Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

Best thing to do is check your voltages with a MM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems to be working again.
    Don't know what happened there.
    Just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Re: Super Hexagon on the cab
    There is a settings file with some controller settings within but I have no idea what does what and there seems to be no information out there for the appropriate editing of same.
    I may just copy the original and do some experimentation.
    XPadder is not happy as I have no controllers attached for assignment to key strokes, I am trying to assign buttons presses on the cab, that the Jpac already translates into keystokes onto alternative keystrokes, so the button on cab that the PC thinks is J, I need it to register as something else, for Super Hexagon's sake.
    I will look for another keymapper that might do the trick, something simple.

Edit: Autohotkey might do the trick, I'll have a try later.
    Super Hexagon looks and sounds gorgeous on the cab BTW

Ment to ask,
    A friend is trying to set up a mame PC via a Jpac with arcade VGA
    having problems getting any text in windows to focus at all.
    any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Squint a bit more :)

Sorry not a clue apart from dropping the resolution a bit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

urbanledge wrote: »
    Ment to ask,
    A friend is trying to set up a mame PC via a Jpac with arcade VGA
    having problems getting any text in windows to focus at all.
    any advice?

Hooked up to arcade monitor?
    15k or 31k?
    What resolution?

• Advertisement

15k anyway.
    I'm guessing it's at 600x400

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seems to be working again.
    Don't know what happened there.
    Just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Re: Super Hexagon on the cab
    There is a settings file with some controller settings within but I have no idea what does what and there seems to be no information out there for the appropriate editing of same.
    I may just copy the original and do some experimentation.
    XPadder is not happy as I have no controllers attached for assignment to key strokes, I am trying to assign buttons presses on the cab, that the Jpac already translates into keystokes onto alternative keystrokes, so the button on cab that the PC thinks is J, I need it to register as something else, for Super Hexagon's sake.
    I will look for another keymapper that might do the trick, something simple.

Edit: Autohotkey might do the trick, I'll have a try later.
    Super Hexagon looks and sounds gorgeous on the cab BTW

What keyboard keys are the buttons on the cab mapped to?

*edit*

Actually this may be easier to take to PM. Send me a PM I'd like to try and get this working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

urbanledge wrote: »
    15k anyway.
    I'm guessing it's at 600x400

Try 640*480 30hz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ok,
    I got Autohotkeys installed on the Mame PC, a small little program I'm sure you're all familiar with, allowing you to do all sort of things, but all I needed to learn was key mapping and rebinding.
    So,
    a few googles later...

I found no one fiddling with the Super Hexagon controls, but some did with Super Meat Boy.
    From there it was just a matter of adjusting the text to suit my needs,
    So.

After installing Autohotkeys I got made a new script file on the desktop, called it Super Hexagon for convenience.
    Then I edited it with the following additions,

#IfWinActive, Super Hexagon
    1::Space
    v::Escape

This means that when I hit start the game thinks I'm pressing the spacebar, which is it's select button, and my current escape from Hyperspin button, the hidden button 8 becomes the escape button in Super Hexagon as well.
    The first line tells Autohotkeys to run the script when it detects Super Hexagon running, and only running it then.

All the other controls are mapped to the cursor keys, which are also mapped to the cabinet stick, so no changes needed there.

I also went into the Super Hexagon data file where there is a settings doc, once opened I set the game to Arcade Mode via Notepad and all the levels are open from the get go and an arcade style high score table is available.

I'm pretty pleased with how it has worked out.
    Now I have to figure how to get some art/video/font stuff in there to make the Super Hexagon option on the Emulator wheel look more inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lads, any idea what the issue I might be having is? (no, the jamma harness is not upside down this time :D)

I got a second 6 in 1 jamma pcb. Loaded it with 6 games, they all display grand. Success! - or maybe not.

Went to play one of them and insert coin wont fecking work.

Tried inserting coins via p1 and p2 start buttons on freeplay, the service credit button and the coin slot, nothing. :(

What makes it more annoying is that I put it into my other cab and it works perfectly, the games all coin up and run. So it's something to do with my SNK cab being silly.

I've a feeling it's a grounding issue with the 6 in 1 (seems to be the way with Chinese PCBs)

Edit - yeah, after further investigation, looks like I need to get a ground jumper soldered into the edge. Nothing is ever straightforward, is it?? :D

• Advertisement

Well, it'd be no fun if cab ownership was as easy as owning a PS3!
    Have to keep things spicy in the relationship, with random things happening to keep us on our toes!

Master of the Universe

I think I found the solution to this. Pin 14 on this 6 in 1 yolk doesn't seem to actually go anywhere. Looks like if you wire it to one of the ground pins it should bring the controls back.

