Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Nice.. take some photos! If i was you id open the back of them, check if they have a monitor, check if there is a pcb. these two are the main cost in a cab.

check the quality of the wood, is it damp in the warehouse, if you have rotting wood your in trouble.

If you are getting a good price on them, dont test them there! if the lad sees them powering up you could end up with him raising the price cause "now its working" haha..

Dust etc can clean off so dont worry about that, just check the cabs for severe damage. buttons\joysticks are easily replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'll just leave this here :D

pfgaoW.jpg

So, dismantled the Point Blank tonight, cleaned the internals, wired in a button i could mount externally(but hidden) to allow me to press "Service" without opening the coin door(pressing Service adds a coin for those that don't know).
    I also took apart the front panel to see how the guns wire in and how the front comes off.
    So I'm fairly confident I know how it all goes together now.

I even managed to get the screen a lot sharper as i did notice a slight blurring in the centre. A few small turns of the focus pot and it was a hell of a lot better(awkward focus pot to get to actually).

I did have a "Oh Sh1te" moment when i had everything back together. Powered up and the left side of the screen was a rather worrying yellow colour :eek:

Left it powered off for a few mins and it was fine again.
    Now I just need those new guns to get here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    So, dismantled the Point Break tonight,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT81B2M4Hv_PCc2yd1zqPv7uK0LzC8YMwr1x-mZ29WAbNVkQSWy

o1s1n wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT81B2M4Hv_PCc2yd1zqPv7uK0LzC8YMwr1x-mZ29WAbNVkQSWy

What_You_Talkin_Bout_Willis_Picture.jpg

:)

Edit:
    Hmm, might download that movie actually and have a look. Kind of in the mood now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Love that movie

Just discovered the coin mech in the Point Break Blank takes 2 Euro, 1 Euro, 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c coins(it says it'll take 1c and 2c as well but it doesn't work). I've never come across a coin mech that allows you to use so many different coins! 1 Play is 1 Euro, but it doesn't matter what coins you put in as long as it adds up to 1 Euro.

nLPsB9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ I'm very jealous of you owning a Point Blank cabinet, adored that game. Used to play it by holding the gun with one hand and putting my other hands index finger on the trigger, could fire way faster that way for those games where you had to shoot tons of stuff in short spaces of time. We used to play house of the dead dual wielding the guns as well cos it felt badass :pac:

Picked this up on the way home today. It's better than the bedsheet i was using anyway :)
    As the cab lives in the kitchen I'm looking for ways to protect/disguise it a bit when not in use.
    It's a "Cotton Twill Dust Sheet" from a hardware shop (3.7m x 2.7m).

My mum (who has a dress shop type place) said she will make me up a nice cover for it when she gets back from hols. Not sure if I should go for a dark colour for the cover or stick with an off white one, thoughts?

8THSV9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Off white and stick a load of game characters on it to jazz it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im planning on getting the kitchen done up soon so will need to buy a few of these for dust and paint protection.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A 6 foot cab isn't going to disappear whatever you put on it, but having a cover that blends in with the wall colour would be my best guess (or close to it in colour). Assuming you don't decide to paint the wall a different colour any time soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    . Assuming you don't decide to paint the wall a different colour any time soon. :)

Paint the wall in Point Blank colours. Sorted :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A 6 foot cab isn't going to disappear whatever you put on it, but having a cover that blends in with the wall colour would be my best guess (or close to it in colour). Assuming you don't decide to paint the wall a different colour any time soon. :)

6 foot 8 :D

Yeah, its more to protect it and as you say blend it into the kitchen a bit.

Anyone know if a Hantarex Polo 14 Monitor Chassis will work on a larger screen? Like say a Hantarex 26" Polo Colour Monitor?

Anyone know if a Hantarex Polo 14 Monitor Chassis will work on a larger screen? Like say a Hantarex 26" Polo Colour Monitor?

It will but the image size will be too small for the screen & the pincushion will be all off. When I first got that Tekken 3 cab there was a 14" chassis in it & the image only filled about half the screen at best

Myrddin wrote: »
    It will but the image size will be too small for the screen & the pincushion will be all off. When I first got that Tekken 3 cab there was a 14" chassis in it & the image only filled about half the screen at best

Ahh, pity.
    Thanks

This sort of fits in the Arcade section and Raspberry Pi. But maybe best here.

So as sort of a test I set up Raspicade on the Raspberry Pi on my own arcade machine(Egret 3). Takes a little bit of configuring to get just right but I'm pretty impressed by it.
    It's pretty good for the price you pay and would work well in a home build machine or real arcade machine if it has a VGA input(or you have a way of converting the video to work on 15hz etc).

You can also completely change the look of the front end as everything is replaceable and the developer even gives some advice on that. Once setup you can hide all of the Linux side of things and just have a boot video play as soon as you power up(video also replaceable).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/raspicade/

So,

Video:
    HDMI to VGA adapter - plugged right into VGA input on the arcade monitor.
    I had to edit to config.txt file on the Pi to force proper VGA output over the HDMI port
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=1

A note on video/display settings. Scanlines are enabled for all the emulators, disable them if using a CRT screen(FTP or SSH into the PI to get to the emu folders).

