Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see Ronnie has the Aero tables up for sale, 1495 ex shipping!
    Seems bits are missing but he's working on reproduction replacements.
    So, how many can I put you all down for? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I see Ronnie has the Aero tables up for sale, 1495 ex shipping!
    Seems bits are missing but he's working on reproduction replacements.
    So, how many can I put you all down for? :pac:

Anyone with repro parts on their candy knows the secret shame it brings.
    Took me a year or so to break away from said shame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

hhumm Tempting. Anyone on here have one?
    They seem like a bit of Holy Grail if they so uncommon. They look fantastic too.
    Only issue is that price and having no idea what your buying as no pictures and 12 of them, so be could be spotless and others needing work?

Still tempted tough :) Jamma Cocktail to replace Woody Jamma Cab :)

These are from 1988 :) Crazy they look so modern!
    http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Aero_Table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

at a guess more than likely missing the marquee thing over the speaker pods and possibly the speaker pod as well ,only a guess as these are parts that have been missing from aero tables over the years

hmm ,I also remember seeing some without control panel assemblies before ,so maybe this is what he is getting reproduced

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is a quote of the email from Ronnie
    Sega Aero Tables update

I get a lot of mail with questions about the Sega Aerotables, so an Update :

I have 12 of them in stock
    I tested 2 of them and they are working with burnfree screen
    The control panel holder, control panel, speaker holder with illumination are missing
    I am working on prices for reproductions, should have those prices end of this week

Price in this condition is 1495 euro ex shipping.

So that price seems to be in an as is condition

• Advertisement

I played one before in Tokyo.
    They look cool as **** but they don't play well.
    Also I bet if I had one stuff would start piling up on top of it!but that would be any cocktail.
    Still want one ...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Crazy money for one with so many important parts missing. They look great, can't say I'd be tempted to buy one though, I doubt they're very comfortable to actually play on for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

They look cool but are a pain to play for long periods , you'll end up a hunchback and a broke one .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How long do you guys usually sit in front of your cabs in one session? I'd say I probably average about 15-20 minutes.

Couldn't imagine using one or hori games, but 20 minutes in front of a vertical would be grand.

Although I do remember someone saying that due to the screens being so large compared to a Western cocktail, you get some curvature issues when trying to see the top half of a vertical screen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Would anyone have an egret 2 or egret 3 2L12B panel with a layout like the one below?

Would anyone strip the panel down and take some measurements or else entrust it to me via parcel motel to let me do it? I'd pay costs obviously.

I have a small project in mind but dimensions of this panel type don't see to be on the net.

Open to ideas and alternatives.

Thanks for reading!

sell-e3p1.jpg

• Advertisement

Would anyone have an egret 2 or egret 3 2L12B panel with a layout like the one below?

Would anyone strip the panel down and take some measurements or else entrust it to me via parcel motel to let me do it? I'd pay costs obviously.

I have a small project in mind but dimensions of this panel type don't see to be on the net.

Thanks for reading!

sell-e3p1.jpg

FFS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thanks for reading!

sell-e3p1.jpg

That's the exact one I've got in my E3. €1000 euro for me to take it out of the cab and measure. Free if you want me to measure it while installed :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    FFS!!

Why? I know it's a big request! Trying to get a panel fabricated and I need some dimensions.

Why? I know it's a big request! Trying to get a panel fabricated and I need some dimensions.

I know, I be joking....
    Plus, if you are fabricating one, sure how easy would it be to make two!
    One for a certain Category Mod hereabouts.... :o

Master of the Universe

I can hear Retr0's newest GnG excuse on the horizon

'It was the two player panel! it puts player 1 too far to the left and then you can't see the screen properly - you wouldn't get this on an original Capcom machine!'

Steve X2 wrote: »
    That's the exact one I've got in my E3. €1000 euro for me to take it out of the cab and measure. Free if you want me to measure it while installed :)

Do you not have a second one in the attic somewhere :pac:

Spotted in the kids playroom in Druids Glen hotel today. Running icade. Joysticks in sh1te.

IMAG1412_zpsnrdc8imv.jpg

Finally got a chance to make a start stripping the outrun cabaret I picked up a while back on adverts, good news is it still had an outrun pcb in there which is powering up but cant tell beyond that. Bad news is everything else! The cab is in a pretty bad state, lots of rung screws, rusted bolts, fag burns, lumps of plastic missing, chunks of wood missing, dirt, muck, piss, the full works!!. Soldered back on the video connector on the chassis as it had fallen off but no neck glow, checked voltages/fuses and all seems good so pulled the chassis out and its with Grant at the moment.

