Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So I plugged the cab into our Irish mains.... nothing. Checked the fuses and it blew a 4A fuse, I thought could have been an issue from being underpowered with 110 so tried a new one. Blew the **** out of it instantly.

So something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Urgh terrible news , you may take out that board, looks crispy alright. (When you get time). Sour Candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Can't plugging something that's 240v into 110v damage it due to creating a higher resistance or something?

I'm no good with ohm's law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Doge wrote: »
    Can't plugging something that's 240v into 110v damage it due to creating a higher resistance or something?

I'm no good with ohm's law!

I'm not expert either bit when the entire machine is stamped and marked as 100v and there's a piece of masking tape with "220!!!" Written on it on the back of th machine, I think it was safe to assume it was 100v.

Ronnie never mentioned to me it was 220 so he has to fix anything that's wrong with it now

Tough position on that alright, i would always assume a japanese candy cab is 100v

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Some resellers of JAP candies in Europe sometimes install a step down transformer which you would find in Sega Naomi cabs - its a large transformer sitting inside the cab with no case like you would see in a 'normal' consumer stepdown.

Only downside is they aren't shielded (unless the installer builds a metal box to house it) so if in are installed in a Taito Egret 2or3 or Atomiswave style cab, the lower part of the monitor can be effected by its magnetic field.
    Note, the smaller stepdown in the Atomiswave cabs are in a little box - and when they are used in a Naomi the lower box of the cab itself acts as a shield so doesn't cause a problem.

Note: the PSU you see in a Egret 2or3/Atomiswave cab in its little box, thats not a stepdown (afaik) - a modded cab to use a Naomi stepdown would be bolted into a space in the back of the base of the cab

• Advertisement

Yeah it's got one in there. Guy over on AO told me about his one having it in there.

Very frustrating really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Jack what exactly happened when you pluged in the cab with the stepdown and without ? are you sure there isnt a rocker switch that needs to be triggered like in the blasts or the old electrocoins or a hidden on/off swith underneath ?

Do you have a picture of where the mains goes to? while i've rarely heard of an underpowered cab being damaged it has happened iirc.

When I plugged it in with the Stepdown I heard some feint noise coming from it. Then is stopped.

Plugging it into the wall just gives a small sound, but that's probably the fuse blowing.

There's only the 1 power switch as far as I can see. It's behind the front panel too, which is really odd to me. The switch is very very stiff too.

Going to pick up a few new fuses this morning and try them out, as Ronnie has suggested to me.

hopefully the fuse fixes it, i presume its a slow blow fuse ......also the power supplies on cyberleads are a supposed to be a bit **** at times.

geotrig wrote: »
    hopefully the fuse fixes it, i presume its a slow blow fuse ......also the power supplies on cyberleads are a supposed to be a bit **** at times.

Well there wasn't a slow blow in there to begin with. Just got a pack of new fuses, blowing them all.

This is turning into a right saga haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well there wasn't a slow blow in there to begin with. Just got a pack of new fuses, blowing them all.

This is turning into a right saga haha

If it was me I'd plug all the internal connections out and plug them back in 1 by 1 while powering up each time and checking if fuse blew, you need to try track down at what point it blows.

boo where is this fuse blowing ? at the arcade power supply ? if you can get a picture of the wiring power setup up here and AO im sure someone will /might see an issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Get a multimeter, its time to disconnect as much wiring as possible and starting measuring the resistance along the electrical path to find the short.

Stick up some (clear) pictures if you can.

Yeah I'll take the back off when I get home and get a proper look.

Ronnie told me to disconnect the internal Stepdown and run it off 110

Ronnie told me to disconnect the internal Stepdown and run it off 110

That's a strange thing to say....Would that defo not blow it up?

eddhorse wrote: »
    That's a strange thing to say....Would that defo not blow it up?
    it shouldnt as he is going

240 > stepdown 100v >cab power supply / monitor instead of

240 > transformer >cab power supply /montior

I'd measure the voltage out of the stepdown 1st though.

So got a few pictures. Nothing looks too bad but did see this disconnected green wire?

6YEREaT.jpg

r1J0Vyv.jpg

epKdwLf.jpg

The front panel looks to be the most suspect

VDnVK1Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That green wire is a chassis ground, should be no juice flowing through that unless there is a serious short elsewhere.

Those scorch marks look old probably from years of use, take a sniff and you'll know if its freshly burnt

like last bandit says scorch marks may be old residue

Now get out the multi meter and start to
    measure voltages ,1st place on the 220v transformer" in "side the "out " side. then continue along to the and follow the power until there is none.

Also that transformer is not a new addition. More than likely running of it a while.

There is slot of lose stuff is get out of the way also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is there no Euro compliant PSU that can just be swapped in? Id be afraid of my life I'd damage the machine. Surly its not the only Cyber-lead in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Have yee tried turnin it on n'off agen

Had to get some tools in the garage today so had a few mins to test it

Internal Stepdown reading 107, which should be good. So seems the problem is further in :(

Thats something at least ....you have this switch turned on ? might be worth stripping the ground wire and reconnecting to that point just in case its tripping the monitor .... but its prob grounded elsewhere anyway

Check voltages anywhere else? Monitor and jamma connector? Might be something simple, check continuity from stepdown from grounds

geotrig wrote: »
    Thats something at least ....you have this switch turned on ? might be worth stripping the ground wire and reconnecting to that point just in case its tripping the monitor .... but its prob grounded elsewhere anyway

Oh yeah it's on, blows the fuse the second I switch it on. There's a grounding point for the wire close to the PSU that has been cut. I'll reconnect it all and see how it goes then

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Ok try this

check your inline filter, is it blowing a fuse in the cab on the rcd on your house circuit?

disconnect the monitor from the power supply and test
    remove all the crap coins etc from the cab and check the monitor chassis for any screws etc that might have shorted it out

you also need to get measurements for further along after the transformer and see of any power is getting out of the power supply , the fuse you replaced was it a std 4A fuse ? Did the original have a (T) on it ?

there is a wiring diagram on the ao wiki (at the end of the manual , it will give you the pinouts to read from the ps

Ok try this

check your inline filter, is it blowing a fuse in the cab on the rcd on your house circuit?

disconnect the monitor from the power supply and test
    remove all the crap coins etc from the cab and check the monitor chassis for any screws etc that might have shorted it out
    Success, disconnected the monitor and the marquee powers up. Reconnected the monitor and blew a fuse again.

I'll go though the monitor now and see what's causing this

• Advertisement

Hoorah progress

Advertisement