Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Has anyone followed the guide on the AO wiki to adjust monitor colour and brightness.

Think I might give it a go when I get the tube back in the cab.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_Correctly_Set_Up_Monitor_Colours_and_Brightness

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff. Yeah that ohm switch barely makes any difference. It's the video amp on the JPAC that makes the picture nice and bright - it's emulating the 5V you get from a proper PCB which the monitor is expecting

Just looking at the wei ya manual and it explains that switch nicely.

75 ohm for a 15k or 31k game without a video amplifier.
    1k ohm with a video amplifier.

I'm guessing in the 1k ohm case, the Jpac is acting as the video amplifier.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Like you, I always had to have the brightness/contrast set higher than I wanted - not healthy for the monitor in the long run imo.

Yeah. As part of that AO wiki they turn the brightness and contrast right down initially. Brightness then goes up to half way but contrast shouldn't really increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yes
    cx2YvX.jpg

Just no really
    nVOhtg.jpg

The quality of the aluminium balltops from ArcadeworkUK is top notch by the way, just not for a candy cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bat tops on a candy? Good lord no. They look like a good quality, but like you say, not for that type cab at all

Myrddin wrote: »
    Bat tops on a candy? Good lord no. They look like a good quality, but like you say, not for that type cab at all

Yeah, the only time I usually swap out the mesh ball tops is around christmas time for the ones below. The first picture is actually whats one my credit card at the moment. I do get some looks in shops :D

PfAgKA.jpgnek1HV.jpg
    kzM25c.jpg

• Advertisement

New sticks installed in the Egret 3 and they do feel very nice indeed :)
    Nothing wrong with the old ones, just felt like freshening up the controls.

Also, anyone any idea what the story with this is:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-AMIGA-BASED-ARCADE-GAME-SYSTEM-ARCADIA-JAMMA-SETUP-COIN-OP-RETRO-GAMING-/201156909662?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item2ed5e2da5e

FGO7rs.jpg

Is it a hack job or was there an Amiga based arcade system? I looks like a hack job to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks like it might be this?

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/arcadia.html

keithgeo wrote: »
    Looks like it might be this?

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/arcadia.html

Yeah, seems like it all right. Think I'll skip this one, way too bulky and I know I'd never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just a Popeye manual ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Hyperspin/Mame build suffered greatly under the scrutiny of Mr Vestek on the Beers night.
    I hadn't properly tested it and it seems that games like Metal Slug ran just fine but stuff like SFII were stuttering all over the place.
    So, I tried running Mame without Hyperspin and whaddaUknow, it all ran pretty flawlessly.
    So, what is it about Hyperspin that should weigh so heavily on the emulator running, is it using resources while the emu is chugging away?
    More investigation needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Hyperspin/Mame build suffered greatly under the scrutiny of Mr Vestek on the Beers night.
    I hadn't properly tested it and it seems that games like Metal Slug ran just fine but stuff like SFII were stuttering all over the place.
    So, I tried running Mame without Hyperspin and whaddaUknow, it all ran pretty flawlessly.
    So, what is it about Hyperspin that should weigh so heavily on the emulator running, is it using resources while the emu is chugging away?
    More investigation needed!

It shouldn't take that many resources to be honest with you, the animations and flv videos are the only thing I could see as being a drain on the CPU.

I didn't mean it as a criticism by the way, I was going to try and fix it for you but your kid warned me that I'd suffer pain of death for even touching or rebooting the PC so I refrained.

That's the troubleshootiness inside me that instantly wants to fix issues like that.

I'd be more than willing to come out some time and give you a hand with getting it all back up to scratch if you like?

Hyperspin should be going into a sleep/pause mode when you load up an emulator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Figured it out.
    Some bunch of filtering options were enabled on Mame, now those titles run just fine.
    And on the MD emulation, seemed like there was a few dodgy options clicked there too, seems to be smooth running Sonic from now on.
    GBA emulation still seems ropey, in particular with Dotstream, slows way way down in parts, regardless of options.
    Might try some alternative emu programs, see if I get better results, and then hope Hyperspin can live with them also!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah Hyperspin HQ has a lot of filters etc enabled by default which override your usual Mame config.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Is there some trick to get Hyperlaunch to work? Any time I tinker with Hyperspin it never works so I need it to launch the emulators directly

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Is there some trick to get Hyperlaunch to work? Any time I tinker with Hyperspin it never works so I need it to launch the emulators directly
    I never use it, but setting up Hyperspin and relying on Hperlaunch
    Hyperhq might be what you're really after, no?

