Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah well there goes that idea. :D

Most of the Candy's are all 29" tho ? Ideally I'd like something a bit smaller... 19" or 21" ish

25 is the sweet spot between footprint/screen size/cost if you have space limitations. Sure you've seen how small my two are.

Any smaller and you're into mega money/mega discomfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sanity check please.

I'm going to buy two new official Namco full gun assembles for the point blank machine(gun, gun innards, cable/connectors etc). Now I can go for the classic pink and light blue guns, but they also have it in black.
    The black is nice, but perhaps not fitting for a point blank machine???

I cant really get two black ones as well as the pink and blue as they aren't exactly cheap for new official parts.

Black is always cool in a light gun, but maybe not on this machine.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Go Original! I got a new one myself, the light blue one. I think black would just look out of place, the cab would look weird without the original colours . people know those are the colours of the guns off namco cabs.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Go Original! I got a new one myself, the light blue one. I think black would just look out of place, the cab would look weird without the original colours . people know those are the colours of the guns off namco cabs.

Yeah, you're right of course :)
    The new gun you got, was it handy to install the gun/cable/mount to the cab?

This is what I'm getting:
    13200.jpg
    13199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Pink and blue are the colours of lightguns anything else is wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pink and blue are the colours of lightguns anything else is wrong :)

Unless you're playing Alien 3 The Gun or something like that, the pastel hues lend themselves to space marine action they do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Would people here around these parts murder me if I was giving serious thought to adding a lightgun or two to a Sega Blast City and having some kind of pedal for Time Crisis?

Sit down time crisis anyone?

*legs it*...

(Don't worry... if this sale does go ahead and I really hope it is then I'll be putting in a Hyperspin PC but I'll get one of those switcher boards so that I can switch between PC and regular arcade boards like o1s1n's machine).

Master of the Universe

Standard lightguns should always indeed be blue and pink - it just looks right. :)

Ever see Music GunGun! The whole machine/aesthetic is created around that colour scheme, looks mental.

musicgungun-cabinet.jpg?w=500

Downplayed the colours in the sequel and although the machine looks 'cooler', it's lost some of it's charm.

musicgungun-2-cabinet.jpg?w=500

Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    Would people here around these parts murder me if I was giving serious thought to adding a lightgun or two to a Sega Blast City and having some kind of pedal for Time Crisis?

Sit down time crisis anyone?

*legs it*...

(Don't worry... if this sale does go ahead and I really hope it is then I'll be putting in a Hyperspin PC but I'll get one of those switcher boards so that I can switch between PC and regular arcade boards like o1s1n's machine).

If Steve_SI can have a Karaoke setup on his Egret III then I don't think you'll be hung from the rafters for having some light guns :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    If Steve_SI can have a Karaoke setup on his Egret III then I don't think you'll be hung from the rafters for having some light guns :D

Hey hey, that's just to keep the ladies happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right of course :)
    The new gun you got, was it handy to install the gun/cable/mount to the cab?

This is what I'm getting:
    13200.jpg
    13199.jpg

Yep dead easy to install, take off the old, feed your new cable through the hole, bolt down on the underside and plug In the cable. Calibrate.

I did have a few issues with mine. The connection area of mine had been wired wrong. It was hassle to identify because I'd just got the cab, bought the board from the states and only put it all together so it was hard to tell if it was an issue with the gun. I'd bought a new gun I/O board and all before I realised the gun wasn't wired right.

Also my cab had a hole in the plastic I had to fix too, but you don't have that problem!

If and when I do actually get this machine I may need one of you to come over and help me with wiring stuff up etc so that I don't blow anything up / set myself on fire / damage the machine beyond repair.

o1s1n you live close by don't you? :D

Master of the Universe

Cool yeah no worries, I'll drop over with a few boards and a few beers :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah please don't go drilling holes in the Blast City for light guns! Jayzus. Get a second cp for it if you must.

@o1s1n - for shame condoning this sort of behaviour! :pac:

Changing CPs just to play a lightgun game?

Pass. I'm lazy. I'm drilling holes in it. I'll film it too and send it to you.

