Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Certainly has a healthy profit margin on it !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might be a little late, but I've contacted Tyke on Jamma+ to see if he/she wants to sell me the AWSD control panel.... no answer so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Might be a little late, but I've contacted Tyke on Jamma+ to see if he/she wants to sell me the AWSD control panel.... no answer so far :(

I bought one off Mike (tyke) few months ago on ukvac. Only arrived this week and it has some water damage. Prob same one on J+. U prob looked out not getting this one... its peeling at the sides too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

kevin2me wrote: »
    I bought one off Mike (tyke) few months ago on ukvac. Only arrived this week and it has some water damage. Prob same one on J+. U prob looked out not getting this one... its peeling at the sides too.

Kevin. I might be able to help you out. I'll drop you a pm later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

kevin2me wrote: »

Hey, if you are replacing it, keep me in mind and I'll buy it from you.
    I need me some twin sticks to play Robotron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Might of interest to some here. I got one of those smart electricity meters the other day(Electric Ireland). It gives you a real time view of exactly how much power you're using, how much it costs, kWh, all that stuff.

Anyway, been testing lots of different devices to see how much they use and how much it costs. So a candy cab(Egret 3), fully booted up to hyperspin using a small form factor PC as the guts costs about 2.5-2.7 cent an hour. A candy running a pcb (Neo Geo MVS with Metal Slug) costs about 2.4-2.8 cent an hour(it fluctuates).

And to put that in some sort of context, turning on the immersion uses about 1 euro an hour, running a 3d printer is about 2-3 cents an hour. I've also got a nice modern electric heater in one of the rooms here(a Dimplex Studio G 2.5 KW Ceramic Tower Heater), so it's pretty efficient. That uses 40-45 cents an hour when on full blast.

Anyway, thought the costs of running an arcade machine might be helpful to some.

Put this together over the last few evenings.
    This was revision 2 .
    The side art needs and a few other little bits but Im super happy!

IMG_2010.JPGIMG_2011.JPG

Added a few leds for effect!
    IMG_2012.JPG

It stands nearly 300mm high and has acrylic for the glass/marquee.
    I'm going to try sell a few as ready to assemble kits.
    All you'll need is hot glue,prit stick ,sellotape and a scissors. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Deadly, didnt notice how small it was until i saw the table it was on :)

Still doesn't answer the question to where you need that double coin door for.

Also that cab will fit in your safe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Might of interest to some here. I got one of those smart electricity meters the other day(Electric Ireland). It gives you a real time view of exactly how much power you're using, how much it costs, kWh, all that stuff.

Anyway, been testing lots of different devices to see how much they use and how much it costs. So a candy cab(Egret 3), fully booted up to hyperspin using a small form factor PC as the guts costs about 2.5-2.7 cent an hour. A candy running a pcb (Neo Geo MVS with Metal Slug) costs about 2.4-2.8 cent an hour(it fluctuates).

And to put that in some sort of context, turning on the immersion uses about 1 euro an hour, running a 3d printer is about 2-3 cents an hour. I've also got a nice modern electric heater in one of the rooms here(a Dimplex Studio G 2.5 KW Ceramic Tower Heater), so it's pretty efficient. That uses 40-45 cents an hour when on full blast.

Anyway, thought the costs of running an arcade machine might be helpful to some.

That's useful info to have actually. Any links to these meters you speak of? Are they fixed to the wall or some sort of handheld jobbie you can go around and test against whatever device?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's useful info to have actually. Any links to these meters you speak of? Are they fixed to the wall or some sort of handheld jobbie you can go around and test against whatever device?

It's actually something the electrical company has to install for you. Its hooked directly up to meter box and then they install an additional box with a sim card etc beside your fuse box inside the house. Then you have a little wireless thing that looks like a sat nav to check all the usage, stats, cost per day and all that stuff.

• Advertisement

You can buy your own meter and install it.
    A company called owl make them.
    It's caleed a CT (current transformer) meter,it doesn't need to be directly connected but clamped around your main live wire.
    Exactly like a clamp on amp meter.because that's what it is!

It's caleed a CT (current transformer) meter,it doesn't need to be directly connected but clamped around your main live wire.

Yeah, but this setup was nice and handy to get installed, connected to my billing account, and free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hey, if you are replacing it, keep me in mind and I'll buy it from you. I need me some twin sticks to play Robotron!

Hey of course, Ill see what I end up doing with CP, I will get buttons populated which will hide most of the nastiness the main panel, its really just the sides that just not acceptable on a Mindy Mint. Luckily I have new 2 * Sanwa JLF left over from noami cp restore. Thanks TechnoFreak, ill PM you back there now.

Steve thats so cool about cost per cab. I was always wondering about that for when I get all 11 cabs in 1 run up and running. 2-3 cents an hour * 11 = 33 cents an hour for my own arcade :) Sounds cheap now!

Some pics of the my first Candy! First of many I hope. Been wanting one ever since I saw your E3 Steve! :) Got a Pandora4 and JNX adapter, ill Add Mame Eventually. All it really needs is a new Bulb. Always reminds me of Ironmans Helmet the way it opens!
    20151117_193737.jpg20160102_183715.jpg20160108_003716.jpg20151114_175009.jpg

Picked up my 5th Naomi (Biker One) , yes I know I have a problem :), Monitor dead in this too. Upstairs I moved Noamis Together 2 but monitor in last one I got blew after turned it on.
    20151231_141957.jpg

You are right you have a problem :)

I like the iron man :)

So finally got around to getting the Astro City power supply 12v fixed.
    Went for the bolt on standard supply.

F32E2EA8-B142-4ECF-8FBD-DB70AEB80481_zpsy3crj5ec.jpg

EFA3E06C-2CF1-4886-A1A3-3B936F051995_zpse8lmxmk1.jpg

Colours look good anyways as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gorgeous!

Nice!
    Is that a neoledgend box I spy?

Nice!

Nice!

Yeah they sorted the power supply.
    Ya nosey fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just had a browse of the neo legend customized arcade options

Jesus Christ the prices!!!

Quite saucy alright, least they fixed the power supply, wasnt much in the way of options.

Oh yeah, they know their stuff no doubt. And if they can get that price for cabs well done. Id say they are near perfection in terms of build quality...Would have to be for that price.

Even the basic classic cab would get a fully shopped pin for that price

I popped into Neolegends retail store a year or two ago. Some very tasty bits in there, but all priced quite high.
    Was nice to have a walk around a store with actual arcade parts ans machines for sale :)

Sega Astro City screws on the sides are mofos. Broke a screwdriver....

940AE342-4064-48AA-8DFB-1609AE858E13_zpsmbuvmbdo.jpg

Also Durty monitor.

E6DD7545-BCB7-4448-9250-2A210E81090A_zps5u72tnxd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

That's a dirty monitor alright. Mine was similar. Took ages to clean up but you will get here.

Careful not to remove the aquadag on the back of the crt where the anode cap connects

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

eddhorse wrote: »
    Sega Astro City screws on the sides are mofos. Broke a screwdriver....

940AE342-4064-48AA-8DFB-1609AE858E13_zpsmbuvmbdo.jpg

Also Durty monitor.

E6DD7545-BCB7-4448-9250-2A210E81090A_zps5u72tnxd.jpg

I bet you wish yer wife was that filthy! :pac: ;)

https://youtu.be/SQTvOcu3dO4

TNT video of him getting a Irish digdug cabinet, I never knew that cabs were made here

• Advertisement

All the euro ones were.
    Must be a import.
    The USA cabs always had better art!

Advertisement