Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    The FrancoB one is pretty thick, I'd say it's about 4-5mm. It's so thick that I use it as a standing clock rather than a wall mounted one.

Will check this evening when I get in from work :)

I was thinking it was pretty thick from the photos i've seen. Is the front clear or smoky?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He tried out quite a few different perspex types with pics over on the AO thread when he was building the first one and by far the best (and one he went with) had a bit of a smoked tint to it alright.

It takes away a bit of the glare and makes it almost look like the image is floating in the perspex.

Few old piccys here if you want a look (can get an idea of the thickness in the second picture)

DSC_0346_zpszsow08jl.jpg

DSC_0344_zpsv1uby3hq.jpg

RunDMD3_zpsboti8gze.jpg

You'd be better off going with the other fella so.
    All i have is 3mm clear atm and dont plan on getting anything else in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

There is a dude in Ballymount who sells acrylic cheap enough/sheet, its just getting it cut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Frontend emulator PC's for arcade machines are a pain in the hole, there i said it !!

Why are they so complicated, Hyperspin for instance, you get there in the end with a tutorial but they are so convoluted !! All turorials are missing one vital part due to difference in version or similar. Then when you do have it setup you are scared to even touch it or update it.

Mala seems handier, GameEx isnt that bad, havent dabbled too much with the Retropies and variants.

Just got GroovyArcade on linux setup. I do like the fact that there is no Windows mess but now i have an issue where some games have different resolutions so off to the google machine.

Ed's late night 2c rant.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

PCBs never give these problems, just sayin' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    PCBs never give these problems, just sayin' :pac:

Ha ha !!

I agree, unfortunately i cant afford a shinobi pcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

eddhorse wrote: »
    I agree, unfortunately i cant afford a shinobi pcb.

Check out http://attractmode.org/ for linux/rasp-pi

Check out http://attractmode.org/ for linux/rasp-pi

Currently using that on Groovy Arcade/ Linux.
    Will try and add those themes thanks.

Might look a the RPi3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

so with outrun's anniversary I've been thinking about getting an Outrun once again. Only problem is I don't know where to look or what to expect pricewise. I'm thinking they're not common and pretty expensive.
    Anywhere you'd recommend I look ?

BGOllie wrote: »
    so with outrun's anniversary I've been thinking about getting an Outrun once again. Only problem is I don't know where to look or what to expect pricewise. I'm thinking they're not common and pretty expensive.

UK is your best bet if you dont want to wait!
    Shipping is not as hard as it used to be as long as the seller can strap it to a pallet.

I shipped that star trek pin to the UK for 100e with Transland.
    Organised it all online too.

Check on UKVac or Jamma+ I'd say is the best bet. Stand-ups are probably a lot more common and cheaper than the full deluxe versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

thanks , I'll have a lool. I'm very ignorant about a lot of the arcade technical setup and market really.
    found this link, is this a good price, seller ?
    http://www.findarcademachines.com/sega-upright-arcade-machine-p-1180.html?osCsid=pexxkrcu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At those prices, couldn't you just build one instead?
    Make it a multi racer cab too.
    You're handy construction and woodwork.
    I'd say a more versatile replica might be the way to go.

If you have the chance to nab a real Outrun upright at regular human prices jump on it!
    I've a Ridge Racer upright and there's nothing quite like having the real deal to play on :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

thanks , I'll have a lool. I'm very ignorant about a lot of the arcade technical setup and market really.
    found this link, is this a good price, seller ?
    http://www.findarcademachines.com/sega-upright-arcade-machine-p-1180.html?osCsid=pexxkrcu

I'd stay away from dedicated sites like that personally. Reckon they'd be more expensive and not sure how up-to-date they are (has a YT link on the front page but hasn't uploaded a video in two years?). I'd prefer to buy from folks on UKVac or Jamma+ as Bandit says - folks who know their stuff and you can check their seller's history/feedback on the site. Try ArcadeOtaku also, although they might deal more in candies when it comes to cabs.

As Steve says, if you can afford it then go original.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    If you have the chance to nab a real Outrun upright at regular human prices jump on it!
    I've a Ridge Racer upright and theirs nothing quite like having the real deal to play on :)

No, no,no . The only way to play Ridge Racer is with a Jogcon controller :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Get out.
    Leave your A&R membership card in the nearest shredder.
    Our thugs re-education officers will be along in a moment to enlighten you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Jog-on :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Anyone know if that tekken 3 cab is still in superdome in palmerstown?

Damn, was hoping the Point Blank 2 would just drop in to my PB1 cab. But I'm missing a cable and its apparently non standard :(

This is the cable I need(my board is identical)
    THZ4yFX.jpg

I'm guessing I also need whatever cables goes here.
    KpiOTT2.jpg

Few pics of my Point Blank PCB.
    xA26iFU.jpg
    C7M2LGa.jpg

Point Blank 2 PCB and I/O's on top of PB1
    V1PS5xQ.jpg

Here's a few full res pics in case anyone ever needs them in the future:
    http://i.imgur.com/C3xmmuM.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/zmCknO2.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/N1MTfyU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

As per the other thread, I'm looking to buy a cab on adverts.
    So this is the picture I got sent. Anyone more knowledgeable able to confirm it looks OK?
    Thanks in advance.

Master of the Universe

Really clean looking chassis, almost too clean (!)I wonder is it one of those aftermarket generic ones you see listed on ebay?

Good spot oisin,
    its a wei ya

-Edit
    Im not sure now tbh

get more pics

Another edit
    awads came with an wei-ya monitor according to AO wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Cheers!

Anywhere specific I should get photos of?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers!

Anywhere specific I should get photos of?

You could get pictures of the PSU which sits on the floor of the cab. Seller mentioned it doens't need a step-down so presumably the stock PSU has been replaced/converted to plug straight into an Irish wall socket. That's no bad thing as AWSD stock PSU's can act up for some folk - some just replace them with something like this anyway.

Maybe inside the control panel also and the jamma harness/loom.

Static pictures of the internals won't tell you much unless it's empty or something off the wall like that.

To be honest the best pictures to get are of the screen in action. Check for screen burn, check for geometry issues - is the picture bent/warped around the edges. Small degrees of this is fine as you have pots to fine tune the image. Ultimately it's best to see the cab working in person.

Master of the Universe

Good spot oisin,
    its a wei ya

-Edit
    Im not sure now tbh

get more pics

Another edit
    awads came with an wei-ya monitor according to AO wiki

I didn't even realise it was an AWSD :D Should have sussed it with the white metal interior!

Yeah they came with a Wei Ya Trisync as standard. So it's the same as those replacement universal chassis you get on ebay, but in this case it's stock with the cab anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Yeah, as Oisin said, that's the stock wei ya chassis that comes with atomiswaves. Looks to be as expected.

Young Andrew has given some good advice on other things to look for.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm looking at the AWSD monitor manual right now, and that's the original one alright.

Advertisement