Also sent the PCB to mark at retroclinic for a once over and the enhanced roms installed providing the board is good/repairable. I noticed when I picked it up that the wheel seemed to be upside down, after drilling out the ridiculously huge bolts someone had deemed an appropriate manner of mounting the dash I discovered the entire steering mech had been replaced at some stage with one from a taito cab, solonoid from the original was still in place but nothing for it to hit so no thumper. On the plus side the steering itself seems fine and springs back as it should so it'll probably be left as is only turned around the correct way.

Gear stick was also missing the spring so that and a start button and a few other parts have been ordered from arcadefixit. In the meantime I've stripped and bleached the cab, and began reassembling the power tray and cleaning as I go along. This one is going to take some serious work and time but i'am almost finished my current project and have a shed going up soon so hopefully will get some work done on it. Cant touch the paint on the side without it coming off and its pretty bad so will have to be sorted. Contacted a guy in the states who reproduces vinyl sideart but at $250 that wont be happening, muddy says his working on it at the moment though so for now I've ordered matte black vinyl from thisoldgame and will overlay vinyl sideart when he gets it done or maybe try vector it myself.

Currently it almost stripped and I'll be getting the metalwork sandblasted and powdercoated in a few weeks, in the meantime ill be filling and sanding the cabinet. Will try fiberglass and p-38/dolphin glaze to repair the dash plastics as much as possible, ive gotten the color code from a guy on J+ and will get a paint sorted for it. The marquee was just a supersprint one that had been chopped in half to replace the original... oh the marquee light works too :)

Some pics as it currently stands:

2yovcky.jpg

2e5s485.jpg

20t3voy.jpg

Held in place with these...

6z5xu1.jpg

Cigarette burns :(

25057hi.jpg

But hey its Outrun :)

zvwshj.jpg

opmyqd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great stuff Mozie, gonna be a lot of work by the sounds of it !
    Look forward to seeing more.

Super jealous of that project.
    I'm going to express my interest if you ever want to sell it or loan it to me.......!!!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Exciting to see a dedicated cab being refurbished like this, especially something with such a nice Sega seal on it :) - good luck!

whats that hiding behind the outrun Mozie ;)

whats that hiding behind the outrun Mozie ;)

Haha well spotted, current project mate, waiting on a final couple of bits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

is it being left as Initial d or converting ? great game :cool:

Being left, too much gone into it and yes it is a great game, particularly suitable for a home game :)

Good spot, Initial D?
    You cant hide anything with all the Sherlocks around.

Astro playing blind, dammit.
    May get the multimeter out !!

Get ready....

Spent the last few weeks with the outrun mini, lots of screws and bolt deliveries because not one bolt or screw taken out will be going back in. Metal plates at the bottom of the cab were horrendous, while some screws fell out others wouldn't budge, i ended up getting a set of screw extractors for these and finally the bottom plates popped off only to reveal that both corners didn't exist anymore and one of the side had broken off completely and was only being held in by the screws of the metal side piece. The wood here and at the bottom of the rear of the cab was in pretty poor shape overall and it was obvious it had stood in water at some stage. I grinded out and treated the rotted wood and used a combination of epoxy, gorilla glue and a recessed metal strap to reattach the broken piece and filled it out with p38/dolphin glaze.

QosjbAvm.jpg

The corners were also rebuilt using epoxy/p38 and knifing putty combo along with a multitude of other holes and missing chunks throughout the cab. Then came the sanding, as the weather hasnt been great it took a few days getting it done whenever a dry spell hit, I took the opportunity to sand and spray the power supply plate, the speaker and fan grills, the metal pcb holder on the back door and the service panel as I could do these in the house, these were caked in rust but eventually I got through them with the sander. I also repainted the rear of the cab and a few times with a matte black and cleaned the rear monitor cover.

