Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My Pinball machine glass exploded in my hands two weeks ago! it gave me the kick in the arse i needed to go to the glazers and get my Space Invaders Cocktail glass done up. So i measured it up and got it done and it turned out great.

Pinball explosion aftermath..

File_000.jpeg

Glass, new corner clips too i bought about 3 years ago at this stage.

File_000.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

I still need to respray the legs with chrome paint and seal them this time with varnish.. which i never thought of before. ive to get a couple of locks too just to fill two holes on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great ! Really finishes it off well.

That glass explosion is weird, happened to me on an oven in an appartment in christ church years ago. Couldnt figure out where the sound of hailstones were coming from and then the oven door shattered everywhere, scared the bejesus out of me.

What happened the pin glass?

I took it off the pinball was holding it in my hands. It just exploded from the bottom up. Didn't even tap it off anything. My wife thought it was hilarious. I was just after being playing it and the glass was warm. I dunno if that did it. Took two hours to clean up. Went everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That's so wierd about the glass....we're you practicing your opera singing range while holding it maybe? :p

Only do that in the shower. ;)

• Advertisement

Finally got around to finishing the second of the poker cabs, went for Pacland themed cab this time as I love the look of the cab, will never have one and wanted to try out the game with buttons as originally intended. Plus it saves me swapping monitor orientation everytime.
    Still waiting on the monitor but its alive for now. Not much art available online so got the marquee from muddy and had to use what I could find online to create the rest myself, using the colour scheme of the original and it turned out really well in the end. The control panel is connected to a dsub so I can swap for another one with joystick further down the line if needed but ill stick with the buttons for the moment. Original cab was a nourat poker picked up from MontgomeryClift, exact same as the G'n'G one and they look great paired together.

8yyw4x.jpg

i2ixko.jpg

30cx16o.jpg

j16a76.jpg

Love it ! Looks great , pac land is a favourite of mine from when I was a kid. In mosney and skerries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks incredible, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Powered up the Point Blank and Ridge Racer cabs for the first time today since the house move. The power connector on the Point Blank seems to have come loose during the move but should be easily fixed(still works, just loose now).

The Ridge Racer is the same as it has been for a long time now. I power it on and can hear the fans etc and the marquee lights up(nothing on screen and no sounds), i leave it powered up for 30-40 mins and then power off and back on and it boots and works as expected.
    The game board looks fine, no dodgy caps or solder joints that I can see.

I'm guessing the PSU is on the way out? Easy to replace? Can I use a modern sort of PSU as the one inside the cab is massive and not the quietest?

Any ideas guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's been a long standing issue with the Ridge Racer cab, I advertised it as such too...though it never took 40 mins to turn on, maybe it's gotten worse over the years? I suspected the psu at the time myself

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's been a long standing issue with the Ridge Racer cab, I advertised it as such too...though it never took 40 mins to turn on, maybe it's gotten worse over the years? I suspected the psu at the time myself

Yeah it went away for a while. But the last year or so it's been like this.
    It's a big old box of a psu as well so I've not seen one around for sale.

Awesome cab none the less, myself and baba spent a while playing it earlier.
    Well, she was a co-driver :) The garage is heated so it's actually a nice spot to go and play for a few hours.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Yeah it went away for a while. But the last year or so it's been like this.
    It's a big old box of a psu as well so I've not seen one around for sale.

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think it's a standard jamma psu. That said, you could probably use a standard one, you might have to splice it though

019278df194be12bd54789c9d0234c81.jpg

Pricey risk. Any pics of your power supply and i will trawl the net.
    Worth posting on Arcade Otaku as well.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Pricey risk. Any pics of your power supply and i will trawl the net.
    Worth posting on Arcade Otaku as well.

