Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

geotrig wrote: »
    Lol
    There are cabs stashed all over the place. And outside of the cabs made here there was **** loads of arcades bitd. Private I reckon is bigger than any of us realise really as a lot of people have imported stuff over the years.

I dont know the number of Cabs on site vs private collection vs ones we dont know about in storage.

But ud have to reckon this good ole bunch on A&R have 50% at least of the Cabs in Ireland. Nice community we have on here.

Wasnt there a xls or thread done years ago of a&r cabs?

I wonder what is percentage of cabs outside of Dublin and Cork?
    Many arcades or arcade bars left outside those 2 county's?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Padraig Harrington has a load of cabs in his games room. Original bubble bobble and many more. I wonder is he here posting anon. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He'd be in the Arcade1Up thread, looking forward to Golden Tee!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This question occurred to me yesterday, when posting to BGOllie on FB.
    Would it be possible to build a dedicated spinner cab and have Super Hexagon on it?
    I have the game on PC and it has the regular old left and right controls via keystroke, but could this be instead controller by an arcade spinner?
    Any reason why it shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This question occurred to me yesterday, when posting to BGOllie on FB.
    Would it be possible to build a dedicated spinner cab and have Super Hexagon on it?
    I have the game on PC and it has the regular old left and right controls via keystroke, but could this be instead controller by an arcade spinner?
    Any reason why it shouldn't?

A spinner probably has a more analog and variable control, so it may be pointless using it for a game that requires digital inputs.

Your stick or buttons might do a better tactile job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Yup looks like a spinner would be wasted on the game unfortunately unless someone modded it but that would interfere with the difficulty and balance .

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221640/discussions/0/864951657987416967/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Padraig Harrington has a load of cabs in his games room. Original bubble bobble and many more. I wonder is he here posting anon. :D
    Wasn't bubble bobble just sold as a kit (Marquee and PCB) for a generic Taito cab.
    I think there is a video of his collection somewhere

Here it is, skip to 14:30

Here it is, skip to 14:30

Looks like a revenge from mars pin.
    definitely a pinball 2000 game.
    Hopefully for his sake not star wars ep1!

Looks like a revenge from mars pin.
    definitely a pinball 2000 game.
    Hopefully for his sake not star wars ep1!

There was better footage somewhere else
    **EDIT**
    It's Starwars Episode 1, loads of footage there, the Pacman is a 25th Anniversary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Paudrig claims to be into pinball and he's only got the one machine.

Chap wouldn't even be able to host a round of the pinball league with that setup :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That is the epitome of a culchie mansion!

o1s1n wrote: »
    That is the epitome of a culchie mansion!

Would it have a jar of Swarfega by the kitchen sink?

Doge wrote: »
    Yup looks like a spinner would be wasted on the game unfortunately unless someone modded it but that would interfere with the difficulty and balance .

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221640/discussions/0/864951657987416967/

Still, it might suggest that a Arcade1up Invaders cab would be the perfect donor to such a project....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I need a spreadsheet with every versus city setup in Ireland so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

airmax87 wrote: »
    I need a spreadsheet with every versus city setup in Ireland so

There wouldn't be many generic japanese cabinets in ireland at all, only ones I ever saw in operation were naomis. Imagine the Japanese importing silver line cabinets for 5 and 6 times the value here :)

The vast majority here have to be people who bought privately for home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone ever been to Tokyo just for the arcades?

Thinking of going this year with the kids 15 & 10, They are mad for the games / arcade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I plan to go in the future, I wont be in a position to go for 5+ years though. I would be going primarily for the arcades, Akihabara and to see Mt. Fuji.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I plan to go in the future, I wont be in a position to go for 5+ years though. I would be going primarily for the arcades, Akihabara and to see Mt. Fuji.

I'm looking at July this year. Been googling but have no clue what I'm looking at to be honest.

I know the names of the places we want to go to but haven't any notion where is best to stay, what district??

I want to be central (if that's a thing) and be able to walk or just jump on a bus, taxi, train etc.. and be able to get to each arcade.

Money is no object this year. if anyone comes along that has been , any advise is much appreciated.

I went for 3 weeks 4 years ago.
    Me and the missus.trip of a lifetime and in reality the arcades take a back seat once you get there!
    We went to loads and after a while they all blend into one but each is still an experience.
    Hold onto your wallet though.we spent the best part of 10k when all was said and done .we went to the Grand Prix too so that was cool even though it was a washout.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/old-arcade-machines-for-sale/20816392

Lots of slots but I see a Virtua racing, "loads of parts".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

They've been floating around a while, only thing of interest is virtua racing. No pcbs or otherwise unfortunately.

beejee wrote: »
    They've been floating around a while, only thing of interest is virtua racing. No pcbs or otherwise unfortunately.

€250 for a working norat too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I went 2months ago, it was a fab place, so good it remains on my bucket list. Stayed in Akihabara at Glansit Pod hotel. Loved the arcades and shopping there.

But little to do by midnight there. Went in the Shibuya Sq one nite then realised no way back so stayed out drinking til 7am lol

Down by Waters edge cud be better with kids as theres park and light show off skyscrapers, big wheel and walkable to Shibuya. If was ne stay 2 nights there and 2 nites Akihabara.

Also get to Kawasaki Kowloon Arcade 30 mins train away and get to the temples in north east and parks.Fab City

I akways believed Japan to be daunting but when there it's the easiest place to get around and plenty to do. Hong Kong was fab too if over that area for 2 nites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Another RKNOK.NL update. I think they are better in here than retro bargain thread?

I decided to start an auctionservice for cabinets and spares from Yahoo-auctions
    (or any other large items which cannot be shipped by mail)

Here’s how it works:
    If you want to place a bid on an auction

- Decide your max bid according to the following example :
    Cabinets in general (80x120x200 cm)

Final auction price : € 410 (50.000 yen)
    Local shipping in Japan : € 205 (25.000 yen)
    Warehousefee in Japan : € 82 (10.000 yen)
    International shippingfee : € 325
    (incl. customstax/handling)
    Local shipping Europe : € 150
    VAT 21% : € 246

Final price to your adress : € 1418

- 50% deposit of final price by Banktransfer or Paypal (will be refunded immediately if the auction is lost)
    - bid will be made after payment is recieved
    - Deliverytime is max. 4 months
    - Bids made CANNOT be retracted!

We will start this trial as of now to see i fit can work
    The idea is to depart a full container each 2 months, which will shorten the deliverytime
    If you send a bid and another bidder has a higher bid than we will inform you

Link for cabinets on yahoo
    http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084047783-category-leaf.html

For info mail to ronnie at rklok.nl

I was just about to post that. A deal of a cab working out over a grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was just about to post that. A deal of a cab working out over a grand!

It's actually insane. The guts of 300 euro before you've even paid for it to leave Japan.

Sure you might as well just wait and see what Ronnie had already imported to Europe.

I see palmersown bowl has closed down. Anyone from the area talk to the old owner to find out what's happening the cabs and boards?

Did they have anything nice.
    Spent a few euro on the sega rally 3 deluxe in kbowl Kildare last night.
    Very good game,force feed back and seat rumble is class.
    A game you could actually get better at unlike the raw thrills games which in my opinion are **** .
    Except big buck hunter of course !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I see palmersown bowl has closed down. Anyone from the area talk to the old owner to find out what's happening the cabs and boards?

There are new owners for the alley, the part where the games are is becoming a gym so I would imagine they will try to offload the games. Might be worth a knock on the door.

Advertisement