DfrNt51m.jpg

YVS5kb0m.jpg

tIqYpwkm.jpg

The stenciled art is really nice of these but this one was pretty dinged up and beyond repair so I decided to apply a thick matte vinyl to the outside rather than spraying as I've used this before with success and it will make applying sideart easy should it turn up in future. The major problem with vinyl is it will pick up any tiny spec of dust underneath though so after extensive sanding I henried the cab, wiped it off with alcohol a few times, microfibre cloth and applied the vinyl. The finish turned out really well once the prep work is done, I could never have gotten a similar finish with paint without the proper tools and workspace, after cutting the grooves in the corners with a dremel, a little more sanding and some spraying the cab was ready for t-moulding. After the last cab I restored I swore I'd never be without a rubber mallet again and thought I'd finally get to use but as is always the case I didn't need to at all this time. The slot was a nice tight fit for the moulding and it went on with minimal fuss. I fitted the moulding first checking out any problem areas and nicked the tight corners where necessary and widened the slot in some parts before using the glue gun on areas where it was a bit loose.

g6Kc6vum.jpg

FJ18kAtm.jpg

Kx1QNMHm.jpg

Also noticed this months retrogamer was an outrun speacial so decided to pick it up, not sure the last time I bought a magazine?
    srsECS3m.jpg

I also cut rubber matting I sourced locally for the footwell, I opted for the grey ribbed matting to match the flyer as I think it adds some color to the bottom of the cab, I used contact adhesive to stick it down and let it cure over night. The little wood block for the accelerator pedal was hanging off and held on with a long staple so I removed it and counter sunk a bolt and washer, filled, sanded, painted it. I used a holesaw on the bottom of the cab so I could put a nut and washer on the underside and this should prevent it from moving again. This will be covered with the bottom plate when it returns from powdercoating. I replaced the fan on the back which was no longer working but its probably not necessary, I also put a new led lighting strip in to replace the old fluorescent one.

tMlTKU3m.jpg
    puDzhJil.jpg
    McOhxRBl.jpg
    iXW0gxwl.jpg
    nrY3OQml.jpg

In the meantime the chassis had come back from repair as had the game board. Grant had replaced a load of caps, load resistor and bridge rectifier, Mark at retroclinic had repaired the audio on the board, fixed a math error in the road and installed the enhanced roms for me. These allow for attract mode to run in freeplay and music to be previewed in the music select screen, high scores to be saved to backup ram and a few other fixes. In the meantime I had pulled out a spare 19" monitor and done some work on it myself in case a spare was ever needed and I'd been putting it off for a while, I had the picture looking pretty good but couldn't get the screen to stop wobbling, I thought the problem was probably beyond me so I put it to one side and put the chassis I had repaired back on the tube. Picture was lovely here but again it was still wobbling? seemed to be a sync issue but I couldn't have the same issue with 2 monitors surely, one of which had just been repaired?!? After a few hours of hairpulling I finally determined it was down to a dodgy transformer on the power tray. I don;t know why but this transformer made the screen wobble even from a distance, I replaced the transformer with another sega one and the wobble was thankfully gone on both monitors! Least I now have a spare if ever needed.

After replacing the transformer and cleaning the power tray I hooked up the pcb for test spin on the floor and was delighted to see the game boot up, but there was no sound, speakers were completely dead so I guessed the amp was at fault. The amp requires 12v so after checking voltages at the amp I discovered it was only getting a couple of volts from the big 22000uf capacitor. I cleaned the connections but still nothing, after poking around with the multimeter I discovered the connections of the cap were bad so I cleaned it off, resoldered the wires and bang the audio was back. I then played a couple of games on the floor and had a listen to magical sound shower!! unfortunately the problem reappeared the next day and the capacitor again only seemed to be received a couple of volts from the transformer. At this stage I decided to get rid of the worn old power supply and replace it with a new switcher, this had the added benefit of being able to wire up the 12v required by the amp directly from the switcher and bypass the capacitor entirely. The original power supply only outputs 5v. Sound was back! I replaced the speakers with ones suggested over on J+

lm1esuXl.jpg

Next up was the Shifter, it was in a pretty bad state, spring had gone so it was loose and hung in high gear, lots of rust on the stick and artwork damaged beyond repair. I dissasembled it entirely, dealing with a roll pin that would not shift and cleaned it up. I sanded the shaft and the metal shifter plate and drew up replacement artwork and got it printed and applied. The springs and ball bearings for the shifter had arrived in the meantime and made the stick snap back into place as it should and another job is done. Getting there now...

4bvEzYtm.jpg

Next up I'am going to start reassembling the cab while waiting for the metal work, accelerator pedal is also off being welded as the hinge was snapped off and I'am still on the lookout for a monitor shroud and an outrun wheel. I also need to start repairing the control panel cover and fill the holes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

This is some amazing restoration skills ! I can't believe that's the same cab from that guys garage !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Top class work, looks fantastic !!

Advertisement