Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone see the MVS cart? Theres even an AES version. Bit of a saucy price tag.

27-thickbox_default.jpg

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product&id_lang=1

Review here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

BGOllie wrote: »
    I just don't like candy cabs in general. I find them soulless.
    can't beat a nice wood-grained, spider-filled, marquee-adorned piece of kit.

as an aside, when did they come to the west first ? I just don't remember them being around when I was a kid or teen .
    Is it just a byproduct of the everything-japan-is-awesome craze that seems to be dominating and re-writing the history of video games in europe these days ?

I remember playing the royal rumble naomi game somewhere in donegal in the early 2000s, candy and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    I just don't like candy cabs in general. I find them soulless.
    can't beat a nice wood-grained, spider-filled, marquee-adorned piece of kit.

as an aside, when did they come to the west first ? I just don't remember them being around when I was a kid or teen .
    Is it just a byproduct of the everything-japan-is-awesome craze that seems to be dominating and re-writing the history of video games in europe these days ?

Candy cabs are amazing pieces of kit. There's such a rich history to their design and manufacture.

It's very difficult to go back to small monitor chipboard generic western wood cabs when you've tinkered around with full metal Japanese cabs. They're just superior in every way in my opinion.

And no, it's not 'everything from Japan is cool', they're just better made with much nicer monitors :pac:

Master of the Universe

Just to go one further, there's an amazing element with candy cabs where they're actually made to order and branded by the games manufacturers of the Japanese games youre playing.

I find it more enjoyable to play an snk game on a Japanese snk cabinet rather than a wooden electrocoin westernised version for our market.

It's almost like playing a console game on an original console versus a playing it on a clone.

There's definitely a nostalgia with woods cabs here but if you're interested in original hardware it's just so much more enjoyable to have exactly what Sega/capcom etc intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

To add to this , I've always hated some of the **** wooden cabs we had ,most are ones that where crapily converted from poker machines (mozies conversions are example of what should be done )or the likes or not really fit for purpose or maybe my dislike came because some of the wood grains remind of the crap decor we had at home. lol
    We had a good selection of cabs here in limerick, outside of the dedicated ones ,in the savoy they had a good selection of silverline and electrocoin cabs with sf and football champ in the electrocoin duets :aw: The Vic had better again (ive never found reference to what the cabs where and didnt pay enough of attention at the time ,too busy spending my money
    These where plain red cabs square with seats and 25" monitors ,all universals nice and uniform and really good for a gaming session but quiet big iirc . stix and superbowl place i wont comment on ! kilkee was even worse again for cabs

Im with o1s1n here ,candys do the universal thing better than nearly all other cabinets and believe me the nanao screen are so much nicer than any hantarex' /wg.

some good old dedicated are hard beat in some forms though. anyway we'll still get asked the same questions no matter what it is and its always the same with any cab ive gotten "what game does it play ":pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    anyway we'll still get asked the same questions no matter what it is and its always the same with any cab ive gotten "what game does it play ":pac:

If I had a quid for every time I'd been asked that question...

I usually reply with 'everything' :pac:

on the hunt for a my first candy now, was ready to buy mozie's

Master of the Universe

airmax87 wrote: »
    on the hunt for a my first candy now, was ready to buy mozie's

Oooh, anything in particular you're looking for? Ronnie's been sending out a few emails lately with extra stock, you on his mailing list?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oooh, anything in particular you're looking for? Ronnie's been sending out a few emails lately with extra stock, you on his mailing list?

I am not, I'd honestly like anything with a 2p panel, banged up or not.

Master of the Universe

Newsletter sub down the bottom of the page here. http://www.rklok.com/

Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

• Advertisement

what about the astros on done deal?

2 people could split them for a grand i bet

always forget about donedeal since i started using adverts, could be a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

you buy em and after Christmas when the funds build back up we'll buy them from you at cost:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Link? A quick search of 'arcade cabinet' yielded nowt. :)

I could be letting mine go in the near year. :eek:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Link? A quick search of 'arcade cabinet' yielded nowt. :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/arcade-games/13783926

100% interested in the splits, would nearly pay full whack for one

Master of the Universe

Ah here!

bad side of XMas for me but they seem like a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Calm down man!
    Give me first refusal!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah here!
    Calm down man!
    Give me first refusal!

:pac:

Ah wouldn't be for a little while yet, bad time of year to be selling stuff it seems anyway. But I have my eye on something else that would need funding (non-arcade related).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Why don't you just buy the onefor 600- 650, for a candy in Ireland is about as good as it gets. if you where getting it from Ronnie you are looking at 850+ all in

In other candy news.
    Moved mine from sitting room, disassembled, carefully mashed into car and reassembled in the office canteen :)

18C8F3E1-0387-40B1-A876-CBACAF72F4EF_zps6cytyluc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

O1s1n is an expert at carefully mashing arcade related items, not so much the putting back together though....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

eddhorse wrote: »
    In other candy news.
    Moved mine from sitting room, disassembled, carefully mashed into car and reassembled in the office canteen :)

18C8F3E1-0387-40B1-A876-CBACAF72F4EF_zps6cytyluc.jpg

Right beside the casting couch.

Niiiiice. ;-)

MrVestek wrote: »
    Right beside the casting couch.

Niiiiice. ;-)

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that. Too long by A&R standards. :D
    The lads taking a break from 'working'. :pac:

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that. Too long by A&R standards. :D
    The lads taking a break from 'working'. :pac:

There's been a lot of breaks alright, and i wouldnt go near that couch :)
    SF2 is getting a lot of action

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice new hat!
    Pimoroni are selling a new Picade hat, turning a vanilla RP3 into an arcade machine.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/new-products/products/picade-hat

It has inputs for a single stick and 10 buttons, not including a soft power button.
    It also includes a handy mono audio out jack too.

They also have a kit with everything you need to get started, I wonder if this will drive down the prices of Bartops everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nice new hat!
    Pimoroni are selling a new Picade hat, turning a vanilla RP3 into an arcade machine.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/new-products/products/picade-hat

It has inputs for a single stick and 10 buttons, not including a soft power button.
    It also includes a handy mono audio out jack too.

They also have a kit with everything you need to get started, I wonder if this will drive down the prices of Bartops everywhere?

That's a very neat little board actually, and not a bad price on it. The ipac/jpac work out of the box on the Pi, but not at this price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Nope, it'll just increase the amount of p1sspoor bartops being offered for sale I suspect.

• Advertisement

Still wont do 15khz though meh.

Might try a bartop as i have so much spare stuff.

Advertisement