Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Went through a few more fuses tonight and no more progress.

I'm almost sure it's a monitor chassis issue so I'll take it out tomorrow and give it a clean, use a slow blow fuse and see what's what then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Inside Fukushima's red zone: Eerie photos show abandoned SEGA arcade 'covered in radioactive dust' in off-limits area near nuclear power plant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6751071/Inside-Fukushimas-red-zone-Abandoned-SEGA-arcade-covered-radioactive-dust.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jesus that is amazing, probably a few treasures there worth getting cancer for :)

Jesus that is amazing, probably a few treasures there worth getting cancer for :)

Looks like ,I was beaten to it by Cosmic Smash:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109545067&postcount=554

He even went to the effort of posting pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's an episode of Dark Tourist, not sure exactly which one, but he goes into that arcade for a few moments, pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would love to go in there with a drill and crack open all those cabs, am sure there are some amazing PCBs inside.

Quick run through a dishwasher to get rid of the fallout dust.. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever come across a quick change gate for an arcade stick? I've one on my Micomsoft stick but haven't seen one for a cab before.

I've my Pony set up with a 4 way gate on player 1 and an 8 way on player 2.

Means I can play the classics vertical multiboard properly with a 4 way stick and then the rest of my shmups as player 2 with an 8 way. (Kinda works as the player 2 position is more central when playing vertical shmups)

Problem is, when someone pops over we want to play 2 player Mercs or something similar, one gate is 4 way and really awkward and almost unplayable! Would be great to be able to twist the player 1 stick or something to change it to an 8 way gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone ever come across a quick change gate for an arcade stick? I've one on my Micomsoft stick but haven't seen one for a cab before.

I've my Pony set up with a 4 way gate on player 1 and an 8 way on player 2.

Means I can play the classics vertical multiboard properly with a 4 way stick and then the rest of my shmups as player 2 with an 8 way. (Kinda works as the player 2 position is more central when playing vertical shmups)

Problem is, when someone pops over we want to play 2 player Mercs or something similar, one gate is 4 way and really awkward and almost unplayable! Would be great to be able to twist the player 1 stick or something to change it to an 8 way gate.

No links for you, but I’m certain I’ve seen ones that were electrically switched before, so you don’t even have to open up the cp to change gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

This is what you're looking for, I think I saw a Mame frontend plugin for it that automatically changes the gate depending on the game.

http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

There is also the less fancier Mag Stick Plus which allows you to change the gate by pulling up and rotating the joystick as you said.

http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.htm

I was very close to buying 2 of these for my cab but wasn't sold by the magnetic centering stick. Sounded a bit more clunky than the Sanwas.

• Advertisement

I didn't get a chance to take out that chassis in the Cyberlead, probably won't over the weekend either, I'm pretty busy.

I do have a fluke multimeter on the way to me though from a fried so I'll be able to get accurate readings with that. I'm sure I'll sort it out.

Real question is how do I approach it with Ronnie? I paid him with PayPal so at least theres that. But not to be a dickhead but I bought it working and it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

The problem is he can say the same. I.e that he shipped it working and that same was caused by end user plugging it in incorrectly. So just be mindful on wording. This is why I've always hated selling pcbs on eBay.
    My advice would be to determine what is causing it to shortout 1st,things get loosened and jolted about in shipping if a "repair "is needed see will he will cover the fix, he has offered different things in the past to sort things so may not be unreasonable.

geotrig wrote: »
    The problem is he can say the same. I.e that he shipped it working and that same was caused by end user plugging it in incorrectly. So just be mindful on wording. This is why I've always hated selling pcbs on eBay.
    My advice would be to determine what is causing it to shortout 1st,things get loosened and jolted about in shipping if a "repair "is needed see will he will cover the fix, he has offered different things in the past to sort things so may not be unreasonable.

