Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, usually about a week. We're almost on 5 days now, so I'll give it a couple more before I start running around the place screaming with worry :pac:

Oh god, don't remind me of the last time. Imagine it was the same delivery man this time :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We'll be over to play test it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

It depends on how high a standard you want.
    Are you going to get a pro paint job and metal control panel?art etc

The end result will only be worth the sum of the parts if you ever wanted to sell.
    Buying one might be the better option in the long run.Think they are about 1500e?

You wouldnt be long racking up 1000 in parts and materials

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=128876.0

Something similar to this, I just need pricing on the wood really, I don't think I've ever bought wood :pac:.
    Not too bothered about paint, can just give it a few coats of spraypaint.
    No need for a fancy metal CP either, this is just something to throw in the garage.

EDIT: also i've a larger monitor I could throw in ,so it'll look a bit nicer than that

22mm mdf sheets are about 30e + vat I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Where does one get black vinyl adhesive?
    Here? Price?

http://www.hardwareireland.ie/product/Self-Adhesive-Contact-Paper-1M-or-15M-Roll-Assorted-Design-772/

Black Matt, Black Gloss or Blackboard? Hmmm decisions

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Had a quick look at the Pony monitor this evening. The neck board was really loose. Tightened it up, thought I may have solved it but alas, still nothing. No neck glow at all.

Double checked everything running to the chassis but didn't see anything out of place. Has to be something gone on the chassis itself.

Next step, off to grantspain I think. Want to see if I can get that sorted this weekend. Sick of looking at it sitting there not working! The Raiden music when I booted it up a minute ago made it sting that bit more!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the Pony monitor this evening. The neck board was really loose. Tightened it up, thought I may have solved it but alas, still nothing. No neck glow at all.

Double checked everything running to the chassis but didn't see anything out of place. Has to be something gone on the chassis itself.

Next step, off to grantspain I think. Want to see if I can get that sorted this weekend. Sick of looking at it sitting there not working! The Raiden music when I booted it up a minute ago made it sting that bit more!

Ah that sucks.

What will we do when grant retires :O

So will you send the monitor and chassis?

Master of the Universe

Just the chassis, it's not too big so postage shouldn't be too bad. Originally I was going to get him to return it via Parcel Motel, not sure with all the recent stories on here though!

Just the chassis, it's not too big so postage shouldn't be too bad. Originally I was going to get him to return it via Parcel Motel, not sure with all the recent stories on here though!

Yeah the fragile stories dont bode well, mainly from Steve though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I just got my chassis back from Grant. He said the shipping prices to Ireland and NI were more or less the same. Went with the direct shipping to my house in the end. Mine came via interlink in the UK and then dpd here. 3 working days.

I paid £16 which had £75 cover. I could have paid £20 for £250 cover.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a chassis and neck board on the way from grant myself. Should be in Ireland tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get to eventually play my Ridge Racer cab properly :) Been putting off the repair for a long time now but decided to bite the bullet a week or so ago.

We are screwed when he stops fixing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

He's been going a long time, I remember talking to him back when I got my first cab, must be over 10 years now, I'd say about 2002/3. A lot of people rely on him at this stage

I wonder how old he is.
    Must be making a small fortune.
    I'd say he generally has them diagnosed in seconds.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/lifestyle/20150127/neon-retro-arcade-set-to-open-friday-in-pasadena

Retro arcades seem to be opening up all over the place lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

http://www.sgvtribune.com/lifestyle/20150127/neon-retro-arcade-set-to-open-friday-in-pasadena

Retro arceades seem to be opening up all over the place lately
    When's our turn?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

airmax87 wrote: »
    When's our turn?

Oh, there's a few multiple cab owners hereabouts.
    If we all pooled our resources we'd have a decent arcade I'd say.
    I don't trust that it wouldn't be knocked off though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive a half decent arcade in my kitchen! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Ive a half decent arcade in my kitchen! ;)

Half decent? It'd put most 'arcades' these days to shame!

Mines not too bad either. 4pins and a donkey Kong!
    All I need is the bar part

• Advertisement

My baby rooms got a pinball, a cabinet and about 20PCBs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've a half decent arcade in keithgeo's kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I ain't got squat :(

I see mame158 is out. The updates are coming very regularly. Not sure how much benefit there is to updating.

However I'm using groovymame and Calamity does seem to that these new releases as opportunities to refine groovymame and switchres.

It should automatically update the application and your backup roms at this stage. Pain in the ass

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, there's a few multiple cab owners hereabouts.
    If we all pooled our resources we'd have a decent arcade I'd say.
    I don't trust that it wouldn't be knocked off though.

I wonder how many cabs we all have between us now? A census is needed! :D

eddhorse wrote: »
    It should automatically update the application and your backup roms at this stage. Pain in the ass

Yeah. I have the hang of clrmame pro now so it's painless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Is there any advantage in updating to the newest version of MAME if the current version runs everything fine as is?

(Haven't gotten around to using MAME yet. Does much change between versions?)

I wonder how many cabs we all have between us now? A census is needed! :D

Time for a roll call thread/sticky

• Advertisement

Is there any advantage in updating to the newest version of MAME if the current version runs everything fine as is?

(Haven't gotten around to using MAME yet. Does much change between versions?)

If you have a really old set I'd say, probably no harm. In the latest versions cave games are natively supported.

For me though, I update because groovymame gets updated. This is a heavily modified version of mame designed for use on arcade monitors.
    It has core functionality that isn't part of regular mame.

Advertisement