Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I received a call from them (PM) recently, the sender has omitted the PMID on the parcel so they opened it and had to call everyone on their system with the same name and play guess the parcel...

Not easy to remember them all when you've several packages en-route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

^^^ That happened me before they rang and asked if I could name the contents of a package which they obviously had opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

safetyboy wrote: »
    ^^^ That happened me before they rang and asked if I could name the contents of a package which they obviously had opened.

You wouldn't want to have ordered a 12 pack of fleshlights or anything!!
    :)

safetyboy wrote: »
    been offered a few bob for my Ketsui PCB, oh the temptations at this time of year. Would reg post be the best option if I was to sell or Parcel Motel?

gotta be DHL or something.
    even if its 20/30e it'd be worth it on a game of that value.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My "Parcel Motel" isnt even a locker setup, its a plastic container behind the desk in the garage. the locker was taken out of the garage last year for some reason.

everytime you collect a parcel the person on in the shop lifts each parcel out checking for your name and f*cks them on the floor until they find yours. literally drops them on the floor from waist height. if you had something valuable it would be in a million pieces. so annoying.

• Advertisement

My "Parcel Motel" isnt even a locker setup, its a plastic container behind the desk in the garage. the locker was taken out of the garage last year for some reason.

everytime you collect a parcel the person on in the shop lifts each parcel out checking for your name and f*cks them on the floor until they find yours. literally drops them on the floor from waist height. if you had something valuable it would be in a million pieces. so annoying.

I got a parcel delivered to that motel in your area last Xmas. I was wandering around like an fool looking for the motel locker. I knew it was inside the garage but thought it would be something other than a box behind the desk. I figured it out when I could see the firebox.com box with my name, number and pmotel details on it :)

Still, i didnt like the fact everyone could see all my info(probably all day as it was delivered there in the morning and I grabbed it at 6-7pm!).

Oh yeh, its brutal and its even worse now since the tablet broke 3 months ago, you no long get a 4 digit code to collect the parcel, the text just says "0" on it. you just walk in and say your name. thats it, no ID, no nothing, just say your name and they go through the pile. I could easily look at the parcels over the desk and see a name on it and just say yeh thats me. haha..

Oh yeh, its brutal and its even worse now since the tablet broke 3 months ago, you no long get a 4 digit code to collect the parcel, the text just says "0" on it. you just walk in and say your name. thats it, no ID, no nothing, just say your name and they go through the pile. I could easily look at the parcels over the desk and see a name on it and just say yeh thats me. haha..

So I better repack that Millennium Falcon shaped package I was sending down to my bro so :D

haha ill be back in a minute... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Best part of the whole film.

...atleast leisureplex still has wangan midnight

Fuw6Tw1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

airmax87 wrote: »
    Best part of the whole film.

...atleast leisureplex still has wangan midnight

Fuw6Tw1.png

What film?

eddhorse wrote: »
    What film?

Accelerator, its 100x worse than I remembered, don't bother :pac:

Point noted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The Irish film?
    It's awful:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Mainly playing current gen stuff recently (Starbound & Ori and the Blind Forest) but had some friends visiting today and one of them spotted the candy hiding under it's covers. I hadn't turned it on since the summer maybe so had my fingers crossed as I powered it on, she worked fine (as always). Played some Raiden DX and ESP Ra. De., reminded me why I love candies and vert shmups. He was smitten too. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Raiden DX, truly the most excellent of Shmups.
    It's like they decided to create perfection and just did it, stood back and were pleased.

I can name all the candy cabs I see in the background of an anime for split seconds now

My Makey Makey Go's arrive today. They were a Kickstarter I backed a while ago.
    Testing at the moment but I should be able to use one inside the candy cab as a very hidden button for whatever I want/need. Basically you can turn anything that will conduct even the smallest amount electricity into a keyboard press or mouse click. So maybe I'll use an easily reached screw or rivet on the candy as an exit in MAME or something similar.

I'm using a potato as a mouse left click in the below pic :)

gAFQODh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Very interesting idea especially for cabs as I don't want to replace a lock under the control panel with a push switch as is often done.

