersupply with motherboard all mounted on a piece of plywood

Master of the Universe

Cheers guys! :)

Rather than 100% 'mame' my hori cab, I was thinking of putting a 2 slot jamma adapter in.

Use one jamma input for hori boards and the other one for a small hyperspin machine.

Best of both worlds really! Should be room for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I was getting extream lag in games with a Core2Duo and 8gb ram using hyperspin,
    I upgraded to an i3 with less ram as the board would only handle 4gb and everything plays perfectly.
    You should be able to pickup a second hand board, i3/5 and a couple GBs of ram for under €200.
    I've a slimline ATX powersupply with motherboard all mounted on a piece of plywood

What games were they? The Core2Duo in mine has never missed a beat, as I said, even right up to TTX2 stuff plays flawlessly :confused:

Rather than 100% 'mame' my hori cab, I was thinking of putting a 2 slot jamma adapter in.

Use one jamma input for hori boards and the other one for a small hyperspin machine.

Perfect solution. That's the beauty of a Jpac, the days of 'converting' cabs for use with mame are gone...it converts mame for use on a cab now :D

• Advertisement

There's no need for a 100 percent MAME cab these days. Your MAME/Hyperspin machine is just another game/PCB in the cab.

Advertisement