Yeah I'll have to get it sorted out first off, I'll get the chassis off tomorrow night hopefully and get it washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Ronnie clearly sells a lot of cabs and I'm sure many of those to customers that have far less technical troubleshooting shooting skills than you Jack. Plus these cabs are 10 to 20 years old and have seen plenty of action.

I can only imagine the f*ckery from absolute dopes he's had to deal with.

Aa mentioned, a carefully worded letter documenting your genuine attempts to fault find will hopefully yield a positive outcome.

I'd personally hold off washing it, I'm not o fan of it TBH( and even when I worked in an electronics place before compressed air and brushes was all we used to clean boards) I'd pull the chassis dust clean off check for any blown chips and any wire cable ghat got disconnected ,abajillion pics and connect it all back up and see how that goes

I'd personally hold off washing it, I'm not o fan of it TBH( and even when I worked in an electronics place before compressed air and brushes was all we used to clean boards)

Yeah, I'd be the same. Just wouldn't chance it and Ronnie would likely take a dim view of it if you decide to go back to him on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Doge wrote: »
    There is also the less fancier Mag Stick Plus which allows you to change the gate by pulling up and rotating the joystick as you said.

http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.htm

I was very close to buying 2 of these for my cab but wasn't sold by the magnetic centering stick. Sounded a bit more clunky than the Sanwas.

Also the Servo stick.
    https://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

servostik_base.jpg

eddhorse wrote: »

Yeah that's the one The Last Bandit linked to originally.

Tis a clever little device.

Got the chassis out anyway.

What's the verdict?

IZY7lSX.jpg

looks ok for the back of a chassis :pac: give it a good dusting off removing any debris check all wiring and if it has continuity ,especiall because of the tape ,check the other wiring internally to make sure noting is loose etc, check the chassis parts side for any burnt out chips . after that hook it back up and recheck all wiring to make sure nothing shorting or causing it to trip.

• Advertisement

looks ok for the back of a chassis :pac: give it a good dusting off removing any debris check all wiring and if it has continuity ,especiall because of the tape ,check the other wiring internally to make sure noting is loose etc, check the chassis parts side for any burnt out chips . after that hook it back up and recheck all wiring to make sure nothing shorting or causing it to trip.
    I gave it a clean last night, did a few checks. I never copped the tape could be hiding something so I'll check that out too.

I already emailed Ronnie to see if he has a replacement chassis or if I'll get this repaired and he covers the cost. Because my soldering skills are pretty basic, not to mention that my time is pretty limited, and I'll probably need to get it sent away for anything that really needs to be done to it.

I gave it a clean last night, did a few checks. I never copped the tape could be hiding something so I'll check that out too.

I already emailed Ronnie to see if he has a replacement chassis or if I'll get this repaired and he covers the cost. Because my soldering skills are pretty basic, not to mention that my time is pretty limited, and I'll probably need to get it sent away for anything that really needs to be done to it.

perfect course of action at least this way it leaves the ball in his court, might be worth a reconnect to to do one final test as things can get jiggled around when being transported and knocked out of place.

perfect course of action at least this way it leaves the ball in his court, might be worth a reconnect to to do one final test as things can get jiggled around when being transported and knocked out of place.

That's my plan for today, want to just get a bit of compressed air and blast off thelast bit of crud from through pcb

Still didn't get a chance to hook up the monitor.

The chassis is being send to Grant anyway and Ronnie is paying for it so hopefully that will sort it all out.

Still didn't get a chance to hook up the monitor.

The chassis is being send to Grant anyway and Ronnie is paying for it so hopefully that will sort it all out.

Great news

When I bought my Blast city it arrived DOA.
    It was from that chance bag not ronnie.
    Cant remember his name.
    sent the chassis to grant also.
    Good result.

When I bought my Blast city it arrived DOA.
    It was from that chace bag not ronnie.
    Cant remember his name

Jeff?

Jeff?

Thats him!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah yes, good oul Digitalsystemsdesign - from what I heard the cabs weren't really cleaned up at all before shipping and you were absolutely screwed if anything went wrong.

Advertisement