Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Didn't know Louis Theroux was a gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skerries wrote: »
    Didn't know Louis Theroux was a gamer

"When Louie Met... Tomohiro Nishikado"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Does anyone have any ideas for something(or some material) to stick under heavy arcade machines on wood floors to stop them destroying the place when I have to move them around to fix, swap out parts/games etc?

I'm moving a few more machines inside the new house rather than have then out in a shed. It's got dark wood floors where they will go and i can only imagine the state of them if I'm constantly moving the Ridge Racer or Point Blank cabs around. The Egret 3 is no problem as its small and has wheels etc.

I'd rather not stick a bit of carpet under them. Anyone have a smart/clean fix that they are using themselves? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas for something(or some material) to stick under heavy arcade machines on wood floors to stop them destroying the place when I have to move them around to fix, swap out parts/games etc?

I'm moving a few more machines inside the new house rather than have then out in a shed. It's got dark wood floors where they will go and i can only imagine the state of them if I'm constantly moving the Ridge Racer or Point Blank cabs around. The Egret 3 is no problem as its small and has wheels etc.

I'd rather not stick a bit of carpet under them. Anyone have a smart/clean fix that they are using themselves? :)

Would the soft side of Velcro do the job? You can get it in self adhesive strips

Would the soft side of Velcro do the job? You can get it in self adhesive strips

Hmm, not a bad idea actually. I have a load of industrial Velcro somewhere as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I bought these small cup things in dealz a couple of years ago that have Velcro underneath them. Hey are big enough for cab wheels to fit in the cup then the Velcro just slides around the floors.

Not sure if they still do them but I’ve seem them in loads of places. They are made for furniture to protect your floors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

A plastic mat called 'KOLON'.

I'm trying my hardest not to make a rude joke.

I bought these small cup things in dealz a couple of years ago that have Velcro underneath them. Hey are big enough for cab wheels to fit in the cup then the Velcro just slides around the floors.

Not sure if they still do them but I’ve seem them in loads of places. They are made for furniture to protect your floors.

I'll have a look for them as I'm always in Dealz in Bray looking for laser-able things.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Hmm, its called Kolon and has a pic of a full Irish brekkie on the bottom of the page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Which are the best concave arcade buttons to use out there?
    I see you can order the plungers along with separate cherry switches and the happ plungers seem to be the cheapest.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/categories/arcade-buttons/standard-arcade-buttons.html?sort=bestselling&page=1

Any real difference between the Happ, Happ Ultimate and IL PSH buttons besides price?

After using the Sanwa OBSF buttons in my Icade core I find them a bit light and think I would prefer old school concave buttons for the upcoming Arcade1UP cabs. Just has that retro feel and feels more ergonomic imo.

Will obviously wait and see what the ones that come with it are like.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ever try Seimitsu buttons? I really don't like Sanwa ones as they're far too light, have Seimitsu buttons in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ever try Seimitsu buttons? I really don't like Sanwa ones as they're far too light, have Seimitsu buttons in everything.

I havent but im really set on concave shaped buttons and i dont think Seimitsu do them?

Master of the Universe

Yeah you're right, Seimitsu buttons are completely flat.

Depends what you want to play really. They're class for shmups and run n guns and the engagement range is really short, so you can get a billion presses in really quickly.

Concave American buttons just take too long to press for what I use them for. However if you're going for the authentic Irish arcade feel then yeah, they'd be the ones to go for as they were always in our machines here.

I'm interested in hearing what are in these machines, they might be happ already as buttons aren't particularly expensive.

So I got moved into my new house. And more importantly I got my main arcade machines moved in :)

I've always had my Egret 3 inside the house, but the Point Blank and Ridge Racer were out in the garage(usual concrete garage attached to a house). The Ridge Racer has had an issue since I got it, it needs to be powered up for about 30 mins(or more recently a few hours) and then powered off and on to actually fully start up and be playable. I have planned to swap out the PSU and whatever other bits are needed, but never got around to it.

Anyway, since being inside the house it powers up every time without issue! I'm guessing the better ambient temperature of the new arcade room(as opposed to a colder garage) is whats helping here, but what does that actually point to as the weak/faulty part? PSU, main board, caps issue on main board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

giving a Naomi system in the marketplace if anyone's interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

So I got moved into my new house. And more importantly I got my main arcade machines moved in :)

I've always had my Egret 3 inside the house, but the Point Blank and Ridge Racer were out in the garage(usual concrete garage attached to a house). The Ridge Racer has had an issue since I got it, it needs to be powered up for about 30 mins(or more recently a few hours) and then powered off and on to actually fully start up and be playable. I have planned to swap out the PSU and whatever other bits are needed, but never got around to it.

