Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    What games were they? The Core2Duo in mine has never missed a beat, as I said, even right up to TTX2 stuff plays flawlessly :confused:

Could be down to the graphics card I'd imagine, more so than the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What games were they? The Core2Duo in mine has never missed a beat, as I said, even right up to TTX2 stuff plays flawlessly :confused:
    I was having this weird issue where the controls were lagging in every game, pacman, GNG, etc. Like once you held say left when you released it didn't register for a couple seconds, was weird, turning off all advanced transitions in HS fixed it somewhat but still after a couple of games would go back to being the same. Could have just been my hardware.
    Was real strange as if you launched the games outside of HS or using a different FE they played flawlessly, the dev(BBB) tried all different things and couldn't figure it out, eventually I got pissed off and jumped up to the i3 using the same HHD/install and everything was sorted. It may have have also been a memory leak in HS or something too, this was a couple years ago now.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    ArcadeVGA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Are you getting the full 60fps on that Core2Duo?

Star Lord wrote: »

If its MAME stuff its mostly CPU and minimal GPU usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I was having this weird issue where the controls were lagging in every game, pacman, GNG, etc. Like once you held say left when you released it didn't register for a couple seconds, was weird, turning off all advanced transitions in HS fixed it somewhat but still after a couple of games would go back to being the same. Could have just been my hardware.
    Was real strange as if you launched the games outside of HS or using a different FE they played flawlessly, the dev(BBB) tried all different things and couldn't figure it out, eventually I got pissed off and jumped up to the i3 using the same HHD/install and everything was sorted. It may have have also been a memory leak in HS or something too, this was a couple years ago now

Sounds odd alright, like something hogging resources as you said. Perhaps the i3 was simply better able to cope with the drain. Was it a barebones installation etc?
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Are you getting the full 60fps on that Core2Duo?

Yep, smooth as silk. I detest frame rate issues as they destroy the game for me so wouldn't suffer anything less than the frame rate a game is designed to run at. It's a total barebones installation, no antivirus etc...so there's not much else hogging the cpu/ram

• Advertisement

Sounds odd alright, like something hogging resources as you said. Perhaps the i3 was simply better able to cope with the drain. Was it a barebones installation etc?

Yep, smooth as silk. I detest frame rate issues as they destroy the game for me so wouldn't suffer anything less than the frame rate a game is designed to run at. It's a total barebones installation, no antivirus etc...so there's not much else hogging the cpu/ram

I suppose I actually had a Core2Duo running my Hyperspin in the cab originally and it was fine. I tend to go into overkill mode when upgrading so what I have in there now isnt really needed.

Yup, come to think of it, it was TinyXP 32bit though, and I cant remember why I wasn't using 7 64bit, think it was something to do with the model of arcadevga available at the time had no 64bit driver but that's probably changed by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll update the PC during the year.
    The one I'm using is fine, I just need a cheap videocard right now, see how it all hangs together.
    The romset is fine as it is, but Hyperspin really is starting to tick me off, I'd rather a more straightforward frontend, and have the emulators simply work instead of the hurdles I have to jump through as it is.
    I'm going to trial Maximus Arcade in the next few days and see how she goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll update the PC during the year.
    The one I'm using is fine, I just need a cheap videocard right now, see how it all hangs together.
    The romset is fine as it is, but Hyperspin really is starting to tick me off, I'd rather a more straightforward frontend, and have the emulators simply work instead of the hurdles I have to jump through as it is.
    I'm going to trial Maximus Arcade in the next few days and see how she goes.

Once Hyperspin is configured there shouldn't be any hoops to jump through...what issues are you having?

I find the setup just as easy as any of the other front ends(I used Mala before HS was around), just alot of artwork to download but once you've Gold member access all's good there.

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on powering up an arcade machine by having the power button set to "On" and just plugging in the power cable to power up and plugging out to power down?

I'm just setting up a few things for tomorrow for when the Point Blank machine arrives and it would be easier to power the PB and RRacer cabs that way.

Thoughts?

Absolutely no difference where the switch is. I do it myself mostly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I just switch mine on at the wall, for a while i had fancy remote control power sockets plugged in. But my kid dropped the remote and smashed it and that was the end of that. ill buy remote control ones again eventually.

Cheers lads, there's no switch on the wall socket on that side of the room so I'll be just plugging it in. I might just grab a small extension lead with a switch so i feel a bit better about it :)

Just whip off the socket and install one with switches!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »

sweet!
    The name is a bit odd.
    Been thinking about selling my Blast city lately.
    I'm definitely more into the pinball atm and could do with the space/$$$.
    Not really arsed advertising it tho!
    anybody interested let me know and and make an ad

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Selling the Blast? That'll be your exit from candy land won't it? :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Selling the Blast? That'll be your exit from candy land won't it? :(

Ah Im not sure,
    its one of those things.I know I'll take a big hit on it but its rarely getting used and thats one thing that drives me mad.
    I could stick it out of the way for a while I suppose and come back to it later.
    Oisin you have a blast shaped hole in your collection :D
    would make a sweet dedicated 6 button fighting cab !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

urbanledge wrote: »
    Ah Im not sure,
    its one of those things.I know I'll take a big hit on it but its rarely getting used and thats one thing that drives me mad.
    I could stick it out of the way for a while I suppose and come back to it later.
    Oisin you have a blast shaped hole in your collection :D
    would make a sweet dedicated 6 button fighting cab !

How much? Also how easy would it be to get up two flights of stairs? :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    How much? Also how easy would it be to get up two flights of stairs? :P

Do it!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Did you get rid of the chopped Naomi as well ?

I suppose it would be easy to get up stairs,
    Take the monitor out and CP off .
    Its quite compact with the CP off if I remember correctly.
    you'd want to be sure before you got it too your house tho!

Master of the Universe

Did you get rid of the chopped Naomi as well ?

Do it!!!! :pac:

I suppose it would be easy to get up stairs,
    Take the monitor out and CP off .
    Its quite compact with the CP off if I remember correctly.
    you'd want to be sure before you got it too your house tho!

I'd have to know the measurements alright.

So... what kind of price would pry it from your hands? :P

The chopped Naomi is gone a good while now.
    went to a guy in Dundalk .

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'd have to know the measurements alright.

So... what kind of price would pry it from your hands? :P

I'd say you'd need to take it apart to get it up 2 flights of stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The chopped Naomi is gone a good while now.
    went to a guy in Dundalk .

Ah well there goes that idea. :D

Most of the Candy's are all 29" tho ? Ideally I'd like something a bit smaller... 19" or 21" ish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any selling or buying of cabs, could you guys do it on the marketplace or whatever it is to be, just not on the main forum threads, thanks

• Advertisement

Eep! Quick... CHEESE IT!

Advertisement