Video sorted :)

Audio:
    As I used the HDMI to VGA adapter no audio can be sent over the VGA connections. Raspicade will automagically use the standard audio out jack on the Pi when it detects a VGA adapter. I plugged in the audio connection thats hooked up to my PC 2.1 setup inside the Egret 3 and it worked fine(I have 2 sets of speakers inside the machine, the original arcade speakers and the 2.1 for Hyperspin/360 etc).

Audio sorted :)

Controls:
    Raspicade uses the standard MAME control setup and also a default joystick(sidewinder). I plugged my sidewinder in and it works perfectly. It also supports keyboard encoders. Mostly they talk about the Xin-Mo 2 player encoder
    http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/arcade-usb-interface-71-p.asp
    But I only have the Jpac/Ipac so I plugged it in to see if i could get it running. Works right away so all my arcade controls are hooked up and running without any configuration as it's all standard mame controls :)

Controls sorted :)

Overclock settings:
    Raspicade is set to run overclocked anyway, but I pushed it a little harder and got better performance out of it and rock solid stability.

Raspicade settings:
    arm_freq=900
    core_freq=450
    sdram_freq=450

My Settings:
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=600
    over_voltage=6

The version of MAME Raspicade supports is the full MAME 037b5 romset. I wont talk about where you get these as it's against the rules. But the romset is 1.84GB(about 2270 files) so fits on a small SD card.
    The SNES emulator supports the usual, I used Super Famicom games in .sfc format.
    NeoGeo emulator is a little fussy but i got the proper romset and it works fine, mostly.
    FBA runs well and supports a romset from 2013, not sure the version.

I'll stick up a video later showing a couple of games running on it. But I think people will be surprised how well it runs on 34 Euro worth of hardware(Thats the price of the Raspberry Pi B+).

tl;dr
    This might be a good option for you if you want a cheap MAME setup on an arcade machine, home build or other project.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What are the outer limits of the emulation?
    With which games does the frameskip kick in, and slowdown?
    I asked before but now that you're testing!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What are the outer limits of the emulation?
    With which games does the frameskip kick in, and slowdown?
    I asked before but now that you're testing!

Well the games have to be in the romset I mentioned above but if you want me to test any particular game let me know.
    DoDonPachi runs fine, ibara isn't in the romset, Guwange runs well.

Edit:
    I've attached the gameslist.txt file the developer provides to see what games are supported in MAME.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All interesting...
    I'm going to throw a different graphics card in to my Mame PC, see if Cave shooters perk up a bit, if not I'll buy a Pi

All interesting...
    I'm going to throw a different graphics card in to my Mame PC, see if Cave shooters perk up a bit, if not I'll buy a Pi

What card is in it at the moment?

What card is in it at the moment?

Arcade VGA card, completely wasted when there's a trisync VGA monitor in my cab!

Arcade VGA card, completely wasted when there's a trisync VGA monitor in my cab!

Yeah. Get rid of that & replace it with something more worthwhile. Problem solved :)

All interesting...

Well a PC must have a bit more power than a Raspberry Pi. MAME is pretty much all CPU so a new GPU will be nice, but probably won't make a difference.

Well a PC must have a bit more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. MAME is pretty much all CPU so a new GPU will be nice, but probably won't make a difference.

That's true actually, forgot about that. What specs are the pc in your cab Cidey?

That's true actually, forgot about that. What specs are the pc in your cab Cidey?

I think the description in the box was as follows
    Old
    Heap
    Of
    Sh1te

Or similar, I'm not up on all that tech speak!

I have a more powerful PC there as well but its locking up randomly so I can't use it :(

I think the description in the box was as follows
    Old
    Heap
    Of
    Sh1te

Or similar, I'm not up on all that tech speak!

I have a more powerful PC there as well but its locking up randomly so I can't use it :(

Ah, that explains your Mame woes then. What's up with the other pc, would a format & reinstall not sort it or is it a hardware issue?

Ah, that explains your Mame woes then. What's up with the other pc, would a format & reinstall not sort it or is it a hardware issue?

I'll talk to my hardware support guy, known to you by his secret agent name Kerbdog, and try and rehabilitate it before nailing the lot to a piece of board and stick it in the cab.

A plan that sounds like, yes....

• Advertisement

I'll talk to my hardware support guy, known to you by his secret agent name Kerbdog, and try and rehabilitate it before nailing the lot to a piece of board and stick it in the cab.

A plan that sounds like, yes....

I had a pc installed on a bit of MDF in my Egret 3, but after some testing I found with the airflow etc it kept everything cooler to have it in a small pc case with a side door removed. So I ditched the custom pc and got a nice small form factor pc and upgraded the crap out of it and so far its working out very well. It's dead easy to have that installed in the corner(far right corner as you look into the main cab door) and also whatever PCB's you want in the usual spot.

Advertisement