Good set of videos on how to mod these boards here; (you can see he has this ground wire in place in the vid)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

In Greece for the week with the missus where it p1ssed rain all day every day.
    Luckily I found me a local arcade:)
    It has house of the dead 4,sega rally 2,a few bike racers, sega ford racing, aliens gun game and a pinball-attack from mars.
    The sega rally 2 was the full sitdown hydraulic cab...what a game!
    I even fixed the button on the pinny as it was fecked...massive job:)

On another note I spotted this dude in their everyday, hunched down by the coin boxes all the time while "playing"
    On closer inspection he had a screwdriver and was jimmying them open and looting them!!
    He was in there every day at it..don't know how the place didn't cop it.
    He walked out of the place like John Wayne every night...laden down with 50 cents.it was hilarious to watch
    I had to tell the bar staff in the end...poor folk thinking the cabs were non earners and would have probably scrapped them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Those jamma 6in1 switchers, is there a way to switch games using key presses rather than using the remote control?
    I know the 2 in 1 has a hard wired button as well as the wireless remote, I've seen this thing called a NoMote-6 but haven't seen anywhere selling them

Master of the Universe

You'd need to mod it yourself. I did see an interesting one where a guy had wired it up to work with a multi direction analog nubbing thing to select the games.

Due to the way it works (each game is powered off until it's selcted) you can't have a solution where it cycles through games one at a time. (like an 'up' and 'down' button) as you'd be powering each game on and off to get through them which obviously wouldn't be good.

So you need a way of selecting the exact one you want immediately.

The remote works perfect for this. The one big down side to it though is that all those remotes are on the same frequency. So if you have two of them running at the same time, switching one will switch the other! (and issue I'm going to run into shortly :D)

I read about something called a NoMote-6 a while ago, but don't see anywhere selling them

Master of the Universe

Cheers, I hadn't heard of that. Looks to be a one man project.

The PDF on the instructions for it is hosted here, maybe the admin of that site is the one who created it?

www.projectvb.com

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cheers, I hadn't heard of that. Looks to be a one man project.

The PDF on the instructions for it is hosted here, maybe the admin of that site is the one who created it?

www.projectvb.com

How evil would it be to pick up a remote and then switch games when somebody was in the middle of a game?

Another question... how many bruises you think one would walk away with? :D

Master of the Universe

Took a few shots the other night when I was trying to get 6 boards in the hori cab.

Boards going in this time;

The Punisher (boot)
    Gamshara
    Souledge
    Vendetta
    Raystorm
    AVP (on an extension harness)

This is by far the most boards I've plugged directly in (rather than using extension harnesses). You seriously need to be careful when it comes to size/weight. The above mentioned boards are all very small/light so they're happy enough to sit vertical like this.

Here's how it looked inside the cab. I decided to test it out before putting the final PCB in (AVP goes in the last connector) - only then did I realize about the controller/grounding issue! :(

IMG_20140906_240102193_zpsabc69b3b.jpg

Bit of testing outside. The biggest and heaviest board is the Punisher boot on the right. As it's a €30 bootleg I'm going ahead and adding it like this. If it was any other legit board then I wouldn't recommend it. It should be okay, but there's enough weight there that it could damage the jamma edge if you weren't careful.

IMG_20140906_242650644_zpse999700a.jpg

Something worth noting if you pick one up, each slot has a little key thing to stop you inserting boards backwards.

They pop out easily enough if you have any bootlegs that don't have the key slot present.

IMG_20140906_240149790_zps88a62665.jpg

• Advertisement

54140613.jpg

Master of the Universe

Was waiting for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Vendetta is a brilliant game.
    Got it in Kilkenny on a school tour approx 1992 for the C64.
    On of the few games I cleared on that system.
    http://youtu.be/kVH97OSW3ho

Is it the same game ?

Master of the Universe

No, not that one I'm afraid! ;)

It's a side scrolling Konami beat em up. One of my favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I really want an astro city..

tumblr_n9k25yA10s1swzrleo1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That'd be a New Astro City, nicer than the Astro City imo, although they're prone to yellowing around the speakers (nothing that can't be fixed ofc). I love the colour scheme and artwork on the control panels, really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hmm, bit of greenery around the candy looks well. Might get a plant and hope the dog doesn't take a liking to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

How much would they normally go for in Ireland ?
    I'd assume there's not a lot over here.

Master of the Universe

If you want to get a NAC, you'd need to import one from Ronnie in the Netherlands.

So approx €600 for the cab and €200 on top for shipping to your door.

• Advertisement

+70 for a stepdown!

Advertisement