Anyway, since being inside the house it powers up every time without issue! I'm guessing the better ambient temperature of the new arcade room(as opposed to a colder garage) is whats helping here, but what does that actually point to as the weak/faulty part? PSU, main board, caps issue on main board?

Sounds like that issue has gotten worse over time Steve. When I sold it originally, it'd take a few clicks of the power switch & boot up fine. Similarly, I also had it in a cold enough concrete shed at the time! As for the cause, no idea, kinda 'feels' like a cap issue, or power supply perhaps. I seen a way to adapt a modern power supply for use with the Namco systems before, I'll see if I can find it. It'd be a cheap enough way to rule out the psu anyway.

Inviere wrote: »
    Sounds like that issue has gotten worse over time Steve. When I sold it originally, it'd take a few clicks of the power switch & boot up fine. Similarly, I also had it in a cold enough concrete shed at the time! As for the cause, no idea, kinda 'feels' like a cap issue, or power supply perhaps. I seen a way to adapt a modern power supply for use with the Namco systems before, I'll see if I can find it. It'd be a cheap enough way to rule out the psu anyway.

Yeah I did see something about that a while ago. It's a big bulky older PSU so getting that swapped out would be good.
    I got the monitor chassis recapped and some other bits as well so apart from the boot up issue(which is gone for the moment) it still runs great. It's a great machine and glad I could give it a home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

^ Where'd that T3 cab end up? Swore I seen a blurry pic of a lot in adverts with a T3 cab in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I've always had my Egret 3 inside the house, but the Point Blank and Ridge Racer were out in the garage(usual concrete garage attached to a house)...

love Ridge Racer !! There seems to be little interest for that game in arcade circles though, I never understood why. It was a super game, got great memories of it

airmax87 wrote: »
    ^ Where'd that T3 cab end up? Swore I seen a blurry pic of a lot in adverts with a T3 cab in the middle of it.

It made its way to OptimusPrime to undergo conversion into an MKII cab...then was moved on mid conversion to someone else, Jack Burton maybe? Not entirely sure :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It made its way to OptimusPrime to undergo conversion into an MKII cab...then was moved on mid conversion to someone else, Jack Burton maybe? Not entirely sure :)

Actually in a similar vein, what happened to your massive gunblade DX? I wonder did anyone ever get it working?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Actually in a similar vein, what happened to your massive gunblade DX? I wonder did anyone ever get it working?

Gave it to Mitch, god knows after that :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yep Jack Burton has that one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sure is! Of course it was added to the long long list of projects.

My garage is filled with house furniture now at the moment. Waiting till the weekend to clear it out. Finally get the place cleaned up. Some new shelving and I'm all set to move everything to permanent homes

BGOllie wrote: »
    love Ridge Racer !! There seems to be little interest for that game in arcade circles though, I never understood why. It was a super game, got great memories of it

I love it myself and am lucky to have picked it up for reasonable money. Its the upright version, which is a good size to live with. If it was the full size sit down one I dont think I'd use it as much, especially in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

so is it still a t3 cab or what lol

Would sheet aluminium be an option to make control panels for candy cabs (I think they are made of sheet steel normally)?

I'll have the ability to cut, mill and engrave aluminium(and others) soon and was thinking of a custom job with the artwork engraved and milled into the metal rather than applied as a sheet graphics afterwards. But I'm thinking aluminium in the thickness required would be too soft and not have the durability even for a flat piece like the panels on candies.

Anyone have any opinions on it? Or anyone using an aluminium panel at the moment?

Master of the Universe

That's a really interesting idea!

My SNK cab has a two piece control panel, you can see the bottom piece here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106143396&postcount=6847

So for a setup like that, you could use an aluminium engraved top piece which would be supported by the lower sheet metal.

Master of the Universe

Serious want for a new cab the last few weeks. Really miss having a two player SF2 setup. The Aero was great but it was just too big.

Kind of veering towards a Domy Jr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

if you can find one :(, would love one myself but the orangy colouring has always been my least favorite ,well that and the orangy on the naomi's

Advertisement