Is everything up to the latest version, & installed properly (ie the GIT method etc)? From memory:

Hyperspin - Frontend
    Hyper HQ - Used to add/remove systems only
    Hyperlaunch HQ - Used to configure everything.

Mame should work fine without hyperlaunch but hyperlaunch 3 does let you use it. although I was never clear on what it offered over not using it.

Yea, new install (will start a fresh again to test) - would have though that HyperLaunch when called on by Hyperspin would help reduce the footprint of Hyperspin, do some funky fade effects when opening the emus and make tea in the process :)

Yea, new install (will start a fresh again to test) - would have though that HyperLaunch when called on by Hyperspin would help reduce the footprint of Hyperspin, do some funky fade effects when opening the emus and make tea in the process :)

When you say Hyperlauch, are you referring to Hyper HQ? As that's where everything is configured, including fade effects etc

• Advertisement

When you say Hyperlauch, are you referring to Hyper HQ? As that's where everything is configured, including fade effects etc

Is that not hyperlaunchhq?

Is that not hyperlaunchhq?

You could be right yeah, I'm only going from memory here (I know there were three Hyper* programs I used to set it all up). Is hyper launch the small launcher box that just tests if the directories are all set up properly by launching the game selected outside of Hyperspin? That should work, as long as the install is done correctly as I think it just relies on directory config...

Can't think of the name of that small box but yeah, think that's just a small breakout program from hyperlaunch hq.

Mame shouldn't need hyperlaunch at all but like I said there is a script for it if needs be.

I only needed hyperlaunch 3 for the non mame stuff e.g. Naomi, atomiswave and Type x.

Anyone hear of or play a game called Steel Force? Looks like a bit of fun.

Nop, there are three executables for the Hyperspin menu system;

Hyperspin - the main executable, the program itself
    HyperHQ - the configuration program, changing the wheels etc.
    HyperLaunch - used by the Hyperspin exe to launch emulators in some controlled manner rather than running the emu exe's directly.

I can't get the HyperLaunch to launch the emulators instead of having Hyperspin just run the emulator exe's
    Can't think of the name of that small box but yeah, think that's just a small breakout program from hyperlaunch hq.

Mame shouldn't need hyperlaunch at all but like I said there is a script for it if needs be.

I only needed hyperlaunch 3 for the non mame stuff e.g. Naomi, atomiswave and Type x.

It seems that its used by default for all wheels/emulators. More research needed anywho

100% I'm not using hyperlaunch for mame.

You set this in hyperhq. Execution is set to normal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28439&d=1373177851

Nop, there are three executables for the Hyperspin menu system;

Hyperspin - the main executable, the program itself
    HyperHQ - the configuration program, changing the wheels etc.
    HyperLaunch - used by the Hyperspin exe to launch emulators in some controlled manner rather than running the emu exe's directly.

I can't get the HyperLaunch to launch the emulators instead of having Hyperspin just run the emulator exe's

It seems that its used by default for all wheels/emulators. More research needed anywho

I can show you my setup if you like, most it works like it should

100% I'm not using hyperlaunch for mame.

You set this in hyperhq. Execution is set to normal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28439&d=1373177851

Understand how not to use it, just wanted to use it :D

Understand how not to use it, just wanted to use it :D

Doh!

Right lets start from the start. Do you have hyperlaunch 3 downloaded and the folders and files placed within Hyperspin root?

When you start hyperlaunch 3 it should ask you to point to the Hyperspin and hyperhq exes as a once off

Follow this guide. Its more or less the official unofficial tutorial by a well established Hyperspin forum member.

How to set up Mame in Hyperlaunch HQ and Hyperspin:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

What do you guys use for drilling Arcade Button Holes and Joystick holes in MDF or whatever, is it a 1-1/8" spade ? Ill be drilling into 3/4 inch mdf.

Advertisement