Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A hole saw is the way to go, I picked up mine in Lidl, the right size isn't easy to get in typical hardware shops but Lidl's set has it in there, but buggered if I can remember which one it is that I was going to use, ended up changing cabs.

link
    main.jpeg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks, probably be waiting ages for that to come up again in Lidle now that i need one haha

It's a forstner bit you want ideally.
    Spades are for chumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Bits are for woosies, well trained chipmunk is all you need.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

urbanledge wrote: »
    It's a forstner bit you want ideally.
    Spades are for chumps!

I was looking at these today, are these drill bits yeh?

• Advertisement

Whatever bit type you settle on, (I've used spades on my bartops and MDF blunts them in no time).
    Make sure use a backing board when drilling or drill on both side to prevent the MDF for cracking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Forstner bits are your only man. You can get some nice kits with a nice wooden box from various eBay sellers.
    keithgeo wrote: »
    I was looking at these today, are these drill bits yeh?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ronnie has a Blast going at the moment for €595. 2 player panel and everything. Light burn.

SEGA BLAST CITY

Wiring : Jamma (001 Loom)
    Condition : good, some paintchips (check pictures)
    New 2 player panel, new Sanwa buttons/balltops
    Original Screen is in good condition, some light burn-in, only visible in 31khz white screen
    Price : 595 euro

Optional :
    - shippingcosts Europe : aprox 175 euro
    (depends on postalcode/country)
    - new stepdown converter (300 watt) : 59 euro

Links for photos :

http://www.rklok.nl/pics/Stock/Blast (1).JPG
    http://www.rklok.nl/pics/Stock/Blast (2).JPG
    http://www.rklok.nl/pics/Stock/Blast (3).JPG

never seen one with the LED screen up top for sale.

Master of the Universe

Sure it's practically a pin with that LED strip - buy it :D

• Advertisement

If anything I'll be selling!(cabs that is)
    pinball is breaking my heart atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If anything I'll be selling!(cabs that is)
    pinball is breaking my heart atm :(
    whats wrong?

ah not much really,
    That jurassic park developed a fault I can't diagnose and pissing me off a bit.
    I'm going to leave it till I get back from Japan but might have another table or 2 coming before then.
    Timings not great but I put the leg work in on a deal 2/3 months ago so I'm not going to miss it.
    I wanted to have the JP gone before they came to free up space/cash.

Edit- A extra sound pinhead from belfast has offered me a loan of a mainboard to test in it so I'm feeling a bit better about it now!
    The highs and lows of arcade and retro!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Sell it to me...... always wanted a pin !!!

Sell it to me...... always wanted a pin !!!

Come on now Mitch,
    we all you you have at least 1.
    When we gonna see some pics of your hoard?
    or even better when we coming around for a pinball party?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

pinhead

Razer-you-are-viewing-the-hellraiser-named-pinhead-64135.jpeg

I have to say I'm almost 100% pinhead now!

A loose/dodgy ribbon cable was all that's wrong with JP!

Master of the Universe

Plugged in a Raystorm PCB this evening which I haven't played in a while - doesn't boot up. Clicking sound from my monitor - oh noes!

So I rather quickly whip a Soul Edge PCB in just to make sure the cab's okay - game boots fine. Phew!

Rather puzzled, I put Raystorm back in, same issue, clicking sound. WTF is going on? Is the PCB fried? It sounds like my monitor is struggling. I look over the board just to make sure there isn't a 24k button that's been accidentally flipped. (monitor is 15k only) - googled the dip menu and played with some of the dip switches to see if I could even get into the service mode - nope.

So I go with the other troubleshooting option - try it in another cab.

Hook it up to the Pony, boot the game up - it works, perfectly!

This is really weird. Starting to think that maybe the PSU in my SNK cab is on the fritz and it's not supplying enough juice to the Raystorm PCB.

So I try out a few more PCBs in the SNK cab, they all work fine.

Put Raystorm back in again - monitor is clicking. WTF am I doing wrong?

Then the moment I discovered I'm a giant idiot.

The jamma harness was upside down.

I was connecting up the Raystorm PCB while it was outside the cabinet which was resulting in the jamma connector flipping the other way around.

Well there goes 30 minutes of my life. I shouldn't be allowed have nice things. :o

Highs and lows!

• Advertisement

Luckily no damage done then, time to glue a match into that connector !!!

Master of the Universe

I promptly reattached a FrancoB headphone adapter which has a nice big PARTS SIDE UP sticker on the side of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lucky man! Isn't that normally catastrophic for the pcb?

Lucky there, I've fried my GNG doing that years ago, and pretty sure someone done that with my original BB, I now have a lil plastic key stuck in there, only thing is I need to use adapters for PCBs without cuts for the key.

A loose/dodgy ribbon cable was all that's wrong with JP!

First thing I checked/fixed with my pinball when restoring it was all ribbons and then all solder joints on the pins for the ribbons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought Super Hexagon for 2.49 on Humble and then threw it onto to Mame PC and it works a treat on the AWSD screen.
    The controls for left and right at least are working on the stick, thanks to the Jpac, but for selecting and entering I'm still stuck with having to pull out the keyboard.
    Is there a way to run a script to remap those selections to the Jpac selected inputs, so the game can be fully controlled by the CP without needing the keyboard at all?
    The only thing that won't I hope is the name entry, but that can be easily skipped.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just bought Super Hexagon for 2.49 on Humble and then threw it onto to Mame PC and it works a treat on the AWSD screen.
    The controls for left and right at least are working on the stick, thanks to the Jpac, but for selecting and entering I'm still stuck with having to pull out the keyboard.
    Is there a way to run a script to remap those selections to the Jpac selected inputs, so the game can be fully controlled by the CP without needing the keyboard at all?
    The only thing that won't I hope is the name entry, but that can be easily skipped.

You should be able to use xpadder to do that. Just map the 'Enter' or 'Esc' key to whatever buttons on the JPac.

You can also have a button you need to hold down as a secondary in order to not interfere with other functions.

MrVestek wrote: »
    You should be able to use xpadder to do that. Just map the 'Enter' or 'Esc' key to whatever buttons on the JPac.

You can also have a button you need to hold down as a secondary in order to not interfere with other functions.

But will that not bugger everything up, can I have xpadder run specifically with Super Hexagon?

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Lucky man! Isn't that normally catastrophic for the pcb?

Yeah you could potentially fry the board! :eek:

I think I read before that the ground pins are placed on each end of the jamma pinout to avoid damaging if you insert it the wrong way around.

However when it's reversed, you're still sending the voltage meant to power the board into the controller pins instead. Which doesn't sound healthy.

It would seem Raystorm is made of strong stuff anyway :D

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But will that not bugger everything up, can I have xpadder run specifically with Super Hexagon?

If you set up a profile in xpadder for that specific game then yes. You can call xpadder to run when Hyperspin launches and with the profile set up correctly it'll ignore everything until it sees that you're running Super Hexagon.

If I remember correctly you can use xpadder to set up a control profile for Super Hexagon and then in the HyperlaunchHQ entry for this can set use xpadder to true, then you can add the xpadder profile and xpadder launch location under the controls option.

Something like that... I'm remembering stuff off of the top of my head here.

Advertisement