Very interesting idea especially for cabs as I don't want to replace a lock under the control panel with a push switch as is often done.

I set it up on the candy today. Works fine and I've one of the rivets on the cpanel set as the "Escape" button for MAME.
    I already have a couple of buttons underneath the cpanel so not sure what I'll actually end up using it as.

• Advertisement

Great work ! Nicely done

Check out this TMNT, the joysticks are deadly but freaky.
    Moar pics in the link.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/SYiCm/

FpL4RWV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I like everything about that other than the trackball and spinner, just seems that the CP is only made tolerable by the nice artwork and the manhole-cover-dust-covers and the balltops.

I do like that they have 4 buttons for the left/right most players for the 4p games, and 6 buttons for the two main players to cover SF etc...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Star Lord wrote: »
    I like everything about that other than the trackball and spinner, just seems that the CP is only made tolerable by the nice artwork and the manhole-cover-dust-covers and the balltops.

I do like that they have 4 buttons for the left/right most players for the 4p games, and 6 buttons for the two main players to cover SF etc...

It's the artwork on the cp that would bother me, way too busy. The stick and buttons should always stand out. And the widescreen LCD is a no no. Respect to the effort put into it though. Long as he's happy that's all that matters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

10/10 for effort and the side art works so well! Some skill in the making of that one

Same points and Andrew though for me as a turn off

10/10 for effort and the side art works so well! Some skill in the making of that one

Same points and Andrew though for me as a turn off

Seems to know what he is doing at least, heres a row of them he was doing http://m.imgur.com/a/AWNPw

Nice and tidy and i like the internal lights coming on when CP or front door is opened.

Sorry lads,
    mame of shame for me.
    A on craftsman ship.loses points for his use of batons tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

16:9 LCD and Ironing board control panel puts them in the junk pile for me too I'm afraid, they are not arcade machines.

16:9 LCD and Ironing board control panel puts them in the junk pile for me too I'm afraid, they are not arcade machines.

That does look like an ironing board alright haha

• Advertisement

SD Card Laserdisc Replacement Drive ‘Dexter’ Released For Dragon’s Lair & Similar Arcade Machines

WarrenO_DexterRev2.jpg
    http://www.retrocollect.com/News/sd-card-laserdisc-replacement-drive-dexter-released-for-dragons-lair-a-similar-arcade-machines.html
    Many of our favourites gaming memories are from several decades ago, however, it’s safe to say that some of the hardware we once enjoyed has a limited shelf life. With this in mind talented gamers have begun creating aftermarket products such as flash cartridges and adaptors to ensure we can still get our fix even today. The latest release to preserve our history is a complete SD card replacement for the Laserdisc drives found in arcade machines such as Dragon’s Lair.

As impressive as Dragon’s Lair was at the time, the machine itself was just one giant video player that showed you different cutscenes on the game’s embedded Laserdisc, depending on which buttons you pressed. While we’re not trying to belittle the revolutionary game, it’s worth noting that like all optical media the Laserdisc format has already begun suffering from degradation known as Laser Rot - the build up of metal layer oxydation on the game discs. This in turn produces various artifacting on the visuals, which only worsen over time.

Dexter aims to remedy this issue by providing a direct replacement to the Laserdisc player on such arcade machines, allowing gamers in ownership of these cabinets to keep gaming. In order to get Dexter going, compatible Laserdisc files need to be dropped onto an SD card, and the device then plugs into the port where the player once connected. As of speaking the device supports around 40 different titles including the likes of Cobra Command, Space Ace, Mad Dog McCree, and Space Ace, whilst titles such as Road Avenger are being adapted to be compatible.

Needless to say this is a fantastic addition to the retro gaming world and those lucky enough to own one of these historic machines. Dexter costs a massive $359.99, however, given the bleak future of this medium, this is an investment any Laserdisc coin-op owner should consider.

Main Dexter Website :
    http://www.laserdisc-replacement.com/

List of compatible games here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a3ypRu2bNnCWGcB8TovYGD6Xa8IWde32lad7KFACGYQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Advertisement