I'm nice like that.

Changing CPs just to play a lightgun game?

Pass. I'm lazy. I'm drilling holes in it. I'll film it too and send it to you.

I'm nice like that.

:pac:

Sure stick a few steering wheels on it too, pedals, probably space for flight sticks at the side... :p

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah please don't go drilling holes in the Blast City for light guns! Jayzus. Get a second cp for it if you must.

@o1s1n - for shame condoning this sort of behaviour! :pac:

:eek: no holes will be drilled on my watch!

Wait a minute, that's as bad as my 'dropping Es' comment!

:pac:

Sure stick a few steering wheels on it too, pedals, probably space for flight sticks at the side... :p

Imma build me one of these:

6w_fullset.jpg

I'll gut the CP and replace it with this.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Actually I take it back I don't need a Blast City... I'll just build one of these instead:

trashcade.jpg

:P

Actually I take it back I don't need a Blast City... I'll just build one of these instead:

trashcade.jpg

:P

Did you not already build a bartop version of that? :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Did you not already build a bartop version of that? :D:D:D

tumblr_m99va58rlX1rw9j98o1_500.gif

Pfft. Anyone wanna buy a bartop? :D

So I've sorted the point blank game and it now takes a high score. The score does not stay very long and it seems this is by design (and fixed in pb2 and 3).

Anyway, I prefer the game in normal coin play mode and not free play as free play doesn't have an attract mode on this. So, I had an idea last night to wire a tiny(very tiny) hidden button to the service button and wire it up to somewhere hidden but easily accessible on the cab so that when I press it I get a coin insert without dropping a euro in it. I'm not cheap, its just easier to tap a button :)

No modification needed on the cab to do this by the way and the button is very small and basically just a tiny black dot so it won't be seen at all.

Anyone do this at all to other cabs/games?

Master of the Universe

On the verge of posting a FrancoB voltmeter to The Last Bandit to wire in the very same thing on the jamma edge. :D

I've quite a few PCBs with no free play option, so the only way to credit up is to insert a coin/press the credit button inside the service hatch. Bit of a pain when you have people over to play games.

As my vertical cab is only really used for shmups, I'm going to link 'credit up' to one of the standard buttons (I've 4 buttons each side but only 2 get used for each player in all the games)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Do these fancy smancy cabs have a coin reject button like on the old woodie coin doors ?
    Sounds like fine place to mount a secret switch.

I'd usually do a rough job and put a arcade button sticking out of the coin return flap.
    just kinda wedged in.
    quickly undone and do cabinet mutilation

Do these fancy smancy cabs have a coin reject button like on the old woodie coin doors ?
    Sounds like fine place to mount a secret switch.

Coin reject button yes but it's not wired to anything, just pushes a lever on the coin mech. At least that's how it works on the AWSD/E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Coin reject button yes but it's not wired to anything, just pushes a lever on the coin mech. At least that's how it works on the AWSD/E3.

Stick a little tactile switch in behind it so and job done.

Master of the Universe

Stick a little tactile switch in behind it so and job done.

I like it!

I've a big spring loaded push button on the Pony's CP - that'd be really excellent if it inserted credits.

Master of the Universe

Just got Outzone for £22.50 :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toaplan-Outzone-Arcade-Jamma-Pcb-/131271286056?autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=fuDCDPhkqLQ1lveUx5HCVSuPjfM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The guy listed about 15 boards all as untested (said he doesn't have the means to test them - pinch of salt!)

Compared the PCB to a working one and there's just one thing missing - one capacitor by the sound amp.

Fingers crossed she works with no sound or a simple addition of a cap brings it back to life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

ok, so I'm meeting a guy that owns a warehouse with a few defect cabinets next week. Not sure what I'm going to find in there but been thinking about restoring one for a while. trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about these

I'm handy enough with a soldering iron and got some basic understanding of electronics -we're talking messy 555s projects here, nothing fancy :)
    Is there an arcade 101 post somewhere that could guide me though what's what , things to avoid etc...

Advertisement