No decent pics for some reason. Here's a pic I took when I got it first and was documenting the insides. Not sure why I didn't get any good snaps of the PSU.
    Anyway, its a fairly large metal box about 12-13 inches long ands maybe 8 inches tall and wide :)

w8eftFp.jpg

Finally got around to finishing the second of the poker cabs, went for Pacland themed cab this time as I love the look of the cab, will never have one and wanted to try out the game with buttons as originally intended. Plus it saves me swapping monitor orientation everytime.
    Still waiting on the monitor but its alive for now. Not much art available online so got the marquee from muddy and had to use what I could find online to create the rest myself, using the colour scheme of the original and it turned out really well in the end. The control panel is connected to a dsub so I can swap for another one with joystick further down the line if needed but ill stick with the buttons for the moment. Original cab was a nourat poker picked up from MontgomeryClift, exact same as the G'n'G one and they look great paired together.

8yyw4x.jpg

i2ixko.jpg

30cx16o.jpg

j16a76.jpg
    Nice job !! Only say this on my instagram feed this morning : $100 he paid, damn america.
    https://instagram.com/p/BENC7hFpHO-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

No decent pics for some reason. Here's a pic I took when I got it first and was documenting the insides. Not sure why I didn't get any good snaps of the PSU.
    Anyway, its a fairly large metal box about 12-13 inches long ands maybe 8 inches tall and wide :)

Decent ATX supply should work, just a case of figuring out out to hook it up to the cabs loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

[Gorgeous PacLand pics]

I've never seen PacLand without a joystick before... never knew that was how it was meant to look! You've done a lovely job on it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

wow that pacland.. bravo!!! inspiration for my poker..

• Advertisement

Quick question.
    I have my Point Blank and Ridge Racer cabs in the garage in the new house. It’s a heated garage in the sense that the boiler for the heating is in there and when that’s on the shed is nice and warm, but not too hot(so if heating the house I'm heating the shed).

Should I also install an dehumidifier or something like that as well?
    Anything else I should look out for with the cabs? I've never had cabs in a garage before, always in the house so want to make sure I do my best to keep them alive :)

With the weather getting warmer now, they should be fine. In the colder weather/winter though, could you bring them into the house temporarily? The cold weather, and especially the dampness, really don't do the cabs any good. Leaving a dehumidified on for the whole winter probably isn't feasible... That or consider insulating/air tightening the garage as much as possible?

Myrddin wrote: »
    With the weather getting warmer now, they should be fine. In the colder weather/winter though, could you bring them into the house temporarily? The cold weather, and especially the dampness, really don't do the cabs any good. Leaving a dehumidified on for the whole winter probably isn't feasible... That or consider insulating/air tightening the garage as much as possible?

I think in the winter they will be staying there(the candy is of course house trained and will always be inside :)). The garage is the usual concrete type attached to a house, has good airflow(double doors on one end and single door on other). I think i will probably do a little work on the double doors as I can see some light around the top and bottom so maybe those long thin sandbag things along the bottom and and something along to top as well.

The garage seems decent and well built. It just needs a little work to funk it up a little. And I'm quite happy its hooked into the security system of the house as I was worried about that(most places seem not to bother). I did install a NEST cam in there anyway as its nice to keep an eye on things and get alerts etc.

I guess I will just have to live there a while and see how it goes. I might invest in a solar powered dehumidifier. They arent as powerful, but might just help things a bit(if needed at all as I dont see and damp, yet).

I got a super heavy pair of curtains off dungdeal and hung them over the double doors in my garage.
    Also expanding foam around the frame.
    made a massive difference.

I got a super heavy pair of curtains off dungdeal and hung them over the double doors in my garage.
    Also expanding foam around the frame.
    made a massive difference.

Hmm, yeah that expanding foam might be handy.

heres mine atm

3-1-2.jpg

heres mine atm

That looks almost great. To be honest the Donkey Kong really takes away from the look.
    I'll do you a favour and buy it from you, you know, to help a brother out :pac:

Its a hell of a lot smaller in real life by the way!
    the room that is,not the donkey kong.
    Im getting buried in it

Its a hell of a lot smaller in real life by the way!
    the room that is,not the donkey kong.
    Im getting buried in it

So, the solution is to make space. Get rid of that Donkey Kong and you'll be grand :)
    Seriously though, nice looking man cave.

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    I painted the ceiling back a few weeks ago,
    gave the place a nice seedy arcade feel!

I just wish I had room to put another pin in the row of 3.

Advertisement